(apologies for any mistakes made in posting)

15618966157_252d04085c_o.jpg

A Lego diesel-electric shunting engine, based on the BR 08 class.

Although I'm not a huge fan of non-steam locomotives, this brick-on-wheels is an exception. I love 'em. I'm happy with how this one turned out, especially since it presented several challenges - the detailing on its side being one of them - and an area in which I sadly failed is its hazard stripes. I like to try and limit myself to official Lego bricks and stickers but I might have to admit defeat and print out a custom sheet. Its rear end looks oddly bare when it ought to be covered in hazards.

Great colours very true to the source material. The door pieces are very cleverly used. The overall shape is just fantastic, great job.

It looks good especially for one only 6 studs wide. Did you manage to get any PF or other insiue it, if so I'd love to see how as I struggled with my 7 wide version.

Why is everybody calling a clearly 8 wide loco 6 wide? the yellow front alone (which is superb by the way, the best rendition I have ever seen!) is six wide, then you have the footplate to add to that, and the full width eight wide cab on the rear - see the studs on the floor? count em!

The cab interior is brilliant too, the loco is captured very well.

The loco does appear a little short, is this for practical reasons, i.e. coupling issues on corners? In any case the level of detail attained is outstanding.

As for the cab stripes, you could phone lego customer services and get them to sell you a couple of spare sticker sheets from 60052, that would keep it 100% genuine lego. They are very obliging, even if they are not listed as spares.

Edited by Heppeng

Really nice 08 representation, although, as Heppeng said, I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea it's 6 wide! lol

Nice looking 8-wide shunter.

8wide is really the right way to go if you strive for a realistic look.

Seeing your three locomotives makes me think you are (heavily) inspired by the work of Bricktrix (Carl Greatrix).

Edited by Selander

It looks like you have used BBB wheels on it?

Nope, those are the official Lego train wheels, they're just hidden a little within the frame of the engine (it looked too tall otherwise).

Why is everybody calling a clearly 8 wide loco 6 wide?

Correct! I've seen many six-wide versions of this same locomotive and none of them seem to capture the correct proportions, so 8 wide was the way to go.

The loco does appear a little short, is this for practical reasons, i.e. coupling issues on corners?

More of a misjudgement on my part; I usually begin with the wheelbase and work my way up; and at that stage the loco appeared long enough... :blush: If I ever retool this build I'll add an extra 4 studs of length, I think.

As for the cab stripes, you could phone lego customer services and get them to sell you a couple of spare sticker sheets from 60052, that would keep it 100% genuine lego.

I already thought of that :wink: But the stripes in that set are actually yellowish-orange, not yellow, so they wouldn't match the rest of the colour scheme.

Seeing your three locomotives makes me think you are (heavily) inspired by the work of Bricktrix (Carl Greatrix).

This is true, although in an unusual way. I was blown away by Bricktrix's work but massively let down when I realised that he modified pieces. In my opinion that's cheating, if you're going to modify parts you might as well not use Lego at all! So with my MOCs I like to try and achieve something approaching his standard, but with no modified parts. :classic:

Did you manage to get any PF or other insiue it, if so I'd love to see how as I struggled with my 7 wide version.

I didn't even try to, although it might be possible given the large amount of unused space within it.

Thanks everyone for the replies and praise! :sweet:

Edited by Kumata