Rail Co

Where to get NEW rubber tires for 60's through 80's trains?

Hey Guys so I recently got a hold of the 1985 classic, 7722 Cargo train. The tires are very worn out and I am in a huge need of new ones.

These are the ones I have right now: 15686208842_ff840cc540_n.jpgBottom is stretched. Right is in OK condition and the one on the left broke when I dropped it right before taking this. *Sigh* I need new tires by Railco1, on Flickr

The one that broke actully broke right before taking that photo by accidentally dropping it...

If someone knows where I can buy new (and I mean new) tires even if they are not by LEGO themselves it would be much appreciated. I looked at Bricklink but they seem to be all used.

Thanks so much guys!

-Rail Co

Agreed with v6TransAM - You can find "new" vintage tires, but the condition would still be questionable. You can fabricate them yourself, but finding the right material and taking the time to do so is a pain, so best to just buy from someone who's already done the legwork. Here's one such product up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lego-30x-12v-Replacement-Rubber-Rims-fit-for-1980s-Lego-Trains-12v-4-5v-motor-/131267455236?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item1e90266904

Those appear to be just a touch thicker than the originals, but should work just fine, and the price and effort seems about right. :)

The only way to be sure you're getting the original tires is by buying the service pack 5067. I've run across them before, and even the tires in opened ones are in good condition (not dried out). Buying selfmade ones from ebay is obviously much cheaper than buying the original ones, but only after a short while they will both start cracking, so I'd advise to try making some yourself (especially if you have a large collection of 12v trains), as it can get quite expensive.

Surprised that original ones wouldn't be somewhat dried out. I guess if they're sealed well enough... Perhaps oiling them would help keep them pliable? But that could get messy.

Certainly, if you have the time and effort to put into it, finding something similar with a silicone based material (like the new "rubber" bands in Technic sets over the past several years) would definitely yield better results over time. If you do find something better, please make sure you share! :sweet:

Agreed with v6TransAM - You can find "new" vintage tires, but the condition would still be questionable. You can fabricate them yourself, but finding the right material and taking the time to do so is a pain, so best to just buy from someone who's already done the legwork. Here's one such product up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e90266904

Those appear to be just a touch thicker than the originals, but should work just fine, and the price and effort seems about right. :)

I bought these two years ago - highly recommended.

I've used cut up bicycle inner tube for years and found it perfect. It's dirt cheap and one inner tube will make hundreds of tyres.

Agree with this, just buy the tube for thin racing bike tyres (18-25mm width) and the fit is very good. Downside is only available in black!

the 23mm bike inner tube is fantastic. they last for ages and are so quick and easy to cut new ones. I have my 5 y.o. trained to cut them now as needed. 

For my 12V trains,  I'm using "Helavia A5" in grey color.
Which look the same as original LEGO.

I don't know how to explain what is it in English, you can have an idea on this website:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-sleeves/1702915/?sra=pmpn

I buy the same but in grey which match the original LEGO light grey rubber
The product code form the manufacturer (SES) is "0201 0007 013"

The original rubber is ~5mm large , so with 35mm sleeve, you can make 6-7 train rubber

If we look the price that I found online in RS-Online website, 1 train rubber  will cost
~ 0.033 EUR (for 6 rubbers by sleeve)

The hard part, is for cutting the rubber.
Using scissor or cutter is not a good idea, the rubber will not be cut regularly.

For cutting it, I used a Metal lathe with a precision knife.

It's difficult to explain, if someone want, I can do a video next time I'm doing it.

I want to give a reminder that there are sealed service packs still available, which will make sure you get parts in new condition. The packs 5067 and 1137 contains rims, but they're expensive nowadays, so not really an option. But they still exist, so keep your eyes open in case someone sells them for a reasonable price.