Sign in to follow this  
LordDan

HSS: Araluen Quarry

This is my entry for Avalonian task 4, in the category of REQ-Laborers

15534235270_2c7d971805.jpg

IMG_4118 by lorddan413, on Flickr

This scene depicts on of several small quarries in the area surrounding the settlement of Araluen. Due to their small size, the quarries are mined by hand by workers, often working alone or in pairs. Miners load smaller stone into a barrel carried by a horse for transport back to the camp, while larger stone are dragged back by the horse. The quantity of stone provided by a single quarry is quite low, but with more than half a dozen of these quarries Araluen manages to get enough stone.

15719073575_6b7ac861d4.jpg

Quarry Worker 2.0 by lorddan413, on Flickr

15149014428_bfbe061af2.jpg

Quarry w/o figs 2.0 by lorddan413, on Flickr

About this build: I built this back in September, but i never got around to posting it until now. It as originally going to be part of a a larger rock face, but it didn't fit because of the SNOT and stuff, so i repurposed it and built a base. One thing i dislike about it is the green plate running underneath the rock, but I didn't catch it until way after i took the pictures. Oh yeah i named my settlement Araluen

C & C welcome :classic:

Nice build, LordDan!

The rockwork looks nice, especially the slab laying on the ground. The tree root coming from the rock is excellent. That minifigure is perfect for a miner.

I agree that the plate under the rock should not be green, as you mentioned.

Brick on, LordDan!

Nice little quarry, Lord Dan, great rock-work and vegetation :thumbup:

A like the miner and the horse with the barrel as well :wink:

Nice build, LordDan!

The rockwork looks nice, especially the slab laying on the ground. The tree root coming from the rock is excellent. That minifigure is perfect for a miner.

I agree that the plate under the rock should not be green, as you mentioned.

Brick on, LordDan!

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, especially the miner. I spent a lot of time trying to think of a fig that would work in this situation:)

Nice little quarry, Lord Dan, great rock-work and vegetation :thumbup:

A like the miner and the horse with the barrel as well :wink:

Thank you:)

Great work here! The rockwork is very nice. Is the settlement name perhaps influenced by Ranger's Apprentice? :classic:

Thanks!I'm glad someone got that reference from my favorite medival book series:)

Nice little scene... Not too sure the horse likes packing stuff on his back with rope in that fashion, but it works, :classic:

A nice little moc for sure! Great details packed into that small area

Nitpick is the grass under the rocks and that the horse should have a person leading it. Other than that superb!

This is nice and it's cool to see some other Ranger's Apprentice fans out there!

Nice! the rocks are looking very good!

Nice! A border would disguise the green plate.

A border would have worked very well, I can't believe Idisnt think of that. For future refrence, what color works good for a border? I've tried in the past but they often end up looking very bland and boring.

Very good mixture of studs up and SNOT rockwork :thumbup: The barrel on the horse looks neat too :classic:

Thanks!

Nice little scene... Not too sure the horse likes packing stuff on his back with rope in that fashion, but it works, :classic:

Well if a horse can strap a saddle on its back and carry one of those fat humans I bet that little barrel wouldn't bother him too much :)

A nice little moc for sure! Great details packed into that small area

Nitpick is the grass under the rocks and that the horse should have a person leading it. Other than that superb!

I can't believe that I forgot to have the horse secured. I intended it to be standing there, not leaving yet since the big stone chunk still needed to be tied on so the horse could drag it. I think I could have had it tied off to a post so it wouldn't wander off.