kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

So i guess it's now official!

We finally have the Big Bang Theory Lego, i can't wait to see the design and the room

This is a must buy for me

Tell me what you think below :laugh:

--------------------------------------------------------

June 3th

Set revealed! here it is fella's:

Release date: August 1st

Update: Set will be sold at San Diego Comic Con!

1933460-o_19mqfurmp106q322sueo2h1a59a-blog-huge.jpg

1934514-o_19mt08fr43ad1v0u1knpi68bvqb-blog-huge.jpg

1934510-o_19mt08fr3kum155311opkgg1i0aa-blog-huge.jpg

Picture from San Diego Comic Con:

from the photostream of Oky Yaramanoglu

19043694004_61aa6850cd_z.jpg

Edited by kevkipo

I'm honestly very shocked by this news. Psyched, but shocked. I thought BBT hadtoo many adult themes for a set. Glad I was proven wrong! :sweet:

I'm guessing we'll either get a cut out of Leonard and Sheldons room and/or that plus Penny's room. The latter is less likely, but is just as iconic, IMO.

Edited by K-Nut

YES,YES,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!

Its a dream come true to a Number 1 fan of the Big Bang Theory.

Thank you LEGO :D

Edited by Cy_Bored1337

I think it's sad that TLG's been lowering its decency standards. Kirk Christiansen would never have let them make a set for The Big Bang Theory. I don't think adult material belongs in the Lego universe. It goes against everything TLG used to stand for.

I think it's sad that TLG's been lowering its decency standards. Kirk Christiansen would never have let them make a set for The Big Bang Theory. I don't think adult material belongs in the Lego universe. It goes against everything TLG used to stand for.

Simpsons.DC and Marvel have curses sometimes in Movies.LOTR and the Hobbit have Blood and Gore.So i dont see a problem.

If you dont like it,dont buy it.There are people who will this.Like me :)

YES! Can't wait for it to finally hit shelves! I'm not making the same mistake I did with RI; this time, it'll be a first-day purchase!

Why not? There's a market for adult collectors so why not cater to them as well?

I'll give LEGO credit. This might just be the last set I ever expected to be approved. :laugh:

I think the existence of the set is fine, as Ultron said, to please AFOLs, but I do agree that it is not founded on the original ideals of TLG. That, to me, is not a bad thing. The ideals TLG has have just shifted since its creation. I'm not sure even any licensed themes were in the original ideas of TLG, which was founded to suit creativity as much as possible.

The time of night the show is on in Oz is 7.30, considered family view time so this set will appeal to adults and kids.......only thing for the geeks missing is Doctor Who and pity Kr-eo has it....but Star Trek would complete their lives ! :laugh:

One would guess it would be just the main characters in a typical setting similar to projects one......but we'll have to wait and see.

Unexpected. I have yet to see the show, but most primetime shows I would assume wouldn't be worth licensing. Granted, this being a shorter production run, it won't be as widely available, so it will cater to the adult fans more easily than something sitting on the shelf at every retailer.

I will definitely pick it up since I love new figures/prints. I may have to watch the show eventually if netflix or amazon prime ever get it for free instant.

(I posted this earlier in another forum, but I'm reposting it here because of relevancy. If there's any issue, I will gladly spoiler tag it.)

My personal feelings on this...are not positive, shall we say.

There are three different ways or types of comedy, that non-"nerds" can make about "nerdy" or "geeky" topics. The number of types becomes extremely broader for anyone inside a group, of course, but we are not talking about them.

I'll talk about the positive way first. With the positive way, there is one simple world view - everyone is different, but that is perfectly all right. You like one thing, I like another, and we respect that. We may even examine each other's favorites, and make new ones! But even if I don't personally like what you like, it's okay for you to like it.

The second way, although not as vicious as the third, is simply inappropriate and vulgar, no matter what the topic. You take any topic, no matter how beloved, and spew as many crude jokes, references, and twists as possible about it as quickly as possible. Will a few people laugh? Yes, a very few, but even if it is moderately successful, why resort to the absolute lowest standard? Why not give it the effort it deserves, and come up with jokes that actually are based around humor, and not shock value?

The third is one of the worst things about modern comedy. It's what could be called the "hipster" stance. It is when characters are looked down upon for liking something, simply for liking something. It can be occasionally be gentle humor, and not entirely insulting - such as a strong man still sleeping with a teddy bear - but it almost never is. The viewpoint of this stance, is to look down on everything that is against the suggested normal. It allows you to choose what you like - but you understand that by choosing anything that is not "approved," everyone else has the right to make fun of you for it. This is basic bully psychology, and it is a problem that permeates society as a whole, but that does not make it any less wrong. It's not at all necessary for a successful comedy show, even one based heavily on "non-normal" topics - Look at Community, a show that(aside from some extremely irrelevant jabs at religion), managed to go its entire run without resorting to this. Was it cancelled? Yes. But the fan reaction was so strong for it that it was finally resurrected as an online show.

If you still like the show, that's all right - but please, next time you're laughing at a joke, just think a moment, and ask yourself how very different the subject in question is from anything you do, and if you were the person in question - would you really be laughing along with the people making fun of you?

I've honestly never noticed any of that about the show and can't think of any instances where things like that have happened. This is a show where it's cool to be nerdy. I'm not a regular watcher; I'll only watch it if it's on, but if you could point specific scenes or moments out it would help.

That, to me, is not a bad thing. The ideals TLG has have just shifted since its creation.

Exactly. This is a good change. Lego is now about being inclusive no matter the gender, age, or whatever. They shouldn't feel the need to only make sets for kids, even if that is 80% of their audience.

I agree with Lind Whisperer, I feel as though the comedy the show uses is absolutely of the belittling variety. It's not 100% mean-spirited, but nearly every character who likes "geek" stuff (which is to say, primetime television's idea of geek stuff) is depicted as an introvert. It'd be one thing if there was a foil, a well-adjusted "normal" person still into "geek" stuff, but the show's message more often than not comes across as "if you like geek stuff, you're a weirdo." There's exceptions, as I believe every one of the main characters now has a girlfriend for instance, but that's more just the show's progression. I also believe, despite this statement, more credit is being given than is due. In reality, the show is simply a one-track joke of "get it, they're nerds!" And the implications seem more like unintentional side effects of this method. Still, the fact that the show by-and-large treats their "geek" hobbies as a negative thing frowned upon or mocked by "normal" people makes the idea of Big Bang Theory Lego sets ironic. The target audience of TBBT is the same audience that would more likely than not be... persuaded to mock the Lego collecting audience by the show, in my opinion.

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

The viewpoint of this stance, is to look down on everything that is against the suggested normal. It allows you to choose what you like - but you understand that by choosing anything that is not "approved," everyone else has the right to make fun of you for it.

I think the premise of TBBT is that even though you get bullied a lot as kids, you can still grow up to be someone amazing. It's not saying that everyone has the right to make fun of you, but simply pointing out the ways of the world; that if you don't conform, people are going to bully you, which is pretty spot-on, I must say. I am very much a non-conformist myself, and sometimes people give me shit for it. they don't have the right to; they just do, because they're megablocks. Does that mean that I should conform? Or that people observing my situation should conform? No, it doesn't; it inspires you to stand up for yourself, knowing you're right, knowing that these bullies will get the worse deal at the end of the day. The best part about the characters in TBBT is that they don't conform, and they are still rich, successful and happy while their bullies are poor and live terrible lives. I don't see it glorifying bullying in any way, but the complete opposite. It celebrates being true to who you are, as a person, regardless of what anyone says, and being happy for it.

I'm not really happy about this choice but rest of the candidates wasn't really up to my liking too so I don't really care. TBBT is just a silly tv serie which actually mocks and have fun of nerds and geeks rather than showing them for who they trully are. Oh well, bad sets are good for my wallet.

I am really not happy about this choice. I think The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show and a really boring idea for an Ideas project.

Never was a big fan of BBT, but I need to pick this one up just for all those new prints (and hopefully that Flash t-shirt!) and all those pop culture memorabilia in the room! :wub:

I'm really surprised that TLG chose this idea (well both ideas actually, a LEGO bird is definitely not something I imagined a lot of people would get excited about), it's still a rather young show and I never thought they'd choose to make a set based on a sitcom.

Unless the set contains a lot of interesting parts (which is a possibility) I don't think I'll buy it as I don't really have any interest for the show... but well I'm glad fans of the series will be getting a set based on it.

While the show uses some coarse humor, the basic living rooms and lab areas are pretty benign. A Lego version of Leonard and Sheldon's great room would have plenty of visual interest, and the characters in Lego should have some great details.

As a regular fan, I have to say that the show does not denigrate the type of people the actors are portraying. It is merely a show that puts the viewer squarely into the world of the intelligent and the awkward. It is a situation comedy, so a good deal of the humor comes from these personalities dealing with exaggerated circumstances. I am watching the show on FOX right now (syndicated episodes).

Edited by gedren_y