Dufresne

The Bonewagon - Grim Fandango

Anyone who played the 1998 LucasArts adventure game Grim Fandango remembers the Bonewagon, the hearse-turned-hot-rod driven by the demon Glottis and used as Manny Calavera's primary means of transportation across the Land of the Dead.

15691091851_76b98e702c_c.jpg

Best viewed while listening to

. More images are available on my Flickr photostream.

I did cheat a bit on this one, so it's not 100% purist. Glottis' lock of hair is stuck on his forehead with a piece of stick-tack, and I painted the 8-ball on the gearshift.

"Glottis, are you loco? What got into you? That was a company car!"

"OH YEAH! And it's even better company now!"

Edited by Dufresne

Googling the pictures of the game model, I have to say you really did a great job. Its such a crazy vehicle, can you tell more about it? Like whats the orange monster inf ront for, etc...

Thanks Zblj! The orange monster in the front is Glottis. The game never explicity calls him a "speed demon," but that's what he is. To put it in his own words:

"My roots lie not in any Earthly nation's soil. I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: TO DRIVE! Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open."

The car starts out the game as a normal-looking hearse, as Manny Calavera's company car. Manny is a grim reaper that works for the Department of Death. He's basically a travel agent, ferrying departed souls across the Land of the Dead to the 9th Underworld, the land of eternal rest. Glottis, the DoD's mechanic, takes the car and modifies it to his own preferred speed. Later in the game it gets hydraulic shocks as well, which lets it handle any type of terrain.

Edited by Dufresne

I know that game very well, one of my favorites of all time, and that car and Glottis are one of the most memorable scenes for me. You have done a fantastic job, I am sorry a lot of people might not be familiar with it, but maybe that's just what makes it so special. :classic:

Not familiar with the game, but hat a great build! I'm a sucker for spooky hotrods. Especially hearses. In fact, the Monster Fighters Hotrod Hearse was the set that made me beome an afol... :)

Love that orange demon. Where did the 8-ball come from? Is it a custom piece?

Not familiar with the game, but hat a great build! I'm a sucker for spooky hotrods. Especially hearses. In fact, the Monster Fighters Hotrod Hearse was the set that made me beome an afol... :)

Love that orange demon. Where did the 8-ball come from? Is it a custom piece?

Thanks! Yes, the 8-ball is custom, as I painted a Technic ball joint. I tried to use a sticker but getting it to lie flush to the ball didn't work and looked terrible anyway.

Also, if you're unfamiliar with the game, you're in luck! It's being remastered by Double Fine Games, to be released for the PS4, PC and Mac. It's one of my all-time favorite games, so I highly recommend it!

Edited by Dufresne

I think the 8-ball is a great touch. Sometimes drastic measures like paint is allowed by me. ;)

(I painted Lego for the very first time two days ago, heheh.)

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that game :)

I haven't either played Grim Fandango, but this one looks really nice! The design is great and I love the parts that you have used! Have you thought of putting it up on LEGO Ideas?

Is it possible to get/buy the plan for this?

I like your design very much and would build this with my son.

Thank you :-)

Oh...my...god! Never did I think I would see the day of a Grim Fandango MOC. Glottis is perfect, the bone wagon looks amazing! Well done, well done indeed! I love it one of my favorite MOCs!