Capn Frank

USS Constitution: a work in progress

That's awesome!

I'm not very good on ships, so it's great to see one as lovely as this! :thumbup: Especially the white hull.

The cutter is a ship?!? :pir_wacko:

I thought this was a ship (with a cutter on it) :wink:

HPIM1225.jpg

huh it seems that it's more advanced than the last time you posted ^^ you used this little white ship in your entry for the ptv, lol ! that's a nice idea^^ do you have some other pics of the actual step of it construction ?

huh it seems that it's more advanced than the last time you posted ^^ you used this little white ship in your entry for the ptv, lol ! that's a nice idea^^ do you have some other pics of the actual step of it construction ?

No there aren't anymore pics.

There was only time to take one pic since i had to get to school.

I'm using a barely working camera with no computer or internet at home, so there's a lot of time between taking pics. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I don't have any more pics to show the fully functional capstans :grin: and there are multiple small portions that are close to complete, but the BL orders haven't come in or been made.

Phredit:

Have you thought about engraving the stars into bricks Phred?

I'm thinking about doing a similar thing for the Pris Willim...

Hmm, engraving might work.

Although i'd need something to engrave them with.

I've already started on moding clone bricks to put stars on.

It turned out ok,

i think i'll glue all of the clone bricks together for strength.

Still thinking about that though. :pir-sceptic:

You're not showing us much, but the new picture looks very promising!

This must be one of the bigger (and longer - in time) projects we've seen here on EBs.

perhaps this could help?

3010px35.1078118787.jpg?

or if you can get a yellow version of this?

x757.1075366857.jpg

that was all I could dig up from peeron...

also, i would put those white wing pieces of the eagle facing the other way so that the widest part is up top rather than at the bottom. then swap them around. but that could just be me.

All the best, still in awe of the size of this.

Regards, Cpt. PB

Edited by Cpt. Pegleg Blockbeard

We want more pics, we want more pics, we want more.....(everybody chants along)

Looking good there Phred, the cutter looks really nice on the deck! :thumbup:

That star is a good idea Capt. Pegleg, is it possible for you to put a BL link up for it?

or if you can get a yellow version of this?

x757.1075366857.jpg

My wife has a lot of those stars; They're click-its.

They do fit perfectly onto lego bricks,

but unfortunately they're too big for my purposes. :pir-cry_sad:

But many thanx Cpt. Pegleg Blockbeard. :pir-cry_happy:

We want more pics, we want more pics, we want more.....(everybody chants along)

Fine. :imperialguard_commander1:

Ok.

I'm almost complete with the front 2/3 modular section of the ship.

Overview: of the whole section.

USS-C_11-28-08_1.png

Here are the close ups showing what this whole section currently looks like.

th_USS-C_11-28-08_2.png th_USS-C_11-28-08_3.png th_USS-C_11-28-08_4.png

There are more pics, but i don't have time to post them right now. :pir_bawling:

I'll post them at a later time.

The school's computer labs were closed all weekend. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Anywayz:

Accessibility:

USS-C_11-28-08_5.png

th_USS-C_11-28-08_6.png th_USS-C_11-28-08_7.png

The Capstans:

USS-C_11-28-08_8.png

The two "knobs" on the bottom corner engage and disengage the gears for two lifting cables on the fore and main masts, which is moved by the bottom capstan.

Showing the accessibility of the area around the capstans:

th_USS-C_11-28-08_9.png th_USS-C_11-28-08_a1.png th_USS-C_11-28-08_a2.png

USS-C_11-28-08_a3.png

The 4 "knobs" on the other bottom corner engage and disengage the gears for each of the 4 anchor cables.

The all can be moved at the same time or each one individually or whatever combination is desired.

All of the "knobs" are pulled out right now (they're disengaged), but when they're all pushed in, they're right up against the hull.

Enjoy!

Fantastic work Phred!!! I was wondering how soon this will be completed, but by these images, you might have it done pretty soon! So the knobs control the anchor?

Fantastic work Phred!!! I was wondering how soon this will be completed, but by these images, you might have it done pretty soon!

Probably not. :pir_bawling:

Z can probably attest to this, rigging takes a long time to do.

(lots and lots of knots!)

So the knobs control the anchor?

The knobs are connected to axles, which can slide laterally 1 brick length. This axle is also where the lifting lines are wrapped onto.

When the axle/knob is pulled out, it is no longer connected to the gear housing at the center and is locked by another brick to keep the string from uncoiling. (or it's disengaged)

When the axle/knob is pushed in, it is connected to the gears that are moved by rotating the capstan. (or it's engaged)

Each axle/knob has one string connected, and each one can be engaged or disengaged individually.

There are four anchor lines and two heavy lifting lines for the main and foremast.

Hopefully that explains things better. :pir-cry_happy:

Z can probably attest to this, rigging takes a long time to do.

Yes it does!

I think I have learned alot from doing it though. I think on older ship MOCs the rigging was just there for looks- but on the Phantom it is all actually VERY functional. The rigging keeps the masts and bowsprit from tipping forward or backwards- the yard arms straight vertically (because they have a tendancy to sag at the ends from their heft) and horizontally (on a ship propelled by wind it would be used to prevent the yardarms from being ripped from the masts when there is wind in the sails, on the Lego varient it mostly just keeps them from twisting left or right).

Then there is also "running rigging" which allows the sails to be raised and lowered. The Phantom is only short of using running rigging-- I can raise and lower the edges of the sail- but I did that mostly simiulate the look of wind being in them- and not so much to acutally allow the sails to be dropped or lifted depending on the wind conditions-- though this would obviously be VERY important on a real ship. I thought of various ways to do that- but it would take some serious time and I am not sure if the pay off would be worth it!

The other thing I did on the Phantom is used "thin technic liftarms" so that I can tighten (or loosen) any string on the ship without having to untie it. It isn't realistic - but it sure is handy-- though I have used a LOT of liftarms in varying lengths.

I would say tying the knots on the ratlines was the most time consuming- but it looks better when they are tied off on evey vertical string then when I initially just tried to tie them off on the ends- it did take me quite a bit to figure out how to best do it!

Phred- did you read up on the rigging and or have info on it from the blue prints? I think most of the stuff on the Phantom will be placed where it is based on functionality and not necessarily what would be historically accurate to do.

Edited by ZCerberus

That's a lot of helpful information! :thumbup:

Thanks Z.

Phred- did you read up on the rigging and or have info on it from the blue prints? I think most of the stuff on the Phantom will be placed where it is based on functionality and not necessarily what would be historically accurate to do.

The channel (or the area that the rigging is connected to on the hull of the ship) is a very long for the fore and main mast.

The foremast one i have made already is about 35 studs long!

(this was according to the reference book i used)

spardeck.jpg

If you look at this top view of the Constitution from its home page, you'll see that the channels are very long compared to any type of channel made in lego sets.

Your Phantom's rigging looks awesome.

You may want to have your rigging have a longer channel and have your rigging be run further back from each mast if you'd like to go super realistic.

I wouldn't worry about it though.

It serves the function it's supposed to and looks great. :thumbup:

Wow Phred! Coming along quite nicely since last time I checked in....might have to resurrect my poor wrecked HMS Challenger. Although I`m definitely feeling a little inferior now. When I left I was the master...now you are the Commander (little bit of StarWars and Nautical humor mixed together there) FANTASTIC JOB my friend!

If you look at this top view of the Constitution from its home page, you'll see that the channels are very long compared to any type of channel made in lego sets.

I have considered this- the "channel" on the front I had a desire to move back- but because the ship is three parts it was difficult to move it back further and maintain the ability to separate the sections when moving it. Same goes for the mid section- though I have considered widening it a few more studs! They are not quite on center as you will notice- they do start behind the masts- I guess it is just one of those things to think about for the next ship!

Wow Phred! Coming along quite nicely since last time I checked in....might have to resurrect my poor wrecked HMS Challenger. Although I`m definitely feeling a little inferior now. When I left I was the master...now you are the Commander (little bit of StarWars and Nautical humor mixed together there) FANTASTIC JOB my friend!

Only a master of evil darth aaron. :pir-laugh:

Thanx Aaron.

Too good to be true :pir-cry_happy:

It is cool to see how your ship is building up, and it is huuuge!

Can't wait to see it finished

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Ha! I see the LITTLE power they've given to you has gone right to your head...I looked over at my PIC and saw the little quote there. (I assume you're the guilty party) My wife now thinks I'm completely stupid I literally fell off my chair I was laughing so hard "I was the master" LOVE IT! LOL LMAO (nearly for real...I coulda sued ya!)

Only a master of evil darth aaron. :pir-laugh:

Thanx Aaron.

Thank you Cap'n Blackmoor. :pir-classic:

Ha! I see the LITTLE power they've given to you has gone right to your head...I looked over at my PIC and saw the little quote there. (I assume you're the guilty party) My wife now thinks I'm completely stupid I literally fell off my chair I was laughing so hard "I was the master" LOVE IT! LOL LMAO (nearly for real...I coulda sued ya!)

What do ya mean? :pir-wink:

I've never heard of anyone having problems with power going to their head. :pir-devil:

Dear Phred,

the ship is comming along nicely.

Can't wait for more photos. :thumbup:

Any work on the stern/cabins that is done/finished or in progress?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Any work on the stern/cabins that is done/finished or in progress?

Thank you Teddy. :blush:

The stern has a a lot of crazy curves right at the water line.

I've completely remade the stern once already, so it may be a while before there are pictures of the stern. :pir-cry_sad:

If i did post pics, you'd see a lot of pretty colors right now. :pir-look:

They'll be covered up eventually, just like on the rest of the ship. :pir-grin:

I've seen the Constitution in real and a friend of me has a model of it. From that, I know the stern looks great and it contains many details. I'm looking forward to the result and I'm curious about how you are going to build it.

Good luck with it. :pir-wink:

I'm curious about how you are going to build it.

Me too! :pir-laugh:

Alrighty then,

My brother Duke (who has seemed to enter his darkages :pir-hmpf: ) came over and i had my Constitution set up to show him.

(Hopefully he'll actually unpack his bricks from moving. :pir-hmpf_bad: )

Anyways...

I took some pictures of the ship all put together and all the carronades on the spar deck and the two small vessels i've got built so far.

HPIM1265.jpg

That's a 19 inch (48 cm) tv in the background.

I wanted to get a picture of myself holding the ship, but the stern is a little flimsy since it's not complete yet.

Also, the stern is not complete enough to mount to the spar deck which will then be able to strengthen it much more. :thumbup:

HPIM1268.jpg

Stern.jpg

The red will be gone when the ship is complete. :pir-wink:

There's a layer of gray plates on the underside; then two layers of red or black, with black on the edges of removable pieces; and a layer of rown.

The rown doesn't add too much strength right now since i've ran out of plates larger than 4x6 (more are on the way though!).

HPIM1264.jpg

HPIM1262.jpg

Just a couple more views.

Enjoy!

It's starting to look really great Phred, when do you think she's finished?

The smaller vessels look great and i love it that the turtlesub is still in one piece! :thumbup:

Did your brother unpack his bricks?

Otherwise me might need to use some persuasive techniques..... :jollyroger:

Lookin' good! :thumbup:

Please tell me you're going to tile the deck in brown? It'll be so much easier to keep dust-free, and the minifigs will always be falling over, just like in one of my MOCs!

But if you don't, I'll never talk to you again :pir_mad:

:pir-tongue:

The 4 "knobs" on the other bottom corner engage and disengage the gears for each of the 4 anchor cables.

The all can be moved at the same time or each one individually or whatever combination is desired.

Awesome! Are you going to have other stuff like this (like that topic about how to get cannons in and out by twisting a capstan)? And pleeeeease have a compulsory collapsing mast! And a monkey, parrot and shark :pir-grin:

That's a 19 inch (48 cm) tv in the background.

And rather a small Christmas tree...