Sign in to follow this  
Sir Gareth

MEC Category A: 79020 A Shortcut to Mushrooms

My last entry for MEC.

79020 A Shortcut to Mushrooms, Ages 8-14. 93 pieces.

Hide the One Ring away from the evil Ringwraith!

US $14.99

Recreate the iconic scene from The Fellowship of the Ring. While Sam is busy picking mushrooms, Frodo senses grave danger coming. The hobbits get off the road and hide underneath the tree roots. A shadowy figure rides up on an undead horse, and it is none other than one of the nine Ringwraiths, a servant of Sauron! Frodo and Sam must think of a way to escape without getting caught.

- Includes 3 minifigures: Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee and Ringwraith

- Also includes horse and spider

- Accessories include the Ring, backpack and sword

- Features catapult to launch the backpack

- Pick mushrooms, a Hobbit's favorite food

- Stop Frodo from using the Ring!

- Distract the Ringwraith by throwing the backpack

15683115481_9f02dcab4d.jpg

15500231700_57638b9e7e.jpg

15686984182_134ee177d4.jpg

15683117481_cb1b799698.jpg

15065744533_a8a402db92.jpg

15499184489_8aba9c469f.jpg

Comments and criticism are most welcome and much appreciated! I have less than a day left to make any changes.

Edited by Sir Gareth

I like the catapult feature even though I don't in most sets. It fits here and was clever.

Thank you, Regenerate builder! I'm happy you like it.

Nice one! Very nice and recognizable!

Thanks, Alfadas!

Looks like it could be an actual set, the catapult for the mushroom bag was a smart idea :)

Thanks! :) I'm glad everyone likes the catapult. Originally, I built it as a joke, but then I realized how well it actually works with the scene.

Edited by Sir Gareth

I would love to see a set like this! Nice work building this super iconic scene! The ringwraiths only being sold with the Weathertop set was such a sad move on LEGO's part.

I would love to see a set like this! Nice work building this super iconic scene! The ringwraiths only being sold with the Weathertop set was such a sad move on LEGO's part.

Thank you, Uspez! That really was a bad decision on their part. I understand having Boromir in only one set, because there's only one Boromir. But, come on, there's nine Ringwraiths and you chose to only include them in one set. Really guys? Though, I am thankful we even got them at all.

Great idea, fine execution.

Definitely one of the scenes of the film that is missing as a set.

Thanks, Captain Braunsfeld! LEGO really should have made this scene. It would have been so good for collecting all nine Ringwraiths.

Edited by Sir Gareth

Nice build, Sir Gareth!

This looks like it could be an official set, which would have been a nice option to get the 9 Nazgul (like you mentioned in the description). I also think the catapult is very fitting here.

The one thing I notice that would make this look better is if there was ground under the road for the hobbits to stand on. It looks a little bit plain with just an empty hole underneath, and makes it seem a bit like a bridge over a stream to me.

Brick on, Sir Gareth!

This MOC may be small but it's packed with details. If it was actually released, a set like this would have given fans another chance to get Sam and a Ringwraith. Also, was the scene in the film called "A Shortcut to Mushrooms" or did you name it that as a little nod to the book?

Nice build, Sir Gareth!

This looks like it could be an official set, which would have been a nice option to get the 9 Nazgul (like you mentioned in the description). I also think the catapult is very fitting here.

The one thing I notice that would make this look better is if there was ground under the road for the hobbits to stand on. It looks a little bit plain with just an empty hole underneath, and makes it seem a bit like a bridge over a stream to me.

Brick on, Sir Gareth!

Thank you, Slegengr! There's no ground under the road for two reasons. 1) I actually found it easier to fit the Hobbits underneath without a plate. 2) I didn't have the optimal plate on hand.

This MOC may be small but it's packed with details. If it was actually released, a set like this would have given fans another chance to get Sam and a Ringwraith. Also, was the scene in the film called "A Shortcut to Mushrooms" or did you name it that as a little nod to the book?

Thanks, montyofmusic! The scene in the film is called "A Shortcut to Mushrooms."

Nice details! A very believable set design. :wink:

Thanks, Jakorin! :classic:

Edited by Sir Gareth