Capn Frank

USS Constitution: a work in progress

Wow amazing, thats a verry nice model, i wish i had as many bricks, so that i could try some large scale models such as that. however on a limited income.... However it looks great and as sly owl mentioned, its gonna be hard keeping that thing dust free. The bow looks amazing, i love it. What type of cannon are you using? (sorry if u posted this erlier, but i didn't want to go through 14 pages of piratey goodness :) )

very very very very very biautiful!! is it in real lego scale? and the cannons, are you only going to use the standard ones or make different sizes by yourself? well good luck with your work! i hope the ship will become even prettier than it already is! :pir-blush:

Here's a pic of some of the 20 carronades and 2 non-moc cannons that will populate the spar (top) deck.

prog3_atlantis3.png

The gun deck will contain 30 non-moc cannons.

I've got all the brown carriages and wheels i need on the way in B-L orders. :pir-classic:

I would like to put the new cannon in the brown carriages. :pir-sweet:

It's starting to look really great Phred, when do you think she's finished?

The smaller vessels look great and i love it that the turtlesub is still in one piece! :thumbup:

I don't think that little sub will ever be parted out. :pir-cry_happy:

Hopefully by June for the Brickworld Convention.

It'll be a good way to commemorate the return of Pirates! :pirate:

Did your brother unpack his bricks?

Otherwise me might need to use some persuasive techniques..... :jollyroger:

NO! :imperialguard_commander1:

I think he does need some persuasion.

:cannon:

Please tell me you're going to tile the deck in brown? It'll be so much easier to keep dust-free, and the minifigs will always be falling over, just like in one of my MOCs!

But if you don't, I'll never talk to you again :pir_mad:

:pir-tongue:

Well its been great talking with you Captain SlyOwl, but unfortunately the deck is not going to be tiled.

When it's fully complete, i don't want to carefully pose 400+ crewmen on a tiled deck. :pir_wacko:

Dusting will probably be done with canned air and Q-tips. :thumbup:

Or i could pull a Z, and never dust it. :pir-laugh:

Awesome! Are you going to have other stuff like this (like that topic about how to get cannons in and out by twisting a capstan)? And pleeeeease have a compulsory collapsing mast! And a monkey, parrot and shark :pir-grin:

Eh... ...no. :imperialguard_commander1:

The masts will be semi-removable, but not collapsable. :pir-sick:

I do plan on having the chain pumps fully operational though. :pir-grin:

very very very very very beautiful!! is it in real lego scale? and the cannons, are you only going to use the standard ones or make different sizes by yourself? well good luck with your work! i hope the ship will become even prettier than it already is! :pir-blush:

Thank you YnyklY. :pir-classic:

And yes it is in real lego scale.

Your ship is getting better and better Phred! I truely love the small sailboat. :pir-wub:

Good choice to fill your gun decks with non-MOC cannons, a few MOC cannons on higher decks would be great but filling the whole ship with it takes so much time. :pir-laugh: And money. :pir-oh3:

I'm looking forward on your next update.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Good choice to fill your gun decks with non-MOC cannons, a few MOC cannons on higher decks would be great but filling the whole ship with it takes so much time. :pir-laugh: And money. :pir-oh3:

I've gotten all the black barrels and R2-D2 bodies i need, just awaiting my next order that has all of the 1x6 tan tiles.

Then all of the carronades will be complete. :pir-cry_happy:

I've gotten only 1 or 2 of those $2.50, black barrels per order for the last year and a half.

I've gotten all the black barrels and R2-D2 bodies i need, just awaiting my next order that has all of the 1x6 tan tiles.

Then all of the carronades will be complete. :pir-cry_happy:

I've gotten only 1 or 2 of those $2.50, black barrels per order for the last year and a half.

Can't wait to see your ship filled up with cannons!

Man, it would be almost an honour when your ship fires my vessel to the bottom of the oceans! :pir_laugh2:

Dear Phred,

the ship is looking really good on those pictures.

The small boats are really well done, with some nice techniques. :thumbup:

I agree with SlyOwl and do hope you will tile the decks,

since it will add a lot to the "realism"/ apperance of the vessal. :pir-classic:

I really like the use of custom made guns (in this case your caronades)!

I always like to use costum made guns myself as well.

So keep up the nice building.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Very nice, Phred! I just love how you made those cannones and the deck itself looks awesome too.

And I think one can make a fine vessel without tiling them, especcialy if it has a good-looking crew! (therefore I would dispatch that weird looking Captain Skullhead with the giant-poo-parrot on his hand :pir-laugh: )

Good work, Phred :thumbup: .

Can't wait to see your ship filled up with cannons!

Man, it would be almost an honour when your ship fires my vessel to the bottom of the oceans! :pir_laugh2:

No problem. Your ship will be the first one i sink. :pir-devil:

the ship is looking really good on those pictures.

The small boats are really well done, with some nice techniques. :thumbup:

I agree with SlyOwl and do hope you will tile the decks,

since it will add a lot to the "realism"/ apperance of the vessal. :pir-classic:

I really like the use of custom made guns (in this case your caronades)!

I always like to use costum made guns myself as well.

So keep up the nice building.

Thank you Teddy! :thumbup:

I don't think i will be tiling this ship. I'd need A LOT of tiles! and I like to add "legoism" to a lego model. :pir-wink:

I've never tiled an entire ship deck before. If i do, i'd start on a much smaller vessel first to see how i like it.

And I think one can make a fine vessel without tiling them, especcialy if it has a good-looking crew!

Thank you Zorro. Although i think i'll leave SlyOwl alone (for now :pir-grin: ).

Update!:

When i first built the stern portion, i made the angle such that it was 4 studs too wide in the back.

So i rebuilt almost all of the stern so that it fits much better with the actual ship.

Here's how far i got:

102_0191.jpg

I've gotten the rigging channel installed and ready for the main mast.

Now i just have to get more modified 1x1 bricks with studs on 2 or 4 sides to complete it. :pir-sceptic:

The rigging channel is removable.

When it's on, it holds the stern with the rest of the ship.

102_0193.jpg

When the channel is removed, it's real easy to take the stern off the rest of the ship.

Plus, there are many blue technic pins, part of which are axles, to keep the decks lined up perfectly.

102_0196.jpg

I've started on the captains cabin, I have where the Mizzen mast is going to be, and I have the "first draft" of the steering wheels.

102_0200.jpg

A close up of the steering wheels and the started Mizzen Mast.

102_0198.jpg

And a close up of the barely started captains cabin.

Spent A LOT of time to get this far.

The Single pane is just "wedged" in there. :pir-sceptic:

Connecting it to the adjacent window sill didn't seem to work (at all).

Also, the yellow "cheese wedge" will be replaced with a white one and the red and gray under the windows will be black once i order more of them on BL.

I am utterly low on many of my black bricks right now. :pir-cry_sad:

(his pic above - RTN LNA)

And a close up of the barely started captains cabin.

Spent A LOT of time to get this far.

The Single pane is just "wedged" in there. :pir-sceptic:

Connecting it to the adjacent window sill didn't seem to work (at all).

Well, Phred you are trying to model this:

12317241411_DISPLAY.jpg

12317241432_DISPLAY.jpg

I think you can do better try this:

12317260501_DISPLAY.jpg

12317260522_DISPLAY.jpg

12317260543_DISPLAY.jpg

12317260554_DISPLAY.jpg

12317260575_DISPLAY.jpg

12317260596_DISPLAY.jpg

note the 4095s between the windows.

hope you find this helpful

kurt

I do admit my first attempt wasn't very pleasing to the eye. :pir-sick:

I think you can do better try this:

Yes!

hope you find this helpful

I do!

I've saved the pics and printed them off to be referenced when i work on the constitution next.

The entire length of the "bay window assembly" is about 10-11 feet long.

This limits the window sizes.

I've got all the bricks to try this method and try to fit it where it needs to be.

Thanks.

That's a very interesting building technique. :thumbup:

I'm not going to copy this but do you mind if I use this as an inspiration source? You've found the solution for the problem where I'm struggling a long time with.

Thanks already! :pir-wub:

Wow, this is a very beautiful ship! but I find it curious that it hasn't been updated since last January....how's she coming along? I love all the detail you worked into it, I've gotten to stand on the deck of the real thing, and seeing yours brings all that beauty rushing back to me! superb job Phred, you lucky and rich cucumber you.

Wow, this is a very beautiful ship! but I find it curious that it hasn't been updated since last January....how's she coming along? I love all the detail you worked into it, I've gotten to stand on the deck of the real thing, and seeing yours brings all that beauty rushing back to me! superb job Phred, you lucky and rich cucumber you.

Unfortunately Phred was forced to cut back on his LEGO hobby for a while as he moves into the next stage of his life. But I have no doubt he will one day return and complete this mammoth beauty. :pir-classic:

Well, its been a long while and I have not gotten much done. Lets just say I've been VERY busy with non-lego stuff.

The last time I posted any progress for the hull of Constitution was when I was getting started on the stern. I got a little confused and lost as to how to complete the stern since it's a very complex shape and none of it is square. :imperialguard_commander1:

After spending over a year with other things, thinking about how to complete the stern very accurately. I think I have come up with the answer.

I had put the cross-sections and side view of Constitution into CADD and drew lines that indicate studs horizontally and bricks vertically.

100_0101.jpg_thumb.jpg 100_0099.jpg_thumb.jpg 100_0098.jpg_thumb.jpg

With these printouts, I then made the outlines of these cross-sections out of (colorful) Lego and also made the outline of the bow and stern out of bricks. The brick-built cross-section outlines have made it very easy to build the hull so far. In the near future, I think I will be waiting more for BL orders than building until the hull below the water line is complete.

100_0088.jpg

100_0089.jpg

This as far as I have gotten so far with my sorted bricks. I have a lot of unsorted bricks right now after a couple years of starting small projects and discarding them into a tote, which has now been filled up. :pir-cry_sad:

Aside from the hull, I have also recently completed all 20 MOC carronades that will populate my spar deck: :pir-cry_happy:

100_0093.jpg

100_0096.jpg_thumb.jpg

I am also very close to completing the 34 cannons needed for the gun deck and spar deck. I am three cannons short, but I have all the brown carriages and brown wheels that I need. :pir-cry_happy:

The last 6 wheels were 35 cents each. :pir-oh: I am glad I do not need any more. :cannon:

100_0091.jpg

Lookingn very very nice, the carronades are looking super and those cannons :pir-cry_happy: I wish i had so many of those. Great progress at me, keep it up, and keep those update pictures coming Phred :pir-wink:

Captain Becker

Great work Phred :thumbup:, keep us updated!

Edited by Ratshot

It's great that you finally start working on this ship again!

The carronades look very good IMO and the keel is probably just perfect since you're working on the real plans.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you'll find some more time to build on it in the future :pir-classic:

Wow that is incredible! For a long time I thought you would have given up this project; it is one of those I always look upon when I'm planning a new ship since the building techniques shown here work so great! In addition I think it's the first project of this enormous size and quality (Minifig scale) here on EB.

I wish you the best of luck completing it. I esspecially look forward to seeing your stern. Oh, and your MOC carronades look awesome! :pir-wink:

Amazing, and I'm very happy to see that you are still 'into it' :pir-sweet:

Your MOC carronades look very realistic too, and I'm awaiting a next update with impatience :thumbup: .

Thank you for the complements. :blush:

I had forgotten to show a close up of the rudder, but it's a good thing that the Gov. and Zorro reminded me! :wink: I am happy with the design, but I don’t quite have all of the colors I need for technic bricks or modified bricks with studs on the side.

000_0015.jpg

[snip] the keel is probably just perfect since you're working on the real plans.

I gotten to an "elevation" of 3 2/3 bricks on the hull. :pir-cry_sad:

I am completely out of 2x8 plates and 1x2 plates modified with one stud on top.

My wife saw all the plates upside down and was not impressed. Then I flipped it upside down, and she thought it looked real nice.

In addition I think it's the first project of this enormous size and quality (Minifig scale) here on EB.

There are other huge-ish WIP ships being worked on and most are more complete than mine: :grin:

Teddy has his WIP HMS Victory

Z has his Phantom

Captain Green Blue Hair has his VOC Prince Willim.

and Blacky has his Le Four-something

...and

Plokoon's

[snip] Coredor Del Tesoro [snip]

YES! I'm happy to see this beautiful ship taking shape yet again, and looking even more beautiful then before! The cannon and carronade are superb, and the entire things shape is just beautiful! Well done mate, I can't wait to see how she comes along :thumbup::pir-sweet: