billyneon

[MOC] 'The Homer' car from The Simpsons

I've had a bunch of licence-related MOCs on the go for ages, but this time last week, inspiration struck - and I've quickly pulled together this MOC of 'The Homer'. This is the car from The Simpsons episode Oh Brother Where Art Thou? where Homer designs a terrible, terrible car for his long-lost brother's car company.

In the show, the results are disastrous... But for me, this has been a lot of fun. I built it across three evenings, and used the recent Hot Wheels version of The Homer (only £1.75 in supermarkets here in the UK!) for reference on the proportions. I avoided looking at the one or two other MOCs of this out there.

15519328137_3b6a4a72e7.jpgDSC_0263 by MOChael, on Flickr

That's the main image and the gallery has more shots, including some comparisons for size with Wetwired's excellent LEGO Ideas ECTO-1 from this summer.

Most pleasing part of the build has been using part #12708 - this is one half of the Christmas Baubles you can by from LEGO S@H and the retail stores. I've wanted to use one in a build for ages (and have a bunch of ideas in my head but not had any time to implement them until now).

Here, I think the contours inside the dome (which usually hold a dish when actually used as a christmas bauble) suit the windscreen really well. It's obviously an unorthodox piece, but I do consider it a true LEGO piece - the whole on the tab at the top of the dome is stud-sized! That's how I was able to make something with a Technic peg/pin that created a structure to hold the horn and also helped hold the dome in place.

I build it with a bunch of PAB wall pieces - that lime green colour is rife at the moment, and spot on here - plus four Mixels packs and some of my spares.

Nice! I'm only familiar with the hotwheels model that you,ve used as reference and can only say: you've nailed it!

Where on Eart did you find that dome pieces.

Looks really like the real thing, you migh add some lime stickers on the dome.

TheHomer.jpg

Awesome! I love this MOC, it's also nice to see the use of a Lego christmas bauble in the build. :classic:

Nailed it!

I see this and have visions of Herb crying that he is ruined...

Edited by Krikkit