kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

I'm still in shock that this horrible sitcom that's essentially nerd blackface is getting a set.

Do you guys know that the creator is the same as the Research Institute set? Yeah, not suspicious at all..

Edited by Risgrynsgrot

I'm still in shock that this horrible sitcom that's essentially nerd blackface is getting a set.

Do you guys know that the creator is the same as the Research Institute set? Yeah, not suspicious at all..

Please mind the language, this is a thread where we talk about the sitcom and the set and don't put it in the pillory

I highly doubt it :sceptic: i think the guys appartment works better, also i love your excitement :laugh: but please keep in mind there may be people who haven't seen the latest episode's and that "But Stuart's Comic Book store burned down" is a huge spoiler, so think about what you type :wink:

BBT and the Simpsons are different universes, i think they can do a BBT episode

Also i don't get that everyone is shocked about this theme but not about the simpson's being a set AND a minifigure line?

I mean i have watched the Simpsons in my early ages and i don't find that appropriate for children, the Big Bang Theory is far more appropriate if you overlook the sex talk

Upon thinking about it, I think a LEGO Big Bang Theory episode could probably work. There are plenty of different routes they could take than what they did with The Simpsons. However, I don't think they will since it's just an Ideas project, after all.

The Simpsons today is a bit graphic, but in the past it wasn't. I remember there being several episodes focused entirely on childhood problems or parenting issues that had no references to sex whatsoever. The ones that come to mind are the one where Bart wanted to be a daredevil, the one where Homer banned Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy movie, and the one where Marge was very disturbed by the violent content on Itchy and Scratchy. There were others that were clearly more kid oriented, but I can't remember what they were.

On top of that, there were also more age-neutral episodes that had no mention of sex, the most famous example of which is the Monorail episode. No sex jokes there. Many, many episodes of The Simpsons are totally without adult topics. Granted, there are many that very prominently feature sex or alcohol, but many episodes are fairly clean.

The Big Bang Theory does have clean episodes, such as the one where Sheldon was sick (one of the best, by the way), that have little to no sex talk in them, but a lot of them very prominently feature sex jokes of some sort. In fact, in the earlier seasons, the entire appeal of Howard's character was how perverted he was, and the extremes he often took this was often the joke. This, of course, changed once he met Bernadette, but regardless that was a major part of the show.

While neither are things that would ever be aired on a kids channel, if I had to pick one, I'd say the Simpsons is far more kid-friendly than Big Bang. And plus, The Simpsons are very imbedded in popular culture to the point where not making them was as offensive as making them. The Simpsons also translate better since they are a cartoon, and the character designs are recognizable anywhere. The Big Bang Theory has some of this (everyone always wears pretty much the same clothes and has the same hair, so this is one of very few sitcoms that would actually translate well), but it isn't quite as much. I'd say, honestly, LEGO made a poor choice. Catering to adult collectors is fine, but this is just... Well, it just feels wrong, whether it is or is not, I don't feel okay about this... If that makes any sense?

Also, I don't think this will be a full line of anything. I expect one set and then that's it. Maybe of the couch, and a bit of the rest of the room? There won't be a Collectible Mini figure Line at least.

Please mind the language, this is a thread where we talk about the sitcom and the set and don't put it in the pillory

What language? I just expressed my opinion on this trainwreck, I do believe that any show with a laughtrack is horrible and should definitively not be a TV show.

And Borador, yes early Simpsons had very basica plots, very anchored to reality, the absurdity and foulness ramped up as the show went on.

What language? I just expressed my opinion on this trainwreck, I do believe that any show with a laughtrack is horrible and should definitively not be a TV show.

:sceptic:

The Little Birds is a great Ideas set, which ties in with the Lego Creator animals.

The Market for this could be huge, if even one tenth of a percent of the birders and twitchers decide to buy a set.

Okay so the Twitchers might not be interested, but some birders will be. I apologise to any birders/twitchers here if I have misunderstood your hobby. :)

Not a birder or a twitcher. But if they build the cardinal I'm getting one for my mom. Even if I have to make it for her, she'll display it at her office and love it.

Starting to think I watch a different Big Bang Theory to half the people here...

As one of my favourite shows I'm super excited for this. (If anyone's wondering I'm definitely a nerd, I've been in so many situations they find themselves in- its like laughing at my own life which everyone should do). Its also filmed in front of a studio audience, rather than having a laugh track.

From a Lego point of view its really interesting that a set with so many minifigures has been chosen- if they do the full (main) cast its way more than I'd have expected from an ideas set.

Color me intrigued by a TBBT set. I dont know about the latest seasons as Ive only seen the first two, but it doesnt seem disparaging nor inappropriate. Im especially interested in any accessories we might get.

I enjoy the show a lot, but long ago tired of the age-old stereotypical nerd jokes (like in a fairly-recent D&D episode, where Sheldon says "I've never played D&D with girls before" and Penny shoots back "No one has"; kinda demeaning to the legions of women who have played D&D for decades), and I tend to get teeth-grindy when they get nerdy facts wrong (like when Sheldon's WoW account was hacked, and the thief stole his mount; even back when that episodes was made, mounts were bound to the account of the purchaser, and could not be put up for auction; it's even possible that by that point, mounts weren't even physical items in a character's bags, but spells in the Mounts tab of their spell books, and couldn't even be sold to an NPC vendor for a little gold)

But those flaws aside, it's still an enjoyable show with fun character dynamics, and something my wife & I enjoy together. Hopefully all 7 of the regulars will get represented, but I'll likely be getting the set no matter how many are in it.

I find it really strange that people are saying that TBBT is not appropriate for Lego because of its "adult theme" i.e. some of the characters talk about sex and stuff, when they seem to be perfectly OK with Lego Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, both explicitly violent series of films that feature massive battles and people getting murdered, dismembered (I mean in one of the Star Wars films there's a scene where someone cuts off his son's hand!), tortured etc etc etc. It is not exclusively Lego where this happens- in some countries anything stronger than kissing is censored from films where graphic violence is left in- but I do find it a bit weird that people doing nice legal things together = bad, people doing horrific illegal things to each other = OK. It is a peculiar world we live in

I don't really think there will be a Lego TBBT episode but I do suspect they will build a few references to the set into at least one episode. Maybe an episode where Sheldon obsesses about a decision about buying a Lego set like the Xbox/Playstation episode and then ends up buying the TBBT set as well...

Regarding the Simpsons- I saw one of those "top 100 ever" type TV programmes once where the Simpsons was rated as the number 1 children's programmes ever. I was completely surprised at this as I have never regarded it as a children's programme... for example one of my favourite episodes, the one where Lisa tries to prevent the "snake skull-cracking day", has several fairly obvious sexual references...

---

EvilTwin

There are seven principal cast members, Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, Raj, Penny, Bernadette, and Amy. All those were quite well done by the designer of the Idea.

Apparently Lego has decided that a living room with a couch, a table, a few chairs, some detailed background items, and seven friends wouldn't be a breach of their set standards. Given that Raj no longer has to have alcohol to talk in front of women, there is very little about the scene visually that Lego should have a problem with. All the figs are dressed in their normal attire, and Lego is under no obligation to recreate the characters' conversations on the packaging, in the instructions, or in any of the promotional material.

Furthermore, Lego Ideas is driven by the teen to adult market. There is a minimum age limit to even submit an idea. Fandom is a major part of how some sets get the 10,000 supporters. As an AFOL, the parts potential here has me giddy. As a fan of the show, minifig versions of the characters are a major want.

As to the idea of a Lego show, I think the best way is to have Sheldon comment about supporting something on Lego Ideas and use the term AFOL. Or possibly Sheldon could create a Lego Trains MOC. Neither would be out of character for him.

Starting to think I watch a different Big Bang Theory to half the people here...

As one of my favourite shows I'm super excited for this. (If anyone's wondering I'm definitely a nerd, I've been in so many situations they find themselves in- its like laughing at my own life which everyone should do). Its also filmed in front of a studio audience, rather than having a laugh track.

From a Lego point of view its really interesting that a set with so many minifigures has been chosen- if they do the full (main) cast its way more than I'd have expected from an ideas set.

That's why i love it too, i find me in so many situations like that, Difficult choosing wich sword to pick and such :laugh:

Edited by kevkipo

Now, a legitimate question here: will the Penny minfigure have long or short hair?

Has to be long.

I never watched Big Bang Theory. It just doesn't appeal to me. That said, if there are great prints in it I will get the set. However, I won't pay horrendous after-market prices for it. Hopefully it will have a much large run that the Research Institute or it will at least get multiple production runs.

Now, a legitimate question here: will the Penny minfigure have long or short hair?

Good question, i'm guessing long she's more iconic like that

As to the idea of a Lego show, I think the best way is to have Sheldon comment about supporting something on Lego Ideas and use the term AFOL. Or possibly Sheldon could create a Lego Trains MOC. Neither would be out of character for him.

Heh... I can already see them giving Sheldon a very Sheldon dilemma about choosing between two similar Lego Ideas sets to support of a particular science-based set or pop-culture-based set, or even deciding between a science-based set or a pop-culture set (like, say, a Firefly/Serenity set), with Leonard or one of the others saying "Why not support both?" with Sheldon dismissing it thru some silly but perfectly logical (for him) argument... and his anxiety over which set to support leads to one of his strange dreams--in LEGO! Using the models of the actual BBT Lego minifigs, animated in a Lego Movie style. I'd get a kick out of that...

I honestly don't believe it.

I like the show, but I'm actually not too happy that LEGO picked this. It just feels wrong. I mean, The Simpsons is one thing; if I recall correctly, that show was far, far more family oriented when it first premiered. But The Simpsons are such a pop-culture icon that it really didn't matter how adult they had become; they were a notable absence on LEGO's roster.

The Big Bang Theory is... Popular. But I don't think it's really on the same level as, say, The Simpsons, or Star Wars. It's a sitcom, and a very adult-oriented one at that. It just feels wrong for LEGO to make it, and to be totally honest, I wish they hadn't. I wonder why they even picked it?

Oh well, I can at least look forward to A) A proper LEGO Sheldon, and B) The response from LEGO's Parents Boards.

Oh, and the pictures posted earlier are not preliminary, they are the project pictures. Everything is going to be changed very heavily, Cinnamon will probably not be included at all, unless they have a Yorkie mold they're sitting on, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Almost forgot! I seriously doubt they're going to do a LEGO episode of the Big Bang Theory. They just did that with the Simpsons, it's too early to do it again. Although, the Simpsons just did a crossover with Family Guy, and now, like a month or so later, they're crossing over with Futurama... Hm?

I remember my parents not letting my brother & I watch the Simpsons when it first aired because of its language.

I remember my parents not letting my brother & I watch the Simpsons when it first aired because of its language.

Same this side, everyone has their own opinion. The reason I believe we are getting a set is for the simple reason it is a once off type of set it could never be made into a full time license due to its target audience(then again I discovered the show at 13) Lego Ideas is after all a mostly AFOL site with a mostly AFOL-TFOL audience. This is the only platform we could ever get this set that is why we are getting it.

I know next to nothing about TBBT, but I'm positive that Lego will not include 7 figures in what will probably be a $35 set. I'd say four at the most. Maybe it'll be $50, but even then definitely not 7.

Heh... I can already see them giving Sheldon a very Sheldon dilemma about choosing between two similar Lego Ideas sets to support of a particular science-based set or pop-culture-based set, or even deciding between a science-based set or a pop-culture set (like, say, a Firefly/Serenity set), with Leonard or one of the others saying "Why not support both?" with Sheldon dismissing it thru some silly but perfectly logical (for him) argument... and his anxiety over which set to support leads to one of his strange dreams--in LEGO! Using the models of the actual BBT Lego minifigs, animated in a Lego Movie style. I'd get a kick out of that...

That would be FANTASTIC!

As a huge fan of both LEGO and TBBT, I would really love to see such an episode. :)