I am not sure if anything like this has been posted before. Is so, forgive me. I have not seen anything like this and, hence, the reason I am making the post myself. :)

Occasionally I will see someone post blueprints on their brickshelf page, but I was wondering if there would be more of a need to see more comprehensive blueprints of others' models. I understand that how-a-days people use LDD or other software for planning their models... but does anyone do hand sketches of their blueprints anymore?

Some things are virtually essential to have blueprints for. One's working memory is simply not large enough to rely on when you are working with tons of information. Here are a few of my blueprint sketches. Two are from the pneumatic scheme for the landing gear to my Millennium Falcon. The other is for a new Hangar that I am making for my Mecha projects.

Does anyone else have hand-sketched drawings of blueprints? Pneumatic schemes are nearly impossible without some type of plan. Large projects, where stud count becomes large and increasingly important for measurements also necessarily require some form of blueprint. Like I said, many now-a-days use software, but if there are more hand-sketched blueprints out there... I would love to see 'em!14149282431_DISPLAY.jpg14149282432_DISPLAY.jpg

13787833022_DISPLAY.jpg

Here are the plans for the Hangar. Sorry, the sketch was done lightly, so it is difficult to see.

14149284621_DISPLAY.jpg

I often made hand drawings, when I take first measurements of the model I want to build. I use online blueprints, define the scale, take ruler and measure direct from the screen. Then I draw the model by hand and draw major dimensions. Later I build it in mlcad.

Also, i draw various modules or mechanisms of the models that i dont want to keep in my head.

I know there are tool that can do that on computer, but this method is more satisfying for me.

When I draw something its usually just stuff I dont want to forget after egtting ideas before going to bed. I dont really do much plans though... Oh and LDD is usefull when you are trying different solutions.

I don't draw sketches and that must be an important reason why I can't solve semi-advanced mechanical problems. This may be a reason for the totally backwards problem solving (trying random pieces to see if it solves the particular problem)

Oh yes, I sketch a lot. From quick model ideas and descriptions all the way up to hand drawn 3D perspectives to spot and solve upcoming challenges. As a result of my job, I'm much faster at sketching different iterations than building them in LDD of real life. Only when I'm working on integrating these partial solutions, I revert to LDD and actual parts.

I tried to bundle my sketches into a sketchbook once, but because ideas pop up at the most weird moments, I end up with a bunch of papers of all sizes and forms. This is also a clue as to why I keep sketching: Often I don't have access to LDD or parts when I experience inspirational moments (@ work, during train travel, on holiday, in the middle of the night, etc).

I don't have a functioning scanner at the moment, so I'm not able to show any examples.

Blueprint on the other hand, I don't use often. To determine the correct scale, I use googled images of the real machine and photoshop LLD screenshots or photo's of my WIP on top of them. This make the differences and the areas of attention very clear. Here is an example of my 8052 redesign in progress where I was determining the chassis length, cabine position and height. The reference is the front axle with the 42024 wheels and tires. Note that the WIP had two rear axles at that time, and the real life example only one.

6eodqu.jpg

I can't draw.... :tongue:

Me neither, I did try to draw some stuff like machines and animals few years ago, even got a tablet but failed... I can express myself so much better with bricks.

For my first model, I printed the blueprints onto graph paper, though the measurements were incorrect.

10679158893_70cc26120f_c.jpgFound this by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I personally find that using Sariel's scaler for large dimensions, and I use GIMP for fabricating and scaling some components. LIke how I combined separate components for this Matilda II Black Prince.

15461529687_358c65de17_z.jpgMatilda A27 Black Prince 1/15 blueprints by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr