Sign in to follow this  
john cleese

Problems with BS / Is BrickShelf no more ???

Here's another update from bricklink.com:

"It has been stated to me this morning, via email, that BrickShelf is going to a fee-site. Although I did not hear this from the

horse's mouth directly; I heard it from a friend of the horse.

Can't imagine why THAT would be a secret, though."

Sounds good to me.

And Jinzo, if life has taught me anything it's that this probably has something to do with money sceptic.gif Maybe he closed it up so that he could sell Brickshelf, so that there'd be higher demand from people who want to save their pictures?

It makes sense to me...

That thought DEFINITELY crossed my mind.

Temporarily deprive access, show investors the MASSIVE stream of activity.

But mere access to daily traffic statistics could do that too, y'know?

Now you have people migrating all over the internet as a result of this fiasco.

"It has been stated to me this morning, via email, that BrickShelf is going to a fee-site. Although I did not hear this from the

horse's mouth directly; I heard it from a friend of the horse.

Can't imagine why THAT would be a secret, though."

A fee-site!?! As in, you pay to use! Oh, that is B.S.! (the other BS!) I am soooo migrating to Flickr, or I'm switching my main base to Photobucket where I am curently refuging.

A fee site? A FEE site?

I called it like three minutes before you posted. Damnit Kevin

If Brickshelf turns into a fee site, but doesn't add a heck of a lot of cool new features, I can safely say that he'll lose a lot of customers to Flickr, or other sites, including myself. :-/

I have no trouble in it becoming a pay site.

But you know what MY fear in that is?

New features lol.

It might be basic, but I LOVE the simplicity of it.

Aside from Google ads and whatnot, it's a pretty clean dealie goin' on there.

Add too much junk, and it might as well be like trying to navigate a thread on Lugnet lol.

Simple interface FTW.

I think that it if will actually become a fee site that some people will step up and create a free alternative. There is basicly no reason for making it a fee site. As it will probably raise enough money from people that are willing to donate as well as that it can raise considerable money from ads that are on the site.

Considering the cost the site should easily be self paying. The only thing of concern is the cost of time. But if you would find a dedicated team of people to maintain the site it's pretty doable (and I'm sure that it's easy to find a couple of dozen people that are willing to help :))

Edit: Forgot a word, which made it unclear ...

Edited by Dryw Filtiarn

I think that it will actually become a fee site that some people will step up and create a free alternative. There is basicly no reason for making it a fee site.

Well, for some, you're talking about having to save, then re-upload hundreds of pictures all over again.

In my case, probably over a thousand.

THEN, they all have to go back and re-link all their images in every topic they ever linked them to.

To pay to get granted link access back to where it was?

Yeah, call me a sucker, but I'd pay.

I'm grateful for what Brickshelf has been to everyone so far. I almost WANT to pay as a "thank you".

One could have donated before this, but oh well, here's just a push to get that ball rolling.

UniqueBuilder

post Today, 02:39 PM

Zerostuds was shut down because it didn't become what Kevin wanted it to be--it became infested with kids, people around the age 12. Like I was that time.. He wanted it to be centered around mature AFOL discussion with fellow adults.. I apologise for what I did in my early days. Sorry, guys. blush.gif

Yeah, i recall he didn't even have a Bionicle section, merely redirecting over to BPZ lol.

He clearly didn't like all the Bionicle mocs and the kids who made it happen.

So? Make it a pay site... then only the RICH kids will have to be tolerated lol.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

If he just ASKED for assistance, I'm sure enough sites would have donated enough to keep this going. He had no reason not to at least give us some advanced notice about this. I don't know about you, but I'll be migrating to a free site...

If it does become a pay site, but all the past history is inaccessible at the addresses previously located...

THEN it'll be a failure.

But perhaps the super-secret backdoor was intentionally dropped to show it's still there?

Lol... this is making my head hurt. Backing away from internet now...

:-D

With brickshelf gone, I'm gonna have to make my own lego website. (well, I guess I don't have to, but I want to) and that costs money...plus a lot of my work which is now taken apart is gone, luckily I saved a majority of the pics, and a majority is better than a minority, or none I guess. :-(

Well, for some, you're talking about having to save, then re-upload hundreds of pictures all over again.

In my case, probably over a thousand.

THEN, they all have to go back and re-link all their images in every topic they ever linked them to.

You're partially true there. But what if the situation arises where only content is restored for people that actually pay and all other content is dropped or at least inaccessible. Then it might be an attractive alternative when there's a free site that offers the seem thing for free. And all the images that broke... yeah, that's a shame :(

You're partially true there. But what if the situation arises where only content is restored for people that actually pay and all other content is dropped or at least inaccessible. Then it might be an attractive alternative when there's a free site that offers the seem thing for free. And all the images that broke... yeah, that's a shame :(

Ah, I see what you mean.

I'd not mind paying for my linked pics back... but to lose all images from the japanese / deceased / out of the scene mocers of the past?

Hmm... yeah, that might not be worth it.

No more Moko?

No more Sugegasa?

Pffft. Scary.

And one of the reasons i'm Shocked that Brickshelf is gone is no more inspiration for CITY greebles...

(P.S-Jinzo, what game is your banner from? or dd you sprite it yourself?)

While I'm not defending Lugnet old boys just for the sake of it, (I have witnessed a few more BS scares then most EBers) I'd like to ask everybody to hold off attacking Kevin until more (business) days are allowed for a response. A few reasons:

-He built Brickshelf

-He may only be making changes/impleminting fees in which case he may have a 'just get it done' attitude to notification (has been in the past).

-The lego community is not as easy to inform as it used to be. Last time there were serious problems a post on Lugnet sufficed.

-He may think a fee site would be better for more than just his pocket, a few less random piles of bricks taking up bandwidth...

-donations are hard to bank on.co-ordinate/run on especially if you are not in the community

Oh and JINZONINGEN 73 why on earth you'd feel the need to bash Dan and Jan/peeron is beyond me... They have created (and actively maintained for 9 years!) one of the most comprehensive lego reference guides on the internet. They also saved the instruction scan database...

God Bless,

Nathan

Whew. I'm just glad I had a back-up Flickr Gallery. However, I would strongly suggest to you, Kevin, wherever you are, don't try and turn BS into a profit site. That's like trying to turn a hedgehog into a microchip-it'll never happen. I, and surely other EBers and Mocers, will stand by my rights to share and distribute my images for free.

Edited by Lieutenant Colonel Thok

Well to be honest, it will work to a limited degree. A few people with money to burn will pay for the site. Similar to how LUGnet works, there are people who will pay, but not as many as who would be there otherwise. Other free AFOL picture-hosting services will pop up, and slowly Brickshelf will whither and die. Then there will be a bunch of smaller image-hosting sites up, which will work fine, although more annoying in the fact that they're separate. Following that, maybe some time down the road there may or may not be a merger, to bring about a true successor to Brickshelf.

I'm sorry to say IMO this won't end well for Brickshelf.

A few people with money to burn will pay for the site.

Aye, I'll agree with that, but I'm a bit of a pauper, with all my money devoted to the building of Lego. Why should we have to pay to show the world our favorite hobby? Still, i suppose you're right. BS will wither and die if it becomes a fee-paying site.......

But on the bright side, we do still have maj.com! And that, folks, makes me happy.

I just miss the 1,899,999 pictures that was not my own.

BS ws great inspiration *y*

What ever the future brings it will never be the same

Wow. First, I want to extend my sympathy to those who lost their pictures. I had not used Brickshelf for very long, but I always enjoyed looking at everyone's creations. This is indeed a terrible blow to the online community.

[speech on] Since it appears now that the site as shut down intentionally, for whatever reason it was, all I have to say to the proprietor is: You, sir, are a jerk. To not give warning of a shutdown may not be the duty of the proprietor, but neither is it the duty of the citizen to save another from misfortune. One would clearly expect one human to save another, and so one would expect the proprietor to announce an imminent closure. To not do this is a bad idea on the part proprietor. If this is all a ploy to make the site a pay site: forget Brickshelf, I will put my images elsewhere. [speech off]

Apologies for the angry tone of my post.

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Hi

did someone noticed that the name "brickshelf.com" expires on 20th of august this year?

I for myself have the hope that brickshelf will come back with an other name.

Brickshelf on!

rgds

Sebastian

Edited again... after re reading my post that was really really creepy. So, for decency, I removed the info (a pic of kevin from google, and a transcript of a convo with a work colleague of his). I'm going to let this story take a run for wherever it's going, but after this silly little interlude, and in the light of realising what I have done could well be perceived as harassment, as pointed out by starwars4J, i'm just going to leave it to Troy and other lugnet peeps to sort out, the usual methods.

Edited by birdie100

Oh and JINZONINGEN 73 why on earth you'd feel the need to bash Dan and Jan/peeron is beyond me... They have created (and actively maintained for 9 years!) one of the most comprehensive lego reference guides on the internet. They also saved the instruction scan database...

Old stuff, years old. Probably no longer relevant.

Drama OFF!

(P.S-Jinzo, what game is your banner from? or dd you sprite it yourself?)

Far East of Eden (I think) was the rom I ripped it from, right before the ending of the game.

Lol... I'm not sure if I approve of contacting him through his work's interface.

Some workplaces look down on that greatly. :-P

I would be very careful, birdie. What you did might border on harassment. If you have a direct way to get in touch with Kevin, sending him an e-mail isn't always a bad idea, however contacting him through work might be. You should probably stay away from that kind of communication, and stick to e-mail and the like. Similarly don't call him :-P

Also, try to type more than a couple of words per line, you'll get a nicer response most of the time that way ;-)