kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

So here's a philosophical question. Once they're out, will the Big Bang Theory sets exist in the Big Bang universe? Or will it be like how on Star Trek, no one in the future has ever heard of Star Trek?

Unless it's a spoof episode specifically highlighting the set- maybe in a dream, or their imagination- no, it wouldn't exist. They'd have to break the fourth wall and admit that they're in a TV show otherwise.

I can see them including the set in an episode but just as set dressing without acknowledging what it is.

There was an episode of Supernatural where they were cast into a world where their lives were a TV show, complete with the actual directors and producers and so forth, so many of the actors were portraying themselves (and having a lot of fun with it). I could imagine they could have passed by a store and have seen Supernatural toys.

Of course, this isn't Supernatural, where, you know, supernatural things can happen... but there's been enough dream sequences that they could do something, I'm sure.

I was gunna say, Supernatural's a bit different... Aside from that episode, the show is generally willing to make fun of itself. Not that Big Bang Theory couldn't do that, but I don't think it's as likely.

Just a thought: Jim Parsons is absolutely going to love having his own Minifig. I guarantee it.

I can see them including the set in an episode but just as set dressing without acknowledging what it is.

I fully agree. It could easily be hidden on a shelf, looking perhaps as if they had built an moc of themselves. That'd be awesome.

I mentioned awhile back that it'd be great to have another "Sheldon dream" or something, where they use the official minifigs as the basis for a Lego Movie-style animated dream to address some dilemma of Sheldon's, like how his Mego Spock spoke to him in Nimoy's voice, or how he dreamed up Professor Proton as an Obi-Wan-style spirit after he died.

I'd love to see that, but it probably won't happen... :sceptic:

Any update on this set? I wonder if they plan on releasing a series of this theme and that's why it is taking so long. I don't see LEGO putting all the popular characters in one set. I'm thinking the apartment, science lab and maybe the comic book store.

Any update on this set? I wonder if they plan on releasing a series of this theme and that's why it is taking so long. I don't see LEGO putting all the popular characters in one set. I'm thinking the apartment, science lab and maybe the comic book store.

Highly doubt we'll get a full theme on this. For that, they would've done a full Ghostbusters or Back to the Future theme... They're just probably gonna reveal it at one of the Toy Fairs to build up more hype. After all, the Ghostbusters set was revealed at NYTF 2014.

It might be a little too soon for them to display the new set.....more likely Lego would chose a Comic-Con to show off the set, that's my theory anyway. :laugh:

I bet the price will be pretty bad, too, although we'll have to wait and see. I think Ideas is working better than they thought it would, and like CMFs (which were half the price when they came out), I think they've started jacking up the prices. I like the birds, for example, but I think the set is overpriced, considering it's just basic parts, mainly just small plates, and it carries no license fees, either.

By comparison, the Ecto-1 was a bargain; even the Exosuit, considering the parts are mostly technic and it comes with two figures.

I still find it hard to believe they are going to put 7 mini figures in one set. The price will be outrageous.

Not really, it might be just the minifigs and a small living room scene like pictured in the project itself.......we shall see what it contains when we do.

That is by no means a "small" living room scene. It is extremely detailed. If done they way it should be then this could be a $75 + set.

Edited by frog4gators

That is by no means a "small" living room scene. It is extremely detailed. If done they way it should be then this could be a $75 + set.

Though bear in mind Lego wants to sell their product and if the set is too highly priced they wont move as quick and the profit margin wont be crash hot..

Though bear in mind Lego wants to sell their product and if the set is too highly priced they wont move as quick and the profit margin wont be crash hot..

True, but this isn't for LEGO's target audience... it's for the hipster yuppy types that have disposable income. I know people who've never bought LEGO as an adult before that bought the Ecto-1.... a lot of them would have paid $200 for Shaun of the Dead.

True, but this isn't for LEGO's target audience... it's for the hipster yuppy types that have disposable income. I know people who've never bought LEGO as an adult before that bought the Ecto-1.... a lot of them would have paid $200 for Shaun of the Dead.

I'd like to think every Adult uses the Ecto-1 as a display piece on their desk

The only update I've seen is that it will be out in the second half of 2015; no specific date.

Thanks for the info Banjo

I think the existence of the set is fine, as Ultron said, to please AFOLs, but I do agree that it is not founded on the original ideals of TLG. That, to me, is not a bad thing. The ideals TLG has have just shifted since its creation. I'm not sure even any licensed themes were in the original ideas of TLG, which was founded to suit creativity as much as possible.

It depends on what you mean by a "bad thing." No one can argue that this smut is good for business. I have no doubt that this set will sell very well, and it may even have some interesting printed parts I might want to buy. But personally, I find it disappointing that Lego no longer has the philosophy that they should only produce things that are wholesome.

Sure, this set is geared toward adults and teenagers, but at the same time, it seems they're encouraging kids to go watch this show, and it's completely inappropriate for Lego's main target age group.

As far as the licensing thing goes, I'm not sure whether it hinders creativity. Never underestimate a child's imagination. ;) They come up with the most random things. They don't care what something is supposed to look like in a movie. They're often just excited to play with their favorite characters in more bizarre ways than we adults could ever come up with.

Sorry if the discussion is over, but I highly doubt it is...

The reason it's okay that Lego approved BBT for an Ideas set- despite still being focused as a company on children (their views have not shifted- not much, anyways)- is that Ideas is ultimately an AFOL site. Sure a kid could build something to submit, but (and this is a guess) I seem to recall there being an age limit for making projects. Even if a kid had a good enough idea, their model would likely not be good enough to garner supporters, and they would probably need parental help to get it up in the first place.

Simply put, ideas sets are more for adults than kids. The only exception to that is Minecraft, which they've extended into a full line for the kids anyways.

I would agree if there was a separate Ideas store, but these are being sold in the Lego Stores and even places like Target right along other sets for children.

^ & ^^ Two good points in a row nice to see we have move on from the big bang hate.

Personally, I'm not hating on the show itself. I'm just very disappointed that TLG is making a set for a show that's practically completely based on adult humor.

I would totally buy a Lego "Community" set, too, as it's the truly nerdy show of the two. Only an uber-nerdy show would spread a Beetlejuice gag over multiple seasons, and have it pay off with a blink-and-miss cameo of someone dressed as Beetlejuice walking by in the background, viewed thru a window... and the Halloween episode, come on! Nerdapalooza. TBBT is mostly 'mainstream' nerdity compared to Community, but still fun.

I don't think a Community set would be as exciting as people are making it out to be. There's really nothing special about the environment or the appearance of the characters. The show is driven by the story and the humor. That doesn't translate well into Lego.

Now, having said all that, it's quite possible that I will buy one myself. I would be interested in the rubik's cube tiles and possibly Sheldon's torso, depending on which one they choose. I'll probably just part it out on BrickLink and keep a few random things. I will create my own bedroom using some of these parts. :wink:

Edited by jodawill

How is this show smut?

It's a show that is aired during prime time, children shouldn't be watching it so adult humor is ok.

This set is aimed at adults not children. Some Lego customers and Lego themselves ( they are slowly getting it) need to realize there is a huge market for sets with more mature themes aimed at adults.