I wanted to program something complicated using my NXT so I build a motion simulator as seen in amusement parks or fun fares.

I haven't programmed it yet as it proves rather difficult, especially because I can't make an android app to communicate with my NXT via bluetooth, or just simple light flashes.

The programming NXT-wise is actually really simple, it's just very time consuming as there are a lot of different and simultaneous movements during a roller coaster ride.

I figured I'd make a roller coaster in RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and record the 1st-person view of the ride.

I made no efforts on programming or ride building yet as I don't want to waste my time if I can't get an app up and running **hint hint**

kKtQ3qr.jpg

knpltEb.jpg

lHnu4zw.jpg

ZEvW8mm.jpg

EFUcl0a.jpg

4d6TeYo.jpg

Wh6KKCo.jpg

ODegJri.jpg

o0woZh9.jpg

3PWZCxM.jpg

wZj7vAA.jpg

iJty5n0.jpg

Those are the pictures, it sure is a good thing that LEGO is so flexible :laugh: otherwise I'd have to make something way more complicated to tilt the house.

The scissor lifts are a bit tall I know, but at least it makes for a good headroom in case I need to make something like fall straight down like a power launch tower

The doors are functional as well, see video.

I don't want to bother on stairs and such since I just wanted something to program, but since I cannot make phone apps this project will stay as you see here.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen
Added missing images

Really unique Idea! So how did you wanted it to work. Will the video from RCT3 be in anyway connected to the controls, or will you just program it so that it siuts the video? I also don't understand why it is necessary to produce a phone app, can't you do without it? I would really like this one go through to the finish...

I was going to make something like that, just couldn't remember what it was called. haha.

I worked out how to make it all synced, just haven't had the time.

You don't need an app to make it work tho. :grin:

Great job tho!

I'm pretty sure in the Uk (early 90's) they were called shuttles or something.

That's pretty awesome! :thumbup: To dot the I (i), there should definately be some kind of gyroscopically/accellerometerically (is that a word? :laugh:) oriented picture/video on the phone! :wink:

Well because I want an app, is because I want this to happen

1. Select a roller coaster track from a drop down list on the phone
  2. Press start button on phone
  3. Insert phone into the simulator
  4. After 15 seconds or so the phone will start to display the video and is synced with the NXT via simple light flashes using a light sensor and the phones light on the back
  5. Option for recording with the phones front camera in case I wanted to have some fun with a hamster or other critter

It's not a whole lot the app should do, I already tried using Delphi XE7 to make an app as I used that program before but apparently it is more complicated than I thought, mainly due to some strange programming logic which I can't figure out how to fix.

Wow, very cool! That's a very original MOC too. What I love most, are the doors :sweet::thumbup:

Well because I want an app, is because I want this to happen

1. Select a roller coaster track from a drop down list on the phone
  2. Press start button on phone
  3. Insert phone into the simulator
  4. After 15 seconds or so the phone will start to display the video and is synced with the NXT via simple light flashes using a light sensor and the phones light on the back
  5. Option for recording with the phones front camera in case I wanted to have some fun with a hamster or other critter

It's not a whole lot the app should do, I already tried using Delphi XE7 to make an app as I used that program before but apparently it is more complicated than I thought, mainly due to some strange programming logic which I can't figure out how to fix.

Just thinking, why not make the movements directed form the phone app, this way you only need to code the NXT to do comes with the phone using Bluetooth and act on the moves. then you don't need to keep doing long coding in the NXT just one generic program. of course you need to add the code now to the app, but it would keep all the bits in the right place. Could that work?

That would work too, but I'm not sure if bluetooth is fast enough for it. I'd love to test it but if I can't even program the simple "select and run" app, then how would I make it work with bluetooth?

Nah, I need someone to make an app for me. Or I guess, I could simply have a time on the start button on NXT, and when I press the NXT 10 seconds will countdown, while the video on the phone will run simultaneously. Only problem will be a few synchronization errors at times, not making for a good ride. Although..... who's gonna test ride it? I don't have a hamster. Yet.