• Below Average
    • Poor

15725421541_33d203bd62_b.jpg

Set name: Onua: Master of Earth

Set number: 70789

Pieces: 108

Price: $19.99, €

Release date: 2015

Onua. Big, bulky, and ready to..well, dig tunnels. The original Onua made quite a statement, using massive claws as his tool of choice and designating himself as one of the Toa who really wasn't afraid of shadows- rather, he prefered to dig deeper into them. But does the new Onua continue to make such a statement? Let's find out.

Packaging and Contents

Box Front

15108041274_596755716c_b.jpg

Gone are the canisters, now we say hello to hexagonal boxes. The large surface shows off a nice photo of Onua, set in an unusually bright underground scene. I will say one thing, that is a very ballsy Skull Spider, that hammer is going to make quick work of him.

Box Back

15727998555_377bc0722a_b.jpg

The back of the box showcases a plethora of set features. unlikes many of the Hero factory sets as of late, there are actually some prominent features to be observed here. We can also see a comic utilizing the lovely new animation style, and a combo model which is nothing more that the Earth Protector's weapons slapped onto Onua.

Instructions

15709517146_fa60c3ed9b_b.jpg

The instructions feature the same image as the front of the box. if you would like to see the list of set contents, you can view the inventory page here.

Sticker Sheet

15108038634_0bfa291db7_b.jpg

Onua is one of the two Toa to feature a sticker sheet. His stickers are applied to his rather large chest piece, and I have to say they look fantastic. I know some people aren't into the chest designs on these figures, but I love them.

New/Interesting parts

Chest and Armor

15726069381_732dc285a5_b.jpg

So here we a few parts that MOCists may find enticing. We have the Ben 10 foot in silver, a larger armor pad in silver, and the massive chest piece in black.

Head, Bones, and Add-on

15542101689_8d3a9b4168_b.jpg

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to showcase the awesome new gold piston add-on or the new silver head and eyestalk, because I know everyone is going to gravitate to the delicious dark purple bones. I'll take 100.

Gearbox

15730692902_2588068586_b.jpg

The meat and potatoes of these new Toa is the gearbox, a fantastic new piece that is not only effective, but extremely versatile.

Weapons and Spider leg

15108039574_82e8e64f5a_b.jpg

Onua has 4 of these very large new shovel-like claw pieces. The can fit together similar to Toa Whenua's shovel weapons back in the day. They also have two axle positions, two pin holes, and two places for hinged attachments. Now can I get a pair in black?

Also there is the Skull Spider leg, which is a remolded version of the Hero Factory claw.

Masks

15108039184_28e597c112_b.jpg

Onua comes with not one, not two, but three masks. You have the new Pakari in black and gold, and the skull spider mask in a frighteningly bright green. I said this in the Bionicle 2015 thread and I'll say it again, I don't care much for this new Pakari. It's to a point where it's too sunken-in, and the sides of the mask seem very off to me, I think if they had been more filled in the mask would have looked far better. Also, it's very tiny, most likely the smallest of the new masks.

Armor Shells

15108038954_9e5d3e849d_b.jpg

We also get some of the 4-L shells in purple.

Building Process

Torso(1)

15729546062_38d91d37da_b.jpg

The start of the torso goes straight to adding in the main 4-tooh gears. You may notice that there are no 8-tooth gears to add friction. Let's see how lego has added friction to this.

Torso(2)

15542552598_f78c9b6ed2_b.jpg

To give Onua his wide shoulders, you construct these two sections. Interestingly, they are not symmetrical. The one of the right has a spot where the hammer's handle can be stored, while the one of the right is actually the friction of the system. When you turn the gears, you turn the tan axles, so while the axle turns, you are also turning the ball joint that is mounted to the y-joint. It works very well.

Torso(3)

15726066851_30f64ddcbd_b.jpg

The finished gearbox is very wide, and works quite well to make both arms move.

Action Frame

15727994975_b6cfb1bc7e_b.jpg

Here you can see the bone structure behind Onua. I'm not sure why they gave him dark purple on his thighs but no where else. Seems like a missed opportunity to include a very awesome new recolor to me.

Armoring

15735423645_fbf5cb632d_b.jpg

Onua's armor consists of purple and black.

Finished Build

15108605313_285f05d1cc_b.jpg

We finish up by putting on some additional armor add-ons, and of course the chest stickers.

Hammer Build

15727993925_c49a7a9340_b.jpg

15543138980_47aff58186_b.jpg

The hammer isn't anything complicated, utilizing a simple build to create a decent looking hammer.

Finished Set

Skull Spider

15731310491_a7011cdd6d_b.jpg

I had to switch to a black background to get a real nice shot of this guy, because wow is that a bright shade of green. But I must say he looks fantastic, they look very different than the spider-like enemies of the past, and the fact that it's a mask just adds to the coolness. Also, while I don't have a dark blue one in hand yet, this green is a very awesome color for the mask.

Front

15542803547_2890d118df_b.jpg

Personally, I'm a fan of stickers because it means I don't have to put them on the set. People who read my Hero Factory IFB reviews may have noticed that I did not in fact add the stickers to the canopies or containment pods. However, I really like the chest designs on these figures, and I feel that the color of the stickers here really helps to bring together what would otherwise be a very scattered color scheme. With that said, I do not- do not- like the silver shoulder pads. They really take away the special quality that the piece has. It's a cool piece that has some great dual functionality as the sets weapon, but as shoulder pads in the same color, it doesn't make the weapon as unique in my opinion. Now, had the pieces been in black or maybe gold or purple...

Back

15108034774_34e4463257_b.jpg

Onua is a wide figure, and from the back you can see just how much armor they had to put on his front to cover this up.

15726064641_41d0d11f4b_b.jpg

Onua is a pretty beefy character. Again, the Pakari looks...out of place.

Hammer Storage

15542549528_1f8cfdc986_b.jpg

When you take apart his hammer to turn the pieces into claws, you can store the upper part of the hammer on his back like so. Unfortunately, there isn't storage for the bottom part of the handle.

Alternate Weapons

15108033994_50e4804e20_b.jpg

Onua's alternate weapon build is a set of shovel hands. While not the ready-to-rip-your-bowels-out claws from 2001, these still look like they could cause some serious damage. Again, I feel like they would have been more interesting if the shoulder pads were a different story.

Pose 1

15108032334_17ecc2353b_b.jpg

Onua's wide stance calls for bent legs and a hunched appearance. His wide girth and the bulkiness of his armor can limit posing somewhat, but he strikes me as the slow, foot-stomping type.

Pose 2

15108032114_c9d5f68c09_b.jpg

I think I prefer the claws to the hammer. What about you?

Pose 3

15542093429_43c111126f_b.jpg

Again just another pose. The gold mask looks surprisingly good on him, possibly more so than the black one.

Gold Mask

15704272346_4728473ec5_b.jpg

The gold Pakari still retains my complaints, but I must say I think I mind it a bit less here.

Skull Mask

15543136190_0c9dc2c081_b.jpg

Of course you can also place the Skull Spider on his face if the mood strikes you.

Conclusion

Onua is a decent figure. At 108 pieces, he is the best parts value of the three larger Toa. You get some nice new parts and recolors, including the fantastic dark purple bones, the large chest plate in black, and four of the new silver claws. He's packed with features, although the overall look of the set is up to you to form an opinion on. personally I like this new bulky look for Onua. I think that he is a decently bulky set, and for what you get, it's not a horrible deal for $20. Of the three larger Toa, I find that I would recommend him the least, but considering I would highly recommend all three, that's not a bad thing.

Does this set strike you with nostalgia, or is it one you'll pass by on store shelves?

Bulky Onua looks fantastic. I must say, I much prefer the claws over the hammer. Plus, it gives him a cool smokestack (I envision the Earth tribe as inventors and machinists, so a smokestack seems fitting). And I think the shoulder pads look cool with the claws. Kinda reminiscent of Stormer XL's drones he had on his arms.

The new Onua is a great design, and really showcases the diversity of the new Toa. I do find it puzzling that he uses different colors for his upper arms and upper legs, as it seems like it would be cheaper and simpler to include both in the same color. Onua's color scheme is extremely exciting, and I don't even mind the silver shoulder pads too much. It helps that the armor on the lower body helps balance it out.

The extra joint in Onua's neck means his height is perhaps the most variable of the new Toa, but I like that he can be one of the shortest if you want him to be. Traditionally he and Pohatu were shorter than the others, and it's cool that the new sets retain that even with such radically different physiques.

I actually really like the look of his new mask. Its small size helps Onua feel like a giant despite being one of the shorter Toa when you line them up side by side. Both the gold and black ones look really cool and very reminiscent of the original Kanohi Pakari.

Onua's weapons seem awesome to me in both forms, and I love that there's a space to attach the handle of the hammer to his back when he's using the claws/shovels.

EDIT: Also, I notice that when you have his shovels out you have the lower part of the handle still in his hand, just like the designers had it at Comic Con, but is it possible to scoot the connector down so it joins the upper and lower sections like in this pic? If that does work, then it's an awesome way to keep his weapon in one piece even when he's not holding it — but I can see how it might be wobbly.

Edited by Aanchir

I've been looking forward to these reviews for a while, they don't disappoint! I hope I can get my laptop running and get back in the academy.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm a huge fan of onua. I was kinda skeptical about the gold, but I think it works out. And I'll definitely take the shovel claws over the hammer. (That's not to say the hammer is bad though.)

And on the topic of the mask, I really like it. It's smaller size doesn't really bother me, and I think the shape is great. But Lewa's though, he doesn't fare so well, but that's for another topic.

overall, onua is my favorite from the new wave, and will Definitely pick him up asap. Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

EDIT: Also, I notice that when you have his shovels out you have the lower part of the handle still in his hand, just like the designers had it at Comic Con, but is it possible to scoot the connector down so it joins the upper and lower sections like in this pic? If that does work, then it's an awesome way to keep his weapon in one piece even when he's not holding it — but I can see how it might be wobbly.

That seems... Really unstable. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. I can see a lot of open axle holes to where it'd be easy to find storage for it without needing any extra parts. Especially on the hammer itself. The parts that the shovels attach to: just rotate one of them downward and put the axle into it. Simple storage and out of the way.

That seems... Really unstable. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. I can see a lot of open axle holes to where it'd be easy to find storage for it without needing any extra parts. Especially on the hammer itself. The parts that the shovels attach to: just rotate one of them downward and put the axle into it. Simple storage and out of the way.

I really like TTV's way of doing it. Use a simple pin connector piece (I don't know the exact name - it's the piece used to connect Kopaka's Guurahk spear to his long axle piece) to connect the two shovels together, then attach them to the hammer. When you're storing it on Onua's back, use the connector to connect the two portions of the handle together. I don't think I'm explaining this quite well, watch TTV's preview of Onua to get what I mean.

I really like TTV's way of doing it. Use a simple pin connector piece (I don't know the exact name - it's the piece used to connect Kopaka's Guurahk spear to his long axle piece) to connect the two shovels together, then attach them to the hammer. When you're storing it on Onua's back, use the connector to connect the two portions of the handle together. I don't think I'm explaining this quite well, watch TTV's preview of Onua to get what I mean.

No, no, I understand just fine what you're saying. Yeah, that'd be a pretty easy way of storing the axle. I just prefer finding fixes that don't require any introduction of parts not included in the set. I always had a problem with "You can fix this, but you need parts you may or may not have". Luckily, the piece you're talking about is common enough (and I have plenty) that it shouldn't be an issue.

I was about to mention this. When I saw that I thought of it as ingenious and it's a shame that it was simply their own mod.

Love the claws, extremely reminiscent of the original. I think they're fine in silver, but the shoulder armor definitely should be purple or black. It would look much better if he was like the Toa Metru with only silver weapons and and all black/purple/gold body, as the silver is the only part of his body that is silver and it stands out.

Also, does anyone else notice that the comic shows 1.) the Earth Protector actually holding his machine gun and 2.) a skull spider attached onto the Protector's face?

No, the Protector is holding his drill, actually. And it's been known since Comic Con that Skull Spiders can attach to the new heads.

This was a well put-together review, and I appreciate it for showcasing all of Onua's many interesting parts in detail. If there is one set I aim to get two of, Onua will be it.

The abundance of unique purple, silver, and black components are wonderful to behold, and the wealth of basic Technic components makes it even more worth getting a second one for parts.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I just noticed that the bone pieces on the upper arms are the same length as the thighs - it baffles me as to why Lego didn't include the trans-purple bones to be used on the upper arms as well. Not only would it make the trans-purple thighs blend in with the rest of the colour scheme better, we could also have gotten 2 more of those delicious pieces. I guess the large amount of parts was already pushing the set's budget.

No, no, I understand just fine what you're saying. Yeah, that'd be a pretty easy way of storing the axle. I just prefer finding fixes that don't require any introduction of parts not included in the set. I always had a problem with "You can fix this, but you need parts you may or may not have". Luckily, the piece you're talking about is common enough (and I have plenty) that it shouldn't be an issue.

I know what you mean, I always prefer not to mod my sets with parts not included with it. But like you said, that piece is very common.

I was about to mention this. When I saw that I thought of it as ingenious and it's a shame that it was simply their own mod.

It's simple and smart enough for TLG to have done, which is why I assumed the set would do the same when I saw the preview; a pity it isn't the case. But like Kalhiki said, luckily the piece is common enough that it'd be fairly easy to throw in with the set.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Again, thanks for the review! I really like this set for all the lovely new parts it contains. Personally, I think Onua is a little too wide and that really shows in certain pictures. It's definitely one to pose in a hunched position. And I agree with the others, the shovels being the same colour as the shoulder armour does make it look a bit odd and I would have preferred the shoulder armour to be in black here. But until it reappears in future in that colour, there's not much I can do about that as I'm a purist when it comes to modding sets.

However, this set is absolutely chock full of parts that I want extra copies of, so when I go to buy a second copy, Onua will be first on my list there. Definitely got to have one of those black chestplates to keep unstickered, get some more of the silver 6M shoulder armours and Ben 10 feet, and some more of those trans-purple bones. And then I'll probably go to Bricks and Pieces and buy more trans-purple bones than I really need. It's a wonderful set for parts.

I just noticed that the bone pieces on the upper arms are the same length as the thighs - it baffles me as to why Lego didn't include the trans-purple bones to be used on the upper arms as well. Not only would it make the trans-purple thighs blend in with the rest of the colour scheme better, we could also have gotten 2 more of those delicious pieces.

This was my exact thoughts as well when I saw a picture of the completed model. I think it would have even been LESS hassle to make those bones trans-purple as well (less parts bins to pull from?). Sometimes I'll never understand some of LEGO's decisions :wacko:

first off, nice review as usual VBBN!

after reading the reviews, i'm certain that i will be getting onua first. his my favourite one out of this wave. and i'm sure i'm gonna have him holding the claw when displaying him.

I only wish the legs and arms were longer. The torso's REALLY wide for such short arms, but I still really like him.

no, with his wide body shape, actually shorter limbs works better to give him beefy look, so those limbs of him doesn't need to be longer. instead, i think they need to be a little bit thicker. that is why i'm gonna displays him with the claw, because it gives an impression that his arms are thicker.

Nice review! I like Onua's colours (I'm even warming up to the gold, the chest details really bring the colours together), his mask and his weapons. I'm not sure about him being so wide, though. The "wise gentle giant" theme is something new that G1 Onua was never associated with, so I have a hard time getting used to it. That said, the set on its own looks very nice to me. And those parts! I agree with what others have said here: if there's one set I'm getting a second copy of, it's got to be Onua.

Nice review! I like Onua's colours (I'm even warming up to the gold, the chest details really bring the colours together), his mask and his weapons. I'm not sure about him being so wide, though. The "wise gentle giant" theme is something new that G1 Onua was never associated with, so I have a hard time getting used to it. That said, the set on its own looks very nice to me. And those parts! I agree with what others have said here: if there's one set I'm getting a second copy of, it's got to be Onua.

Going to nitpick here—G1 Onua WAS the "quiet, strong and wise one" in the early years. A lot of people take issue with the more boisterous persona he acquired in Mask of Light and later media.

Design-wise, Onua is the least favourite of mine, as he's just so bulky, yet has puny arms and legs. I also agree with you on the weapons, the claws look cooler than the hammer. His mask is alright, but I also prefer the original design here.

I like his colours though. They look pretty sweet.

Design-wise, Onua is the least favourite of mine, as he's just so bulky, yet has puny arms and legs. I also agree with you on the weapons, the claws look cooler than the hammer. His mask is alright, but I also prefer the original design here.

I like his colours though. They look pretty sweet.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting the arms and legs should be longer and I just don't see it. Arm and Leg length typically works as a function of a characters overall height, and while Onua has a huge, broad chest and shoulder base, he's actually tied with Pohatu as the shortest of the new Toa. I like the look these dwarf-like proportions give him (making him look strong enough to carve tunnels through the earth but small enough to fit through them), and I think lengthening his arms and legs without significantly changing the torso build to make that taller as well would result in a very odd-looking figure

Why couldn't Lego just choose between either gold or sliver instead of using both? He'd look much better with just one or the other. Alas, it doesn't matter too much. I still think he's fantastic regardless.

Going to nitpick here—G1 Onua WAS the "quiet, strong and wise one" in the early years. A lot of people take issue with the more boisterous persona he acquired in Mask of Light and later media.

No, I mean the "gentle giant" aspect they added this time. I know that's what his orginal personality is (unfortunately the movies stereotyped the Earth characters into big boisterous guys), my comment was mainly directed at his body build.

No, I mean the "gentle giant" aspect they added this time. I know that's what his orginal personality is (unfortunately the movies stereotyped the Earth characters into big boisterous guys), my comment was mainly directed at his body build.

So your complaint is that they made his figure match his personality?