Set Rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

No, I mean the "gentle giant" aspect they added this time. I know that's what his orginal personality is (unfortunately the movies stereotyped the Earth characters into big boisterous guys), my comment was mainly directed at his body build.

I think the personality his build evokes is a matter of opinion. To me, he looks more like a slow to anger, slow to stop being angry sort of fellow who you do not want to push beyond a certain limit.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I think this is the worst of all Toa, the chest is just way too wide for how small he is.

Huge bummer about the sticker on the chest, that really grinds my gears too. Shame, since Onua was my favourite back in the day.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting the arms and legs should be longer and I just don't see it. Arm and Leg length typically works as a function of a characters overall height, and while Onua has a huge, broad chest and shoulder base, he's actually tied with Pohatu as the shortest of the new Toa. I like the look these dwarf-like proportions give him (making him look strong enough to carve tunnels through the earth but small enough to fit through them), and I think lengthening his arms and legs without significantly changing the torso build to make that taller as well would result in a very odd-looking figure

I wouldn't really give him longer limbs, I just would beef his lower arms up a bit. They look very sleek to the rest of his body design. His legs, actually, start to grow on me and look fine now. I just would've put some more armour on his lower arms to give them the same beefy feel as seen in this artwork.

So your complaint is that they made his figure match his personality?

Have they? I didn't know that being quiet and wise automatically makes you bulky.

I think this is the worst of all Toa, the chest is just way too wide for how small he is.

Huge bummer about the sticker on the chest, that really grinds my gears too. Shame, since Onua was my favourite back in the day.

Hahahahahahahaha! :laugh:

Have they? I didn't know that being quiet and wise automatically makes you bulky.

He's quiet and wise but he's also strong. Since it's not his mask's power doing so anymore, one would expect it's made up for in muscle.

The alternative is the strong guy is a noodle like the others. (Okay, noodle is an exaggeration, but I see no issue with him looking strong and powerful to match, well, being strong and powerful.)

15108033994_50e4804e20_b.jpg

I do agree. He looks better with shovels than a hammer. If he had 2 hammers it might have looked good, but with 1... I don't know, it just doesn't seem to work.

Edited by DalekSram

I think I'm part of the minority that likes the hammer more than the claws. To me, the Claws don't seem to work with the overall size of Onua. I do like the Smokestack Idea, though. Something along the lines of Onua Nuva's weapons would have worked best, IMO. Then again, with Tahu and Kopaka, those would've seemed too overused in the 2015 line. Also, although it's nice to have some variety in overall shape for the Toa, I'm not sure how much I like the big, hulking look for Onua. I much prefer the smaller look along the lines of the rest of the Toa (something like Onua Nuva would really be better, IMO).

I do really like how the Gold Masks look on these figures. Much nicer than having a wasted, extra mask that doesn't look good at all on the figure. :thumbup:

Every 2015 BIONICLE set gets an outstanding in my book. LEGO really outdid themselves, such as they have on Onua. Great review, very informative and excellent pictures. While yes, stickers bug me, the build itself looks to be a blast and I cannot wait to add this Master of Earth to my collection.

-NotS

He's quiet and wise but he's also strong. Since it's not his mask's power doing so anymore, one would expect it's made up for in muscle.

The alternative is the strong guy is a noodle like the others. (Okay, noodle is an exaggeration, but I see no issue with him looking strong and powerful to match, well, being strong and powerful.)

That makes sense I guess (I keep forgetting the changes they made to the mask powers). I suppose I shouldn't compare him to G1 Onua, but I still have a hard time seeing an obvious representation of a character I know for almost 14 years get so big all of sudden. I like 70789 Onua Master of Earth as a set, just not as a representation of the character I'm used to. It's a great addition to the toyline and I'm glad it brings some diversity (and that sweet, sweet black chest).
Also, although it's nice to have some variety in overall shape for the Toa, I'm not sure how much I like the big, hulking look for Onua. I much prefer the smaller look along the lines of the rest of the Toa (something like Onua Nuva would really be better, IMO).
Yeah, pretty much this. :thumbup:

I don't have any problem with Onua's look, I mean, he's always been the strong Hulk-type guy for me.

I don't have any problem with Onua's look, I mean, he's always been the strong Hulk-type guy for me.

I also feel the look suits him. And again, one of the things that really sells me on his new design is that even with such different physiques than they've had in the past, he and Pohatu are still the shortest of the six Toa, just as they were in 2001 and 2002. That's a huge thing for me, especially after the Mistika version managed to screw that up and make Onua one of the tallest.

Onua will be my first purchase. As my favorite of the original Toa, I absolutely love what they've done with the character, he looks fantastic! The warhammer is great and I really like the homage to the original with the shovel-hands. I really like the new Pakari, its definitely one of the closest mask to resemble the original and the purple is a great secondary color. I'd rather there wasnt any gold on him as I think it is a bit much but at least it's really well spread out in the color scheme.

While his shaping is great, and the build is really impressive... What the hell is going on with his colours? Gold, alongside silver? What? If I do get Onua, I'm very tempted to swap the gold for silver. Even then, those big plates near his shoulders would look much better in black. Oh, and the hammer is... Odd. Who ever heard of a hammer with a rounded nose? It could've also used some corrugated tube pieces on the handle, as it looks very weedy.

Oh, and the hammer is... Odd. Who ever heard of a hammer with a rounded nose?

To me, its shape recalls the shape of some Native American hammers, which I think is pretty appropriate considering the assorted tribal imagery of the new BIONICLE!

That makes sense I guess (I keep forgetting the changes they made to the mask powers). I suppose I shouldn't compare him to G1 Onua, but I still have a hard time seeing an obvious representation of a character I know for almost 14 years get so big all of sudden. I like 70789 Onua Master of Earth as a set, just not as a representation of the character I'm used to. It's a great addition to the toyline and I'm glad it brings some diversity (and that sweet, sweet black chest).

Yeah, pretty much this. :thumbup:

I've always seen G1 Onua as a muscular but lean figure, (with a deep but smooth and relaxing voice like Kingsley Shacklebolt rather than his MoL voice) but after somewhat of an adjustment period, the new set has grown on me. Different generation, different Onua. (Really the only thing about the new sets that I still don't like and never will is how Lewa's mask makes him look like a cyberman.) This probably won't be my first purchase, but he's still good enough that I definitely will be obtaining him at some point.

Onua in the end grew on me as well. I was having trouble seeing him as such a large character due to some personal head canon elements, but every team needs one or two "big guys", so while Pohatu (I'm making him a bit taller and bulkier) is the jovial big guy, Onua is the quiet, wise one.

So, now that I decided to not change his body, the mods I'm planning aren't many: longer legs, standard 2.0 feet (as I find the Beast feet too..well, beastly) and maybe replacing gold with silver.

I'm deffinitely giving him longer arms and legs. Like, the longest, maybe evne use those rubbery extenders if I have to. I'll deffinitely be adding HF torso armour parts for shin guards like Tahu. If you're gonna have a big guy, make him a BIG guy! I'm really excited to see the various mods people will do with these.

If you want to make him that big, you might want to try using the large torso beam for him. Also, I'm not sure if the new piston add-on can fit on a 2.0 torso shell (the Brain Attack torso does, too bad it's so limited in colours).

Personally though, I want to try a different look for Onua: keep his body as it is and lengthen his limbs while keeping those 4M shells (or 5M at most). The result being a wide, strong body with long, thin limbs, sorta like Core Hunter. I think it would fit the creepy looking thin-yet-somehow-large build he had in 2001 well.

Now, Pohatu I'm going to make into a tank, while keeping an athletic frame underneath. I'm super excited to get these sets and customize them.

If you want to make him that big, you might want to try using the large torso beam for him. Also, I'm not sure if the new piston add-on can fit on a 2.0 torso shell (the Brain Attack torso does, too bad it's so limited in colours).

It can indeed fit on a 2.0 shell. Interesting to note that it doesn't fit on the breakout shell. (Well, it fits, but not securely)

I think he looks badass. The wide-barrel chest is really cool and I like that he has a unique body type. I also like his bio personality,because usually the rock guys are 'dumb as rocks'.So it's cool to have a wise,patient rock guy.

It can indeed fit on a 2.0 shell. Interesting to note that it doesn't fit on the breakout shell. (Well, it fits, but not securely)

Those are some good news, thanks! Since Tahu's shins are exposed, I was under the impression the add-on couldn't fit on a 2.0 shell, but now I realize it was just a budget issue. This is certainly useful to add some texturing, 92216 has gotten a bit old I think.

Shame about the Breakout shell but it's not much of an issue personally, I like it a lot but I don't use it that much outside torso armouring.

I think he looks badass. The wide-barrel chest is really cool and I like that he has a unique body type. I also like his bio personality,because usually the rock guys are 'dumb as rocks'.So it's cool to have a wise,patient rock guy.

Technically Onua is the Earth Toa, but I guess you mean that as a manner of speaking. Yeah I agree, that was the reason I chose to not change his body build in the end. There are big guys (yeah he's short, but he's strongest one etc..) like Pohatu (who isn't dumb, but isn't an intellectual like Kopaka either) who are the loud and friendly type like the Boisterous Bruiser trope, then there are big guys like Onua who are smart and quiet, closer to the Genius Bruiser trope. Edited by Shakar

Why wouldn't they give him claws. Why big silver brick things. And why the attempt to revive Bionicle aesthetic while mixing it with HF bricks.

Why.

Why wouldn't they give him claws. Why big silver brick things. And why the attempt to revive Bionicle aesthetic while mixing it with HF bricks.

Why.

What's wrong with his Turbo Shovelers? They look a lot more efficient for digging than his old claws were. There's a reason moles have large, shovel-shaped paws rather than long, skeletal fingers.

Plus, they're really no more detailed than many Hero Factory pieces like this one, this one, or this one. They still have a smooth, solid look, even with occasional vents and pistons.