I sort of stumbled across the idea of building an armored car. It happened when I was browsing through some of the 1/35 models at a hobby store, I saw a few British variants of armored cars. Following that day one foot of snow fell. I then researched some armored cars, a new sort of a project for me. As a am usually used to building tracked vehicles, having little experience with 4x4 vehicles ( this is my first 4x4). This vehcle is sort of a hybrid between a crawler and a tank. It will have a durable chassis with a 2 speed transmission powered by 2 XL motors. I would say that the gear ratios will be around a 3:1 for the low gear and 1:1 for high. With the current axle that I have built, it has portal hubs that add an additional 3:1 ratio to the driveline.

the real vehicle

72_aec_01.jpg

blueprints scaled with Sariel's blueprint scaler.

15767573971_03d2774544_c.jpgAEC MK.III armored car blueprints by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Here's the frontal axle, it still lacks the steering motor and gear reduction.

15584122288_40d48f3242_c.jpgLego AEC MK. III Armored car 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15584118198_4818048096_c.jpgLego AEC MK. III Armored car 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Good choice, I am looking forward to your progress, I hopevthe snow holds up until you finis it, it would be so cool seeing it on snow and see how your snow chain concept works.

Looking good :classic: Although that caster angle on the front axle will make handling a bit weird :sceptic:

it lacks the springs so the caster angle will be closer to perpendicular with the ground, the whole model is propped up by a XL motor. Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

it lacks the springs so the caster angle will be closer to perpendicular with the ground, the whole model is propped up by a XL motor.

Ah, okay. It seemed to me that the XL motor was there to simulate the final ride height.

Ah, okay. It seemed to me that the XL motor was there to simulate the final ride height.

That would be way too high for the vehicle, It would have problems with mounting plates for the front and the sides.

15598703437_1eabe98198_c.jpgLego AEC MK III Armored car (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Transmission was added to the model, with a 12:1 in low gear and 4:1 in high gear (portal axle reductions included). Rear suspension was added, the steering motor was mounted with steering box on the rack and pinion. Though the motor may be moved to lower the area near the axles for the fenders.

You're making short work of this, keep it up!

It should be short work, until I start working on the body, that may cause me to have to redesign parts to fit the proper shape of the body. I'm just trying to make the chassis as low profile as possible and hopefully I will find a way to cover up those XL motors. For protection when I drive it in the snow.

15228394423_13b5de6bd3_c.jpgLego AEC MK. III armored car (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I finally have some more progress after this past week, I had several tests in classes and a 4000 word paper to type. The frontal shocks were removed and remounted and fenders were added. I'm not exactly sure how I will be mounting the battery box though I'm thinking under the turret.

15851396511_c2dbdbaa72_c.jpgLego AEC MK. III Armored car (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Some work on the body, there was some minor changes to the steering mechanism to make it fit into the sides of the vehicle,more clearance was added to the frontal suspension, so it has a greater travel. Next part to be added will be the turret ring and turret,

15667618447_5901b9fcbd_c.jpgLego AEC MK. III Armored car (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Buy the volvo set!

I don't have the money for that and I plan to finish this model up sometime next week, then I will be building another tank before christmas...

Looks like you have a large collection of StarWars sets (LBG color) ... either that or you're depleting bricklink's supply of grey parts :)

Nonetheless, looks very nice. I like especially your use of plates, as I'm not a fan of protruding 'studs'.

Edited by DrJB

Looks like you have a large collection of StarWars sets (LBG color) ... either that or you're depleting bricklink's supply of grey parts :)

Nonetheless, looks very nice. I like especially your use of plates, as I'm not a fan of protruding 'studs'.

I "had" quite a few Star Wars sets, but they eventually turned into my armored vehicles.I did purchase quite a few hundred grey tiles off of Bricklink. Here's an example of one of my first models, without many tiles.

1383541046m_DISPLAY.jpg