Icarium

8 tooth gears slip off axle in 8043

I tried assembling an 8043 (that I got from ebay) last night and I find the instructions on page 36 of the first manual somewhat puzzling.

You can find it at brickinstructions.

It seems the tiny 8 teeth gear just goes on the end of the three long axle and there is nothing to secure it further.

Now I have some light gray 8 tooth gears where this works reasonably well but the darker gray one just falls off.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Icarium

Greetings!

You are quite right, the gear can slip out rather easily. Looking at the LDD model there doesnt seem to be a way to use an axle with stop either... Maybe try a different 8 tooth gear/axle, you may have a bad match?

Hi Zblj!

Well, I already tried a few different ones. I assume with your experience the suggestion means there actually are pairs that are tight enough, right? I had just given up searching after a few failed attempts.

Hi Zblj!

Well, I already tried a few different ones. I assume with your experience the suggestion means there actually are pairs that are tight enough, right? I had just given up searching after a few failed attempts.

My experinces are that the older gears had much higher friction ratio than the new ones. In worst case scenario wedge a piece of paper between axle and the gear...

Hi Zblj!

I had the same problem so I just used one of the newer ones from 42009. It worked pretty well and doesn't fall off

you could also use a 3L axle with a stop,.

Hm..don't think I have one of these.

Is bricklink the proper way to try and source one?

I had the same problem so I just used one of the newer ones from 42009. It worked pretty well and doesn't fall off

A new gear or a new axle?

I actually have 1 or 2 gray 8 tooth that slip off axles just like the unique red 8 tooth from the 42009. I'm mighty proud of them because they are rare...but in the wrong context, they are way wrong for their purpouse..

A new gear. By the way I don't think you can use a 3 long axle with a stop as it hits the base (under the turntable)

A new gear. By the way I don't think you can use a 3 long axle with a stop as it hits the base (under the turntable)

Okay, thanks!

Meanwhile I also found this post which suggests other modifications to improve the moc. Maybe I will try those out as well.

I think I had a very similar problem - the gears would slip out if I tried to turn the model (1 track going forward, while other backward). To be honest I never found a solution for that, after 3rd reassembly where I improved the model according to a description here somewhere (for the gearbox mechanism a grey pin can be used instead of a blue one) it sort of improved, but those black gears still slip off from time to time :/