Sign in to follow this  
Dr Leg O Brick

Red Dwarf custom minifigures

I've been in a bit of a Lego community dark age, but I made these awhile back and I thought I'd photograph and post them!

Red Dwarf is a Sci fi/comedy series set on the Jupiter mining corporation ship, Red Dwarf, with the crew consisting of Dave Lister, chicken soup technician, last human alive after being left in stasis for 3 million years (after a disaster aboard the ship that killed every human being), Arnold Rimmer, Dave's bunkmate resurrected by Holly, the computer, as a hologram to keep Dave company (at the start, at least), Cat, a descendent of the cat's originating from Dave's pregnant cat left outside stasis for the three million years, and Kryten, series 4000 mechanoid rescued from a downed starship, the Nova 5.

Without further ado, pictures!

15544918469_02f4175ae7_z.jpg

Dave Lister

(Not 100% sold on the head. Any suggestions are appreciated!)

15728854701_01deab4358_z.jpg

Arnold Rimmer

15111405583_eb2c4ec12f_z.jpg

Cat

15545572557_7fc94d2b56_z.jpg

Kryten

15732398942_a8ee8638e8_z.jpg

A group shot

And an added bonus, if any fans are reading this:

15544959469_231230ee9d_z.jpg

"Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie's the name, toasting's the game."

"Anyone like any toast?"

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

So you're a waffle man!!!! Looks like it is about to have an accident involving a sledge hammer and a waste disposal unit! The cat and Kryten are excellent, Not so sure about the others but difficult to suggest improvements.

Edited by Heppeng

Nice! Cat looks a bit too dark, perhaps that's just because of the lighting. Isn't there a similar but swirlier hair piece available? That one will do fairly well if not.

Lister needs a happy-go-lucky face, and Rimmer should have the side parted "Lego hair" hairpiece, and probably a cranky or disgusted face. For Kryten, try dark grey torso & legs.

I also think if Cat is in flesh colours that the others should be too.

Where is Holly? :laugh:

Have you considered the SW Rebel Mechanics overalls for Rimmer? Their tan colour is closer to the uniform he wore for a lot of the show, though he did switch to blue later.

Heppeng

Haha, sounds like first degree toasterside. Nice to see another fan! Thanks about them, I'm very much of the same opinion, I spent hours looking for a head, body, and hair that suits Listey and Rimmer, but alas that was the best I could do.

Everything that's close isn't great in some way, Mutt William's jacket torso from Indiana Jones has the the jacket open, but no badges, and more importantly, the shirt under the jacket is clean, no Curry stains to be seen anywhere on it. The same for Rimmer, nothing is quite right, it's either too bland or too detailed for his shirt and quite a few hairstyles obscure the H on his head.

Artanis I

Glad you like them. It probably is the lighting, I've changed my "studio" since I last took Lego pictures, and I'm still adjusting to it. The head is the same colour as his hands, if that helps.

I'm not 100% sure about the hair. Is it a new piece?

Thanks for the suggestions, after a brief look over Bricklink, for Lister, I've got a few ideas based on your suggestion. I'll see if I can get some pictures of them tonight.

This hairpiece?

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=99930

I've tried just tried it and it looks pretty damn good, not to mention it doesn't cover his H. I've also got a head in mind that I'll post with Lister.

Kryten wise, I was going for his season 3-4-5, maybe later look, with the black panels instead of the grey he had later:

http://pthumb.lisimg...666/411full.jpg

I may try the grey though.

I'd like to make them in flesh too, but the honest truth is that I don't have the spares to make it a viable option at the moment!

Holly! Er, maybe Lister left the bath running for 9 years and fused the circuits like in the show? No, I'm working on him/her, just not sure what version to go for at the moment (though I'm leaning in the Hattie Hayridge direction at the moment).

mmcclelland

I hadn't considered it, thanks for the suggestion!

So after half an hour googling, here are my options, costume wise for Rimmer:

Shirt and tie:

http://media1.break....nold Rimmer.jpg

Blue Jacket:

http://www.reddwarf....ostumes-15l.jpg

Blue suit:

http://img1.wikia.no...0x960Rimmer.jpg

Red suit:

http://i.kinja-img.c...10226921798.jpg

And...green suit (I forgot how much stuff he wore):

http://www.prowritew...ages/rimmer.jpg

In addition to mmcclelland's suggestion of the shirt, I've got a green jacket that has the same pattern as the blue jacket, and I've got something similar to the blue jacket that I'll try.

Lister wise, I've got a choice of two torso's, the one I used, or a 90's back jacket with a red undershirt, similar to what Lister wore recently:

http://www.ganymede....s/deardave1.jpg

Do you think I should keep the hat I've got for Lister? Or try and find some dreadlocks for him?

And one, final, thing. While I'd love to make a Polymorph to menace my other space folk, I've thought about making this guy:

http://www.virginmed...-5-Stoke-Me.jpg

Crocodile surfing and all to put in my space bar with the Dwarfers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they're very much appreciated!

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Right, a bit late, but improved Dave and Rimmer.

15609481690_77157c6edf_z.jpg

In the end, I settled upon making my own blue suit for Rimmer. The sticker needs work, but I like it better than my previous attempt. Still not sure on Lister, I tried a few heads and this was the only one that looked "Listerish".

The big benefit of the new Rimmer head is the reverse side, a screaming head that has the authentic "tactical retreat under a sturdy table to outfox the ememy" look

Holly should be coming up soon, more likely next week now.

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

I think I would rather stick with a scruffy hat than go with dreads. I suppose the problem in finding a face for Dave is that you want one that looks a bit chubby, but not overly so.

I didn't realise Krytie was in black then! Carry on...

For Arnold I was actually thinking of this old one from the 70s:

3901.jpg?0

But really you want a short "military" haircut, and certainly not anything that looks like Helen Shapiro.

If you're considering a Hilly-Holly, the bob cut isn't so easy to come across. The best I can come up with is a tan of the really old female hair piece:

4530.jpg?0

Or Stephanie's hair:

92255.jpg?1

Unfortunately the two I thought were really good options only exist in black, brown or red.

Thanks about the hat. The closest to the dreads, if I went for dreads, is the Gui-Gon Jin's hair, put it'd need a few modifications (though it just occurred, his hair is brown at the start, and I have some spare. I may give it a try...).

That's exactly the problem. Nothing is truly right or Lister looking.

In all honestly, with the lighting and all on the Dwarf, I thought he was grey too till I watched a few season 3's recently.

Haha, that was the hair I tried first, but it always prevented his H from being seen.

That's kind of scary, I've got a Hilly-Holly head and hair, and the hair is the top one you suggested. I'm just half way through designing a TV set and caster wheeled trolley to put her on, I'll keep you all posted (most likely Friday, more or less)!

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Krikkit

For me, it was his green suit from "Backwards" that I remember the most, probably due to the cap he had. I too watched it while growing up, though it was a couple of seasons after Backwards when I started properly watching it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely keep those in mind (particularly the hair, I'll be sculpting my first Lego heads soon so I may take the opportunity to make some dreads using that as a base).

I'm still looking at making Ace, though the silver jacket's becoming a bit of problem. However, a day late, Holly!

15663854448_78c6863ee5.jpg

Hilly/Holly

(damn I need some better bricks that aren't 30 years old)

15663884168_28f382c306_z.jpg

The TV/trolley (based on something similar the original Holly used in the first couple of seasons)

And well, after making the TV, and the Trolley, it was only right I had a go at the original:

15665417839_77ce0aedfe.jpg

"What's happening, dudes?"

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Haha, to quote Stephen Hawking, I'm working on that! I was looking at making some to go with Holly, but I couldn't perfect the design. Rest assured, I've got them high on my "to do" list. I was also thinking, though it wouldn't be impressive at all compared to versions I've seen around, I was thinking about making the bunks from season 3 and/or the white circular table from season 3 onwards to display the Dwarfers with.

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

The scutters would be difficult, since minifigs don't have fingers, so how would one do the middle finger salute? :laugh:

Slurpifier

Thanks! I've been catching the reruns of entire seasons in the UK every Saturday, and watching some on video in between. I've had a few extra ideas, so keep an eye out for them!

Artanis I

I've been looking at just using a regular leaver piece (http://brickowl.com/files/image_cache/larger/lego-black-lever-base-with-light-gray-lever-25-242585-38.jpg) for the main part of a scutter. I've tried pretty much everything, and nothing works without making it ridiculously big.

I recently marathoned some episodes recently and I think you have Lister spot on, and same with Rimmer. Cat is pretty nice too, but Kryten is the hardest one if only for his head. The body's perfect but the head is kind of difficult to replicate in Lego.

Love the customs ive seen here so far! There great.

Being a huge red dwarf fan I gave this a try too.

Lister

IMG_1368_zps2f5908d1.jpg

rimmer

IMG_1369_zpsf09829f9.jpg

cat

IMG_1367_zps18bfaebc.jpg

kryton

IMG_1364_zps74fc5ab7.jpg

Would love all cc.

Edited by thewatchman

^ Lister is probably my favorite of the bunch here. I would have gone with the other slick back hair for Rimmer if not the comb-over, Cat is pretty good though again, I would have done another hairpiece, and Kryten is the best you could do with a purist option, though there has to be a good mold to use for his head.

I apologise for the very late reply, however, thanks for the comment Amset Ra and the sharing of your fantastic Dwarfers thewatchman! My personal favourites are your Rimmer and your Kryten, both are instantly recognisable, the shadow trooper body you used in particular for Kryten conveys the bulkiness of his body, very clever. I also love the legs and torso you used for Lister, very nice detail to include his sheriff badge by using a town body! My only suggestions would echo Amset Ra's, I would say, however, to use a clean shaven head for Lister, from memory he never had too much stubble, though I suspect that depends on the series.