Kumata

[MOC] Saddle Tank steam locomotive

(apologies for any mistakes in posting)

15619298440_276d4e8302_o.jpg

A Lego 'Saddle Tank' locomotive of my own design, based on the Austerity 0-6-0 class - my personal favourite kind of steam locomotive.

Overall I'm not as pleased with the result of this one as I am with my Pannier Tank, but curves are very difficult to recreate when you're using Lego bricks. Another challenge is my aim with designs to combine two (often opposing) design aesthetics: realism and playability. For example I have had to adjust its proportions compared to the real thing so that minifigs can stand inside the cab and see out of the front windows.

You've been very busy ...three MOCs in one day! ;-)

Very nice!

Haha, these were all built at different times, it's just that yesterday I was convinced that maybe I ought to share my stuff so far with the Eurobricks forumgoers. :laugh:

Very nice indeed! The shape is really well done and the colour scheme is beautiful. I only am not so sure about those white headlight. But other than that: Good job!

Very nice indeed! The shape is really well done and the colour scheme is beautiful. I only am not so sure about those white headlight. But other than that: Good job!

It's the standard lamp design used on British Railways.

A_side_mounted_tank_engine.jpg

Unless you meant the way I've built them?

I tend to prefer to have a 1 stud round plate on top to represent the handle/cap at the top (see the one in my sig for another example), but otherwise I do pretty much the same thing for lamps. It's the most obvious way to represent British steam era head and tail lamps.

Edited by Redimus

^ I've started using the lever base (without stick) to represent them.

Very nice design, I have to say! For some reason I'd not considered using that curved piece before.