kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

i think the dr who sets will be made. they must be dealing with the estates of Terry Nation (Daleks), Gerry Davis and Kit Pedler (Cybermen). also must have to deal with Bob Baker and Dave Martin (his estate) for the rights to K-9 (and including the first 3 doctors estates and current living doctors).

This is really cool! For folks that aren't fans of the show, you could still get some cool furniture, some nice fleshy heads for civilians in the super hero line, and some cool clothing items.

As a regular fan, I have to say that the show does not denigrate the type of people the actors are portraying. It is merely a show that puts the viewer squarely into the world of the intelligent and the awkward. It is a situation comedy, so a good deal of the humor comes from these personalities dealing with exaggerated circumstances. I am watching the show on FOX right now (syndicated episodes).

I couldn't agree more with this basic summation. It seems like most of the hate for BBT comes from extroverts who are into "geeky" things thinking that the show is belittling them when that's not the case at all. Being an introvert with a circle of friends that are all highly intelligent (and with a much higher than average % of scientific professions such as materials engineer, physicist, chemical engineer, etc.) I must say that many of us closely identify with the characters on the show. I think the geeks on the show are the "normal" ones (other than their own specific idiosyncrasies) and find it enjoyable to, as gedren_y said, watch them dealing with somewhat exaggerated circumstances from a viewpoint similar to my own. :classic: If you don't care for the show, that's fine... but to say it's denigrating to geeks I think is way off the mark. With the number of in-jokes in so many genres of geek culture that are included in the show, I absolutely see it as a bunch of geeky writers who "get it" doing a loving send-up of themselves and their friends through the characters on the show.

ANYWAY... having thrown in my opinion on that... I will say that I was surprised that this was approved as a set. I might pick up a copy just for all the fun bits and pieces and minifigs that will likely be included, but I'm really not excited about it. Most of the other Cuusoo/Ideas sets have had a reasonable amount of wide-audience appeal whereas this seems like it'll really only be picked up by fans of the show. That's not a bad thing, just still seems like an odd choice coming from Lego.

Of course... I'd have to say the same thing about one of the Doctor Who sets being approved if I was looking at it objectively, but I'd be pretty excited to get one of those! To each their own, I suppose! :laugh:

I couldn't agree more with this basic summation. It seems like most of the hate for BBT comes from extroverts who are into "geeky" things thinking that the show is belittling them when that's not the case at all.

That's not why I personally dislike the show. It's for the reasons talked about in this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/apr/03/the-big-bang-theory-season-7-e4

What is Sheldon building? I can't make it out

Looks like 6386 - Police Command Base. It's a pretty old set from the early Town era.

6386_main.jpg?1249653300

Most of the other Cuusoo/Ideas sets have had a reasonable amount of wide-audience appeal whereas this seems like it'll really only be picked up by fans of the show. That's not a bad thing, just still seems like an odd choice coming from Lego.

Agreed. My guess is that they ok'd the project despite the lack of wide-audience appeal because they figure a high percentage of those people who fit in the niche audience will actually go out and buy it, and perhaps it will persuade several non-FOLs to pick one up (and maybe get hooked in the process).

The birds project, on the other hand, has probably broader appeal--lots of non-FOLs would probably say iy looks nice--but how many of those people will actually spend money on it?

The adult geek culture is very much into collectibles and trinkets, and I bet this brings a lot of former KFOLs to discover that being an AFOL is cool, too.

OK, so I'll say it because no one has: Alatariel just got two projects through. This is already her second.

My stance on Big Bang Theory is best summed up, again, with a comparison to Community.

Community had an episode in which the main characters all played a game of Dungeons & Dragons. That wasn't the joke; it was just something they did to help a depressed friend who played the game. The jokes came from the situations they faced while playing and how they roleplayed.

In The Big Bang Theory, there's a scene, (I'm sure more than one,) where they're playing Dungeons & Dragons. That's the joke. "We're playing D&D!" (Cue laugh track.) It's mean-spirited and,

, not even funny. You can't really expect anything better from the same showrunner responsible for Two and a Half Men, of course.

Ah well, it's occasionally nice to see a set where I can sigh and say, "Well, not getting that one." On the other hand I'll be very interested to see how the birds turn out.

Edited by Dufresne

The reason for this set being chosen is in Kingpixel's link--it's hugely popular and worth a lot of money. Simple as that.

So i never expected this much love (and hate :hmpf_bad: ) for the show

I for one am very excited for this news, as it is my favourite cozy sitcom

So i never expected this much love (and hate :hmpf_bad: ) for the show

I for one am very excited for this news, as it is my favourite cozy sitcom

Me to.Idk why people hate on the show.And also it will bring more AFOL back.

Just heard the news, I'm super excited, this project was lurking on Ideas for a while now, and as much as I wanted it to become an official set, I didn't expected it to actually happen. Can't wait for the final design, but I don't think it can turn me away, in any way from buying the official set :grin:

Edited by Csacsa234

Whether you like the show or not, it is likely that we will get a lot of clever minibuilds to evoke the interior of the room. That by itself is an important asset.

Me to.Idk why people hate on the show.And also it will bring more AFOL back.

Indeed, this shows Lego focusing on AFOL's

Love the show, I can't wait for the set. I hope we get a few of the board game figures for action figures.

Like Batman and green lantern next to the telescope :grin:

I would love if they included the Rubic's Tissue box and Jon Snow's sword!

Edited by kevkipo

Something I'm also quite curious about is the use of the Woody legs for Sheldon, Lego seems to be quite reluctent to bring them back.

I hope they change Bernadette's legs, because it just looks like she is just standing on a black box, highlighted even more given that her legs are non articulated.

I hope they change Bernadette's legs, because it just looks like she is just standing on a black box, highlighted even more given that her legs are non articulated.

I think they will use the new simpsons mini legs

I hope they just use regular legs for everyone. The differences in the characters' heights don't need to be exaggerated as much as kids/adults or LOTR hobbits/elves.

I hope they just use regular legs for everyone. The differences in the characters' heights don't need to be exaggerated as much as kids/adults or LOTR hobbits/elves.

I agree, Leonard is only a few centimeters taller than Howard, it is really not necessary to have such dramatic differences in height, especially considering the scene depicted is the sitting together eating, so poseable legs would be much better for depicting everyone sitting together eating.

I agree, Leonard is only a few centimeters taller than Howard, it is really not necessary to have such dramatic differences in height, especially considering the scene depicted is the sitting together eating, so poseable legs would be much better for depicting everyone sitting together eating.

Indeed. i agree