Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Styrvoky

[CONCEPT] Snow Chains

Well after receiving aver a foot of snow yesterday, I thought about building a crawler like vehicle and after some thought. I wondered if anyone had ever used actual lego chains for snow chains. All I have seen used us rubber bands and bricks. so here's my idea for chains. The chains can move but they will eventually get caught on the tread of the tires and pull on the chains.

15150134113_e8f817fc5a_c.jpg

snow chains concept by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

There has been some discussion about using those chains in the thread dedicated to 8110 modifications. But it's a very long thread so I can't point you to exact place.

Yeah i already thought about that! I only used 3 tho... Imo it works fine :) we'lo see this winter

I use that idea last year and that doesn't change really much the snow performance of the truck.

It does look awesome tho.

15774115832_b4657b809a_c.jpgDSC02184 by Ti_Max, on Flickr

Edited by Ti-Max

Like others have said, though they look great, the chains do little to enhance snow driving (in my experience).

tim

I have a pile of snow chains out side, they hook to the wheel hubs and latch together, both Lego concepts look good but It don't have that net/mesh style chain link as the ones I have. Other then that looks awesome! :classic: Now you just need to improve on it before the snow melts.

I think the main thing you can do to improve snow traction is get some proper tires (read: third party). LEGO tires behave about as well as plastic tires on snow :tongue: