Left: Bright Green, right: Normal Green:

4432a_11.jpg

so, joining bright green and normal green will be like mlitary green :grin:

Guys, I really don't like the fact that TLG changed the changeover catch system.

I was excited about introducing the 16 gear clutched, but IMO this kind of change is too much.

Guys, I really don't like the fact that TLG changed the changeover catch system.

I was excited about introducing the 16 gear clutched, but IMO this kind of change is too much.

Think about it on other way: It was sometimes annoying to place driving ring inside a model, because it needs 0,5 stud displacement. With new parts, it will be not necessary.

Edited by M_longer

I am looking forward to seeing the reviews,not log now. :classic:

The minute I see a hamster there is one picture I can't get out of my head.

hamster-kiwifruit.jpg

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

The gearbox is used to switch function between opening doors and lifting the hatchback.

Another great oportunity to see proper gear transmission is wasted.Thanks designers :hmpf_bad: .Im interesting if kids really want this kind of gearbox or rather want to see changing speed of piston rotation.

The gearbox is used to switch function between opening doors and lifting the hatchback.

That's déja-vu ... as in the 8070 red car

This review topic has got a lot of traffic in it considering there aren't any reviews here yet!

(waiting impatiently)

Well, the good news is that I should have all reviews on time. I was worried a bit about making 9 reviews in two weeks. But it looks like I'll make 10 or 11 of them with some MOCing in between. Sleep is for the weak ;)

I'm interesting if kids really want this kind of gearbox or rather want to see changing speed of piston rotation.

I believe TLG actually researched this for 8070 and found out kids prefered the function switcher rather than a piston engine that can be set to slow or fast using an intricate gear system. I think that, to a kid, the latter seems kind of pointless, which could leave him wondering what all the fuss of gears eventually all leading to the same function (the pistons moving), would even be about.

Also I hope the new 3L driving ring is an improvement. I think I'd rather have seen some extra parts that would make half-stud offsets easier. I think 1 x 1 x 1 is too large of a unit to be the smallest unit in almost all of Technic. I understand it's easier in sets for kids, but I think it makes things a bit less compact.

... I understand it's easier in sets for kids, but I think it makes things a bit less compact.

Technic should be technical. That is the exact reason I first got into Technical Lego back with 853; I wanted something challenging, not easy. I hope that TLG aren't looking at the whole Technic range with a view to making it easier for kids, or anyone for that matter.

From my first Technic set 8860, my thing were always the big car sets. And to be honest the gearbox never made sense to me because the wheels having an effect on the engine never felt right.

I did understand what was happening and why but I felt It did not have a point. I always hoped for a motorized model where the gearbox could make a difference.

Yeah, I was not really aware of the lackluster motor performance and it's implications.

That being said I remember really appreciating the evolution of the gearbox from 8860 to 8865 and 8880 even if it was a Lego evolution rather than a mechanical evolution.

Furthermore models without gearbox felt really uninteresting no matter how fancy the mechanism for the doors was however Silver Champion which introduced new suspension felt amazing.

In the end even with its cons I valuated the gearbox -or suspension- over other gimmicks, so a sequential gearbox with paddles is in the wish list for an 8880 successor.

edit: Hmm this is supposed to be about Sariel's non released yet reviews and I thought I was on 2015 discussion and speculation, sorry. (albeit he teased us hard and way too early! )

Edited by aol000xw

I hope that TLG aren't looking at the whole Technic range with a view to making it easier for kids, or anyone for that matter.

TLG is looking with a view to make a profit. If the people who pay for Technic sets pay more for sets which are easier, then sets will become easier.

That said, comparing new sets like 8043 or 8258 to old sets like 8865 or 8868, I think that in general, sets are not becoming easier. I hope the new gearbox system will open up more possibilities (and I think having done away with that half-stud offset will indeed bring more possibilities witin reach of TLG's target audience - children).

I've heard his hamster has eaten the none-disclosure agreement, so Sariel can't check the date he is allowed to publish his reviews. Because of that, he will probably put all of them online them this evening! :grin:

Nice video review right there, and very "comfortable" voice of the reviewer, if you know what I mean! Most reviews on youtube aren't really critical reviews, just mute, shaky videos showing the functions. Then there are those who try, but fail due to a number of factors (one of them can be a really annoying voice). And on top you have guys like this JANGBRiCKS and also Sariel for that matter (although he relies on text and not voiceover).

Might be my opinion alone though... :sweet:

Might be my opinion alone though... :sweet:

Nope. I agree :sweet::thumbup:

Good review, thanks for linking it :classic: He indeed has a pleasant voice to listen to.

Edited by jantjeuh

We watch JANGBRiCKS reviews wth my girlfriend all the time.

Edited by Lipko

Richard, I took the liberty of adding your review in the first post :)

on top you have guys like this JANGBRiCKS and also Sariel for that matter (although he relies on text and not voiceover).

Thanks :) I always appreciate a good voiceover, but I think text makes videos more accessible. Firstly, you don't need sound, secondly more people understand written than spoken English. But that's just me.