kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

Will they do a video about the set?

I kind of doubt it - designer videos tend to be limited to the D2C exclusives.

So LEGO does sitcoms now...

I wonder then if a LEGO "Parks and Recreation" office could become something...

LEGO does seem to like Mr. Chris Pratt.

Anyway, this is a weird set to me. The only minifigures I actually found recognizable were Raj and Sheldon.

For a show with such focus on characters, I would have hoped for better figures.

As others have said, the apartment is also not very impressive. I feel it could have been made better by adding a black tile border. Maybe with "The Big Bang Theory" printed somewhere on it.

To me the appeal of this set is just the printed parts and some other small objects.

All that said, I like the show and plan to purchase the set.

Anyway, this is a weird set to me. The only minifigures I actually found recognizable were Raj and Sheldon.

For a show with such focus on characters, I would have hoped for better figures.

As others have said, the apartment is also not very impressive. I feel it could have been made better by adding a black tile border. Maybe with "The Big Bang Theory" printed somewhere on it.

I think they're clothing is pretty recognizable, but some of the faces are pretty generic. I think Bernadette, Howard, Amy and Raj have very fitting face prints, but the others come off as pretty generic to me. Penny is kind of a miss to me overall. Her face and clothing really don't remind me of her at all. Perhaps there's an alt expression for her that looks better.

The hair is pretty hit or miss too. Bernadette and Leonard's hair don't look right at all. They should have used Spooky Girl's hair in Blonde for Bernadette.

The apartment does seem a little off, though maybe it's just the fact that this is a crappy digital rendering rather than a physical set that's making me doubt it. Ultimately I'll buy this set. While the minifigures are a bit hit and miss for what they're supposed to represent I think think the individual pieces will work great for other characters. Really its hard to find modern normal clothing for flesh tone minifigures, so this is a welcome set.

Edited by strangely

The hair is pretty hit or miss too. Bernadette and Leonard's hair don't look right at all. They should have used Spooky Girl's hair in Blonde for Bernadette.

Since when does Bernadette have straight hair? this hair is spot on

Edited by kevkipo

Since when does Bernadette have straight hair? this hair is spot on

I'll admit her hair is wavy (Though it appears in real life the actress does indeed have straight hair) and the spooky girl hairpiece lacks the proper waviness, but the hairpiece they used doesn't even have bangs, which Bernadette almost always has. The piece they used isn't awful, but I really would prefer a piece that actually has bangs and that falls over the front and back over the princess hair which has no bangs and that weird braid running around the back.

Perhaps we're just thinking of two different hairstyles for her, in a TV show that's run this longs she's probably gone through several.

I'll admit her hair is wavy (Though it appears in real life the actress does indeed have straight hair) and the spooky girl hairpiece lacks the proper waviness, but the hairpiece they used doesn't even have bangs, which Bernadette almost always has. The piece they used isn't awful, but I really would prefer a piece that actually has bangs and that falls over the front and back over the princess hair which has no bangs and that weird braid running around the back.

Perhaps we're just thinking of two different hairstyles for her, in a TV show that's run this longs she's probably gone through several.

I really don't have a problem with Bernadette's hair.

I guess you never heard of this little project called Ideas where people can suggest sets based on their own imaginations or on licensed works like TV shows or movies. That is where this set came from. Not from LEGO "doing" sitcoms. :wink:

I guess you never heard of this little project called Ideaswhere people can suggest sets based on their own imaginations or on licensed works like TV shows or movies. That is where this set came from. Not from LEGO "doing" sitcoms. :wink:

No, I've heard of it. I've supported quite a few projects recently as well. When I saw the initial announcement I thought it was a weird choice. When I saw the finished set I thought that even more so. I like The Big Bang Theory, but I don't know how well a small bit of a film set translates into bricks. Yes, it's recognizable enough, but not really "cool". I figured that with licensed Ideas projects LEGO would mainly produce vehicles from films. The sitcom thing is just a surprise to me.

Edited by Actor Builder

It's a surprise to me, too, but more because of the not-entirely-kid-friendly nature of much of the writing of the show. As far as what sort of things can be made, though, almost anything is fair game, including sets / locations from TV shows. At its core, it's the same general sort of thing as many "playset"-types sets from various other licenses, whether they depict Bikini Bottom, the Daily Bugle offices, the Death Star, or the Temple of Doom.

Moreover, while this particular show might have some questionable elements from the standpoint of kid-friendliness, I think there's no question there's a not-insignificant degree of overlap between fans of the show and fans of LEGO. Furthermore, major characters in the show itself are shown to have an interest in LEGO. There's a natural synergy there, if I may be forgiven for using marketing drone-speak. I think there's a clear demand for this set; the only question was whether LEGO would consider it an acceptable brand fit, content-wise.

I don't really feel like Ideas projects are kid friendly in general though. How many kids want to buy a birds set, or land rover, or a set about a movie that is 30 years old (Ghostbusters, BttF) that has absolutely no current media or tie ins?

Lots of kids love those particular movies, old or not. They're evergreens, thanks to TV and video. It's not like anyone in LEGO's target age group ever saw the original Star Wars movies in their original runs, yet that theme is one of LEGO's biggest. For that matter, one of the licenses in LEGO Dimensions is The Wizard of Oz, a movie that came out over three quarters of a century ago, and for which there's hardly anyone on Earth still alive who saw it when it came out. But millions of people have grown up with it, thanks to television.

Anyway, there's a difference between kid-targeted and kid-friendly. A set can be targeted at adults, yet still kid-friendly. Look at the Detective's Office, which is clearly targeted at adults in both price and build complexity, yet it has a Prohibtion narrative with cookies in place of liquor. LEGO tries to have all its products be reasonably family-friendly, even when they're multi-hundred-dollar, multi-thousand-piece behemoths no unspoiled kid could possibly afford, and few kids would have the patience to build.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Lots of kids love those particular movies, old or not. They're evergreens, thanks to TV and video. It's not like anyone in LEGO's target age group ever saw the original Star Wars movies in their original runs, yet that theme is one of LEGO's biggest.

Anyway, there's a difference between kid-targeted and kid-friendly. A set can be targeted at adults, yet still kid-friendly. Look at the Detective's Office, which is clearly targeted at adults in both price and build complexity, yet it has a Prohibtion narrative with cookies in place of liquor. LEGO tries to have all its products be reasonably family-friendly, even when they're multi-hundred-dollar, multi-thousand-piece behemoths no unspoiled kid could possibly afford, and few kids would have the patience to build.

Yes, but Star Wars has new cartoons being produced and aired on tv all the time. When a kid watches them I am sure it gets them interested in the older movies. What is getting kids interested in Ghostbusters or BttF though? Other than the off chance they see it replayed on tv (which is once or twice a year?), or their parents show them it, there really is nothing.

I'm not saying there are no kids watching Ghostbusters or BttF, I am just saying it's not really hot among kids and seems more geared towards adults. The Idea sets are released in much more limited quantities than normal Lego's themes, which are mass produced, so it makes sense they can be more geared towards adults. I don't think the new Big Bang Theory Lego set will have much if any appeal to younger kids that are in the 6-10 year old range.

Edited by Deathleech

Yes, but Star Wars has new cartoons being produced and aired on tv all the time. When a kid watches them I am sure it gets them interested in the older movies. What is getting kids interested in Ghostbusters or BttF though? Other than the off chance they see it replayed on tv which is once or twice a year, or their parents show them it, there really is nothing.

I'm not saying there are no kids watching Ghostbusters or BttF, I am just saying it's not really hot among kids and seems more geared towards adults. The Ideas sets are released in much more limited quantities than normal Lego's themes which are mass produced so it makes sense they can be more geared towards adults.

Right, but my main point is still that just because something is targeted at adults doesn't mean it can't still be kid-friendly, and LEGO likes to maintain a kid-friendly image, even with sets targeted at adults.

And Ghostbusters and Back to the Future run on TV more often than once or twice a year; heck, they still play in theaters more often than that (in fact, as I write this, in about eighteen hours from now I'm going to a theatrical screening of Back to the Future myself). And there are millions and millions of copies of these movies out there on video, in every format from VHS to Blu-ray, and adults who grew up with them show them to their kids all the time. They may not be the movies that contemporary kids know best, but they're hardly obscure antique curiosities, either. Plenty of kids know them.

Remember, Lego Ideas also has a minimum age limit. To be a member you must be 13 years or older. That means the Ideas target demographic is teens to adults. The Big Bang Theory is rated TV14, and the set depicts nothing more than seven friends in a living room with lots of interesting details.

Remember, Lego Ideas also has a minimum age limit. To be a member you must be 13 years or older. That means the Ideas target demographic is teens to adults. The Big Bang Theory is rated TV14, and the set depicts nothing more than seven friends in a living room with lots of interesting details.

When it was CUUSOO, the minimum age was 18, and it had nothing to do with the target age of the products - it had to do with the fact that projects are proposals for official, commercial sets, which meant that if a project was chosen LEGO needed to be able to enter a legal agreement with the creator, which kids under 18 can't do in most countries. With the move from CUUSOO to Ideas, they've lowered the minimum age from 18 to 13, with the stipulation that if a minor's project is chosen, the legal stuff on the project creator's end has to be handled by the creator's parent or legal guardian.

Everybody here knows LEGO makes some sets that are targeted principally at adults - many sets are too expensive for the spending power of average kids, or too complex for the attention spans of average kids, or simply portray subject matter that isn't of much interest to average kids, or some combination of all of those. But it still has to be kid-friendly - even the adult-oriented sets still have to represent LEGO's values to its entire audience, including children. An adult-oriented set that's too expensive or complicated or unexciting can at least still be seen by kids without exposing them to "unacceptable" content. LEGO wants its entire public presence - every environment it presents to consumers - to be family-friendly. That includes the retail stores, the catalog, the Club magazine, the websites, everything. A set that kids can't afford or aren't interested in doesn't compromise that, but a set that contains "adult" content (in the sense of gore, sex, drugs, etc.) does. It's not enough for kids to not buy it; LEGO doesn't even want them to see it, because anything of that nature could compromise the brand reputation LEGO has built. And they're not about to start offering sets that they keep under the counter in plain brown packaging and ask for ID if you ask to see them.

The reason this set comes as a surprise, yet (obviously) does fall within LEGO's guidelines for what's acceptable in an official product, is that the show does routinely feature adult situations and content that pushes their line, but at the same time it's not the central focus of what the show is about. A set that's most representative of the show really does boil down to just a bunch of people sitting around a living room, which is clearly non-objectionable in and of itself, even while there are frequent situations on the show that would never be allowed in a set.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Take away the minifigures and you have a poorly built living room with badly designed furniture. Looking only at the minifigures and you have 7 figures that only bear a passing resemblance to the characters from the show. I think it's a real pity Lego doesn't invest more into its own core themes (such as City) but as long as fanboys & girls continue to throw money at buying licensed sets (when really all they seem to want is the minifigs, particularly as the actual construction element of many licensed sets are pretty weak), Lego will continue to churn out more rubbish like this. Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot but it doesn't need to be represented in Lego. I worry about the future of my favourite hobby.

*sigh*

I agree on this one. It's fun that LEGO tries to reach out to a different public, people who regularly wouldn't buy LEGO. But, I have a strong feeling this causes LEGO to loose focus on some of their main themes.

I agree on this one. It's fun that LEGO tries to reach out to a different public, people who regularly wouldn't buy LEGO. But, I have a strong feeling this causes LEGO to loose focus on some of their main themes.

How do they lose focus on their main themes? Are they just forgetting to make Star Wars sets for a year? Are they accidentally putting pirates and dinosaurs in City sets?

I wonder then if a LEGO "Parks and Recreation" office could become something...

LEGO does seem to like Mr. Chris Pratt.

To me the appeal of this set is just the printed parts and some other small objects.

All that said, I like the show and plan to purchase the set.

Oh my god! Parks and Rec! Please someone make this and give 10000 likes!

It amazes me how some people don't see the value in a set or theme simply because they have no interest in it themselves. Personally I don't like Doctor Who and could care less if Lego sets ever get made for that particular franchise, but that doesn't mean I am going to go around bashing Lego for making them. Obviously there is a huge fan base and it should make Lego lots of money. That money in turn allows Lego to create new sets and take chances they might not otherwise be able to take. It also allows for more complex printings and moldings.

You wonder why Lego would make an "unimaginative" set based on The Big Bang Theory? Well lets see... it's the number one comedy on television and gets over 15 million views, per episode, in the U.S. alone. Why WOULDN'T Lego make a set based on such a popular franchise? It's going to appeal to millions of Lego fans and might even bring in tons of new fans. People want their favorite actors and actresses in Lego form, and a model that replicates a popular scene from the show. I don't see how this is any less imaginative than taking a bunch of bricks and copying birds with them, or the Mars Land Rover? It just seems like people are being bias because they themselves aren't that interested in a theme.

It amazes me how some people don't see the value in a set or theme simply because they have no interest in it themselves. Personally I don't like Doctor Who and could care less if Lego sets ever get made for that particular franchise, but that doesn't mean I am going to go around bashing Lego for making them. Obviously there is a huge fan base and it should make Lego lots of money. That money in turn allows Lego to create new sets and take chances they might not otherwise be able to take. It also allows for more complex printings and moldings.

You wonder why Lego would make an "unimaginative" set based on The Big Bang Theory? Well lets see... it's the number one comedy on television and gets over 15 million views, per episode, in the U.S. alone. Why WOULDN'T Lego make a set based on such a popular franchise? It's going to appeal to millions of Lego fans and might even bring in tons of new fans. People want their favorite actors and actresses in Lego form, and a model that replicates a popular scene from the show. I don't see how this is any less imaginative than taking a bunch of bricks and copying birds with them, or the Mars Land Rover? It just seems like people are being bias because they themselves aren't that interested in a theme.

Well said, don't bash fella's let those who enjoy, enjoy this. That's always the most important to me the feel you get from a set wich can be destroyed by others.

I like this set, I'll buy it, sure.

:classic:

I really like The Big Bang Theory, and this set is very good.

(I think a set of the Golden Girls would be great too XD)