Sign in to follow this  
Zarkan

PHOTO REVIEW: 7090 Crossbow Attack

indexed.gif

Well, now that I have some money, a trip to ToysRUs was obviously in my future, especially since my local TRU has much of the summer 2007 lineup. When I got there, almost all the smaller Castle sets had been sold out, but there was one left: the one I am now reviewing for both Eurobricks and BZPower. ;-)

The Box:

Well, for starters, the Castle theme boxes are beautiful! The blended clear and stormy skies give a great �clash of the titans� effect, and the action poses help as well. ;-)

hpim0601.jpg

The back is equally nice, featuring a photo showing kids how to use the crossbow, and the brave axe wielder taking a swipe at the skeleton (foolish soldier, that won�t work on skellies! See later on in the review to find out why). And of course, we have a small box with the link to the official Lego website, where TLC can advertise even more Lego sets! :P

hpim0602.jpg

The Contents:

After opening the box, a single bag of pieces (with a couple loose ones), the instruction manual and necessary catalog ( :-P ), and a new wider rubber band holder spilt out.

hpim0603.jpg

The instruction manual is clear as a bell. No color trouble here, folks! Also, it�s worth mentioning the nice background with the mountain and King�s castle silhouettes. :-) Sorry that there's no picture, but I'll take one if someone wants to see it. ;-)

The Pieces:

For being a 5 dollar set (well, seven in my case. Darn your above average prices, TRU!), Crossbow Attack features a lot of nice pieces (as does the entire Castle lineup).

Notable elements include two large brown spoked wheels, two brown modified 1x1�s, a pearl gold slope end, and SIX dark blue modified 1x1x2/3 slopes!

hpim0605.jpg

The bulk of the pieces, however, are nothing special. I�ll let the picture do the talking for this.

hpim0606.jpg

The accessories are by far the best parts in this kit. Two different helmets in a beautiful shiny silver are my favorite, but I also really like the scythe (looks good for MOCing) and the round shield ( *wub* ), which are both brand new parts. And can anyone not love the classic axe and crossbows? Oh, and there�s a black lightsaber too, but that�s rather boring compared to the other parts. :-P

hpim0604.jpg

The Minifigures:

Can you say, FOUR figures (including the horse)?! That has to be a record for a regular 5 dollar set, at least in the present age of limited figures per set.

We�ll start out with the two Crown militia: a regular soldier and an archer. Both have old faces, but they look spiffy with the shiny helmets and the superb torsos. I�ll name the soldier Bravo the Stout and the archer Angler the Precise, for future references.

hpim0608.jpg

Now we come to the skellie. Although some people dislike the new skeleton design, I personally prefer it to the old ones, since the arms are now poseable and the face much meaner. The only problem is that the arms hang too low, but it�s not too noticeable when they have weapons in their hands.

hpim0609.jpg

And last, but not least, here�s the elusive skeleton horse. I for one am very happy that TLC took advantage of that awesome prototype piece and made it into an official mass-production mold. However, the horse is unfortunately one piece, but since regular Lego horses are as well, I don�t have a problem with it. I do have a problem with the pose, however. The legs are in quite an odd position, and I wonder why TLC didn�t make the front and back leg poses symmetrical. Ah well.

hpim0610.jpg

The Finished Set:

I have only two pictures here, since this set is so small. First, here�s the completed crossbow. I must say: FINALLY! No more ridiculous horse mounted catapults or crazy fire wheel launchers! Now we have realistic siege weapons, including the one included with 7090. Plus, it actually launches okay, although not the best.

hpim0621.jpg

Here�s the other main attraction: the completed skeleton rider and horse. I think it�s rather dramatic with that pose and the dark background, don�t you think? ;-)

hpim0622.jpg

Playability:

Okay, so there�s not much in this set, but a bit of imagination brings plenty of possibilities. To show you what you can do, here�s a little story made only with this set. ;-)

story_start.jpg

hpim0611.jpg

hpim0612.jpg

hpim0613.jpg

hpim0614.jpg

hpim0615.jpg

hpim0616.jpg

hpim0617.jpg

hpim0618.jpg

hpim0619.jpg

hpim0620.jpg

Overall Rating:

Presentation: 9/10

Pieces: 8/10

Minifigures: 9/10

Finished model: 8/10

Playability: 8/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Score: 8.4/10

Crossbow Attack is a fine introduction into Castle, so I recommend it to any Lego fan, whether they are a castle nut or just want a cheap change of pace. TLC has a knack with making great small kits these days, and I more than ever support them in their amazing rebound from their dark ages (between 1997 and 2004). ;-)

Edited by KimT

Thanks for this review, and that great little comic!

About the skellies though (X-D), you have to admit that besides their long arms making the skellie legs look out of proportion, that they're just made poorly. They're sticking straight out, as opposed to every other fig, which have a slight bend to make them look more natural. Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, the pegs are on angles! That makes it impossible for them to hold their weapons straight, and they can't even put their arms over their heads without stressing the plastic some...

I mean they're DEAD. Well, at least undead, they're not supposed to be stiff, and personally I like the ragdoll look more, it makes them seem more dead :-P

A very nice review with good pictures, thanks Grevious. *y*

And undead ragdolls on! :-P

WOW! That was both an entertaining time, and a learning experience! It was entertaining because the comic made me laugh! It was a learning experience because, well, I dunno. Just wanted to say it. Anyways, great review, Grievous!

Edited by trooperdavinfelth

Very nice little review. Tis too bad I'm skint and can't afford any sets at the moment. Loved the little story too!

Also, on your comment about the skellie horses. All Lego horses are posed like that because it's the way horses walk. Check it next time you can.

Thanks for the review. That set is high up on my list; how could it not be with a price like that! (I love the added story.)

Excellent photographs! and I like the comic too.

I don't care what anyone says, I love the new skeletons. *skull*

Nice review, and great little story. :-D *y* Look at the normal horses, their legs are positioned like that too. Only the skellie horse's legs are touching, so as to strengthen the middle, otherwise it could easily snap in half. Also, I think the new skeletons are nice, their head is awesome, I just don't see why TLC couldn't make the bent droid arms with the hand facing vertically, instead of making a new arm design completely straight.

Nice review and a great story also grevious, this is a great set and a nice little army builder one at that.

The only thing that saddens me about the line itself is the new arms on the skelies, they just look far to big when placed next to a normal fig. For me the old versions of the skelies were far better, why tlc changed to this is beyond me.

Still i shall be buying alot of these sets just to increase my army.

Tks a lot Grevious for this !! Regarding the set I just love it !!

I really oved your comic, it was really well done and hilarious X-D

EB Spirit ON !!

Still i shall be buying alot of these sets just to increase my army.

You don't say mate, I bought like 10 or so so far X-D

Medieval *yoda*

EB Spirit ON !!

You don't say mate, I bought like 10 or so so far X-D

Medieval *yoda*

Well that really dosent surprise me at all mate, i know you just cant control your lego fever X-D ;-)

Thanks for all the comments, guys, and thank you, JoeM16 and iamded for pointing out the reason for the skeleton horse leg positioning. ;-)

Well, I'll be gone on vacation until the 16, but I may pick up a set or two while down in Tenessee, so if I do, expect a review and another story when I get back! ;-)

This is the only one of the new castle sets I've been able to get hold of so far. I know others have done it before, but as soon as I'd got it, there was something I just had to try:

730719098_7467cbd7b7.jpg

Heh, cool! *skull*

Great review *y*

Small set with great figs and pieces=must buy

The story was hilarious :-)

Any chance you are going to review another set?

I'm still waiting for a certain member *cough*Hinckley*cough* to review skeleton tower :-D

Piranha

For being a 5 dollar set (well, seven in my case. Darn your above average prices, TRU!)

None of the castle sets have leaked into my area. I'd gladly pay seven dollars for this set. Consider yourself lucky.

An excellent little review! A must get!

Angler the Precise...

An accurate fisherman! :-D Excellent story!

Edited by Mr. Mandalorian

I've searched high and low accross England to find this...and it's nowhere! I'm too stingy to buy off S@H and so I'll wait my turn. OK, now ot the set: Let's say I buy 3, for

I've searched high and low accross England to find this...and it's nowhere! I'm too stingy to buy off S@H and so I'll wait my turn. OK, now ot the set: Let's say I buy 3, for

It seems the Catapult Defence has been taken off S@H for NZ, so I assume it's out of stock for us. It's been off for a while. You guys might want to check your countries too.

~Peace

It seems the Catapult Defence has been taken off S@H for NZ, so I assume it's out of stock for us. It's been off for a while. You guys might want to check your countries too.

~Peace

_________

Catapult defense is still on for me, but the Final Joust has disappeared. All the sets are still in my stores though, so no worry! *sweet*

Batbrick-is-much-cooler-than-iamded Away! >:-)