Kumata

[MOC] Small Saddle Tank steam locomotive

(apologies for any mistakes made in posting)

15804153925_e798ffeb12_o.jpg

Another Lego 'Saddle Tank' locomotive of my own design, this time a little 0-4-0 that draws inspiration from the locomotive Sir Cecil A. Cochrane (pictured).

This time around my main objective was to incorporate cylinder cocks into the design, but since I was also adamant about creating a smaller-sized locomotive this turned out to be incredibly frustrating as I had a narrow area to work with. I actually cheated a bit; the wheels aren't official Lego wheels but an invention of custom parts manufacturer Big Ben Bricks.

I also realise now that a few pieces were missing from the front of the cab when I took these photos. No idea how that slipped by me!

I agree, it's got a character all its own.

Thanks, I think this is the exact 'feel' I am trying to capture with my locomotive MOCs.

Why didn't you use the same saddle design as your other locomotive? I think the other one suggests a saddle much more than this one; this one is more pear-shaped.

Why didn't you use the same saddle design as your other locomotive?

Felt like it would be lazy for me to just repeat the same design, so I tried to experiment with different boiler proportions. But you're right, it doesn't really semble a saddle tank very much. Looking at it now I actually think this design would look a lot better on a tender engine.

I'd be tempted to lower the whole boiler by a plate or two, as well as shortening the sides of the tank, but otherwise a very interesting little design.

If only there was an easy way to motor smaller locos like this.