jtlan

[MOC] Gr670 Cabforward locomotive

Greetings Train Tech,

I finished this a couple of months ago, but I've only just got around to posting it.

img_0598.jpg

This unusual locomotive was designed in 1900. The Gr670 is a compound locomotive, featuring two high-pressure cylinders on one side and two low-pressure cylinders on the other. While a cab-forward design seems like a logical way to build a locomotive, it doesn't seem to have been that popular, presumably due to logistical challenges, such as where to store the fuel (note the giant coal bunker behind the cab, overlapping the boiler). The Gr670 was apparently nicknamed "Mucca", meaning "cow".

img_0602.jpg

The locomotive is essentially two trucks (one containing the pistons and the drivers) pivoting under a rigid body. It took some messing around to find pivot locations that allowed the locomotive to clear curves without the flanges of the drivers scraping against the boiler.

img_0607.jpg

The tender is probably my favorite part of the model. The cab-and-tank appearance of the tender echoes that of the locomotive, lending weight to the theory that the locomotive was nicknamed "mucca" because the locomotive and tender together reminded some observers of a cow and calf.

img_0604.jpg

And some video:

Full Brickshelf gallery

More info on the Gr670

Wikipedia article (Italian)

Let me know what you think!

Edited by jtlan

That's interesting. I didn't realize there were many cab-forward steam engines. I am only familiar with the USA Southern Pacific cab-forwards for long tunnel service in the Sierra Nevada. They burned oil instead of coal.

That's interesting. I didn't realize there were many cab-forward steam engines. I am only familiar with the USA Southern Pacific cab-forwards for long tunnel service in the Sierra Nevada. They burned oil instead of coal.

Cab-forward locomotives aren't that common. A number of railroads ordered or built experimental ones that they wound up not using. Gr670 and the Southern Pacific ones are the only types of which a reasonable number were produced (unless you count ordinary tank engines as "cab-forward").

That is a fascinating little engine (the prototype) with the cabs on both ends, looks like it anticipated the never built ACE designs of the early 1980's. The MOC is well done too, great work and thanks for sharing.