Sign in to follow this  
john cleese

Problems with BS / Is BrickShelf no more ???

Wow.

Hey guys... know all those mocs I've done?

My hobby, my life since 2001?

Gone.

Backups died on crashed hard drives.

Kevin killed Geekshelf while I was offline.

Invisionfree1 servers lost all their image data.

Brickshelf was it.

I'm now nothing in the mocing / Lego community.

; /

Wow.

Hey guys... know all those mocs I've done?

My hobby, my life since 2001?

Gone.

Backups died on crashed hard drives.

Kevin killed Geekshelf while I was offline.

Invisionfree1 servers lost all their image data.

Brickshelf was it.

I'm now nothing in the mocing / Lego community.

; /

Jinzo, you gained friends. You gained experience and building knowledge. And you've had a lot of fun. Pictures mean little. You can rebuild. You can make better things. And you will. Right here with us :-)

I just can't believe it would end like this.

Unless the server has exploded, the data is still there somewhere. Thousands of AFOLs, some with very deep pockets and very resourceful and capable, are going to be devasted by this.

I think that at the very least brickshelf will come online for a short period to permit people to backup their pictures, or an image of the server will be tranferred to a place from which it can be accessed.

URLs etc may be screwed but the data will be recovered.

I don't know anything special or more than anyone else... it just seems reasonable.

This is also an opportunity for TLC to do something that the AFOL community will remember FOREVER!!

This is also an opportunity for TLC to do something that the AFOL community will remember FOREVER!!

You mean set up their own BS? Salvage the current one? Sounds great, but I doubt they'll do it :-/

You mean set up their own BS? Salvage the current one? Sounds great, but I doubt they'll do it :-/

We don't know why the system went down. But if it was just because the person running it got tired of maintaining the site, or paying for the bandwidth, it would be less tham trivial to take care of that. The software was quite primitive, and hadn't changed over many years, yet was very stable.

Even if TLC revived it for 6 months so that everyone could migrate somewhere else in an organized way.

The horror...the horror

Now what to do?? *sad*

Brickshelf was great to show MOCs and other lego realated stuff

This makes me think

If brickshelf is now gone forever and no hope of return what website should we use?

Piranha

EDIT: Hope

I answered my own question

Edited by Piranha

Several months ago (maybe longer), I thought the talk was that Brickshelf would be shutting down. If I recall correctly, the recommendation was to migrate to Maj.com.

This is horrible! :'-( Farewell, dear Brickshelf. :'-(

S_20face20of20price20tomb_06748.jpg

*sing* WHY! WHY BRICKSHELF? WHY NOT ME!?!? *SOB*

flickeringcandle.gif-Light Vigil, ON!

Edited by Norrington

Several months ago (maybe longer), I thought the talk was that Brickshelf would be shutting down. If I recall correctly, the recommendation was to migrate to Maj.com.

Pffft... first I ever heard of it. >:-(

I love Kevin for what he's created... but god damn... there's something inhuman in not warning people a decade or so of their life is about to vanish.

And there's many a philanthropist who would've helped him save the data more securely.

I truly do not understand him.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

I love Kevin for what he's created... but god damn... there's something inhuman in not warning people a decade or so of their life is about to vanish.

And there's many a philanthropist who would've helped him save the data more securely.

Jinzo, that has to hurt. I am so sorry to hear about the subsequent crashes...I hope the files from BS will be miraculously salvaged...my thoughts go out for you.

Seriously, if he would've revealed he was sick of it all/having problems, I/somebody would've purchased BS from him, the techonology the brand loyalty, advertising possibilities 8-

CRAPCRAPCRAP!

There goes five years worth of MOCs. While I would say only the last two years worth of MOCs were anything truly interesting, I still have old favorites from before I owned this computer. I had most of them saved on a disc, but when we switched OS, from ME to XP, the disc wouldn't read. Brickshelf was all I had for those MOCs.

<<DV>>

Well that's life I suppose.

I guess my bigger concern for the future is where should I host my LEGO images in the future? More importantly, if the site you host on isn't a hub for the community, will anybody even take the time to view them? At this point, I think I'm going to keep most of my work offline until something new comes along. I'm considering a Flickr account, but I'll wait a bit first.

Haha. I havn't personally used brickshelf in ages except when looking at some of the japanese builder's mocs, so that is the only thing im worried about. I use flickr, so I lol'd. My advice, just use maj or flickr.

To quote some of you, Flickr on!

-l2k-

Edited by lego2000

Well apparently sne and I closed both topics at the same time :-D I thought the other one should be used since the problem mentioned in this thread was resolved, and I guess he thought the other one should be closed since we have this one...

Either way I'll reopen this one so we have SOMEWHERE to talk about it!

yeah there were three topics on at some point last night and no one of the staff was online, so i decided to keep the one with the most posts/views open and close the rest. i did see you came online when i was already closing the first one X-D The title said "problems with BS", one that's large enough to have a discussion about the current problem on BS, even though the innitial problem mentioned in the thread was something different, but then H39 posted about the current problem in here, starting the discussion in this topic; Then i decided to close the other two.

I'll have to check my whole digital photo sticks, if pics from the gallery are still on them, I'll only have to download and resize them, but that will cost hours. And then get them up to maj.com if this is permanent. my render instructions from early 2003 to present are still complete as CAD-Files on the HD, but It will be much work rendering especially the later ones again. Some of my pics are gone meanwhile, with a loss of 50 to 65% from not too many real brick pics.

Upgrade: My pictures from 2006-present are still there, but most from 2005 are gone now. Therefore my italian restaurant and various other city houses/buildings. For new pics I'll might have to rebuilt them someday. But this isn't a big problem, since I always make instructions to them. Only the first snow groomer is completeley lost now, and I won't rebuild it again, due to the better 2006 follow-up.

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi

This is terrible!

Anyone seen this? It's from MOCpages:

We are actively working on the Brickshelf / images problem. Please be patient! We're sorry for the problems and hope everything will be back to normal soon.

Sounds hopeful.... although the end sounds less hopeful...

My apologies if it has been posted before

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

Haha. I havn't personally used brickshelf in ages except when looking at some of the japanese builder's mocs, so that is the only thing im worried about. I use flickr, so I lol'd. My advice, just use maj or flickr.

-l2k-

That

CRAPCRAPCRAP!

There goes five years worth of MOCs. While I would say only the last two years worth of MOCs were anything truly interesting, I still have old favorites from before I owned this computer. I had most of them saved on a disc, but when we switched OS, from ME to XP, the disc wouldn't read. Brickshelf was all I had for those MOCs.

<<DV>>

You can take it to a place that has Macs, unload it, then stick it on Photobucket.

-l2k-

Strewth man! You aren't going to make many friends with that attitude! :-(

I've never used Brickshelf either (I mean, I don't have anything on there myself) - but I can still perceive that this is a major, MAJOR blow to the AFOL community and for it just to be turned off like that is beyond bad - it's criminal.

To all those who appear, at this time, to have lost their work - my heart goes out to you.

:-(

Dr. S.

As I never registered to BS, I don't have all those problems, so I'm deeply sorry for those who lost (at least for the time being) their work.

On the other hand, let's face it an instant : BS was risky. Puting all your eggs in the same basket, with the eggs of other people, and pray for the thing to run smoothly forever is never a good alternative.

So even though L2k's post might sound harsh, I think he is right in a way. He understood the first rule in the computer world : it never works fine. You always need a backup.

Edit : Shit, I just realized we lost all our events' pictures ! Raaahhhhhhh, why oh why ?

well i think Flickr is even worse. you always get small pics and they take ages to load. actually, BS was ideal in the way that it gathered as many pics from as many different people as possible; that's what a community needs, IMO. sure, from a strategic point of view, it may have been fragile, but the main purpose of a site like that is to stimulate the community's work, to spread/share ideas. and if it's fragile, it's because of seriously crappy people messing it up... only because they enjoy other people's misery >:-(

So even though L2k's post might sound harsh, I think he is right in a way. He understood the first rule in the computer world : it never works fine. You always need a backup.

Well that I can agree with! My photos are backed up once a day to another computer, aside from regular DVD backups.... and I never rely on a storage service for anything. I use services like Brickshelf to display. If it doesn't return it will be missed by many, myself included. In future I will use my own site as bandwidth is relatively cheap these days anyway.