Legoaholic

Exclusive access store event

don't forget that invite that is shown is for a UK store, not a USA store...there seem to be 2 events as well, the Nov calendar shows a VIP event on the 22nd, then there is the regular black Friday event held in the US

The explanation that Shay gave was almost the exact same one that I got last year on how to get invited. Our local store though, you had to have spent around $6000 to get an invite and I got lucky as the store manager gave me hers. The event was, as stated, meh...got the same stuff I would have gotten later in the day.

I have no idea what the event on the 22nd is though, calendar just says: "VIPs visit the LEGO store for special holiday offers!"

Yes, in the US, this is a pre-Black Friday sale. It's whatever offers there will be on BF, just without the insane crowds. So you get the free second holiday set w/ purchase (or sometimes even w/o purchase), a discount surprise at checkout (a scratchoff type card that gives 5-50% off randomly), etc. Plus sometimes a goody bag with freebies (I've gotten posters, Chima swords, etc).

My store (and I suspect any of them) will have a mix of parents w/ kids buying presents and AFOLs getting seriously stocked up. At my store they've often had the VIPs just each make a pile on the floor somewhere while they shop since people are buying way too much to carry around (seen people getting 5 modulars, 5 of train sets, multiple big technic sets etc. Basically all the big stuff that's never on sale).

oh yeah, the fine print on the US card says limit of $5000 before discounts, limit 5 per set, and personal use only

(snip…) At my store they've often had the VIPs just each make a pile on the floor somewhere while they shop since people are buying way too much to carry around (seen people getting 5 modulars, 5 of train sets, multiple big technic sets etc. Basically all the big stuff that's never on sale).

oh yeah, the fine print on the US card says limit of $5000 before discounts, limit 5 per set, and personal use only

This sounds similar to my experience.

Two years ago, however, my store _really_ took the "VIP" theme to heart and literally rolled out a red carpet (well, actually it was more of a long door mat). There was more staff on hand than are usually there when the store is actually open and a refreshment table had been set up just outside the store to keep us entertained while we waited for the event to officially begin. when they opened the doors, I was invited in and assigned a "concierge". He asked if I had anything in particular in mind. The night before, I'd made up a list for myself of things I knew I wanted to pick up, so I just handed him the list and he went into the back room and loaded everything on my list onto a flatbed cart. Then we just wandered through the store with him pointing out things that weren't on my list but, based on what was, he thought I'd be interested in.

He hung out and chatted while I filled a (free) PaB box and when I was done, he met me at the loading dock with all my stuff and helped me load my car. I don't know if everyone at the event got the personal shopper treatment or something they improvised when it became clear I was outspending half the people there, but it certainly made _me_ feel special.

THAT'S how you do a VIP event right. It was easily the best shopping experience I'd ever had a mall. Free stuff, discounts, refreshments, personal shoppers and sherpa service; what's not to love about that? It was such a pleasant experience I (almost) failed to notice how much money I was spending (fortunately I have a VUSAFOL (Very Understanding Spouse of an Adult Fan Of Lego)).

Last year, in sharp contrast, was a bit disappointing. As someone pointed out, it was really little more than a Black Friday sale without the mob scene. The discounts weren't as deep; the freebies were smaller; there were no refreshments (and no personal assistants to bring them to you while you shopped) and some of the junior staff seemed more than a little disgruntled that they had to come in an hour earlier for a bunch of old geezers who still played with toys. AFOLs just piled their intended purchases in less trafficked areas while a few stray kids ran wild through the store and parental units questioned how much more Lego a ten year old really needs...

I'm hoping this year's event will be more like the former than the latter, though the latter seems far more likely. I'm not expecting a personal shopper and doughnuts (but I wouldn't object to being pleasantly surprised).

ah yes, forgot the free PaB box. at mine they've always just given us one of the holiday freebie PaB boxes to fill free that day.

Yes, in the US, this is a pre-Black Friday sale. It's whatever offers there will be on BF, just without the insane crowds. So you get the free second holiday set w/ purchase (or sometimes even w/o purchase), a discount surprise at checkout (a scratchoff type card that gives 5-50% off randomly), etc. Plus sometimes a goody bag with freebies (I've gotten posters, Chima swords, etc).

My store (and I suspect any of them) will have a mix of parents w/ kids buying presents and AFOLs getting seriously stocked up. At my store they've often had the VIPs just each make a pile on the floor somewhere while they shop since people are buying way too much to carry around (seen people getting 5 modulars, 5 of train sets, multiple big technic sets etc. Basically all the big stuff that's never on sale).

OK now I am confused, I did not get an invite for the 22nd but the calendar says for all VIPs to come in so it seems open to all, I did get to go to the Black Friday last year and was disappointed...but how would the 22nd be the exact same thing they will do a week later? Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

My card says 9 to 10 am, which means the store is opening an hour early for those who received 'the card'. I spoke with a store manager and they are keeping close track of rsvps to make sure they have an accurate head count for the special event. At least at the store where I go, it's not open to all. Invitation only.

I skipped it last year, but will probably attend this year despite my loathing of the mall culture.....

but is that the 22nd one or 29th? are there 2? maybe I am all mixed up...are they doing 2 of them? Seems really dumb to print it on the calendar for all VIP's if just an invite to the high rollers. I would love to be a high roller, but confined on income somewhat, and storage.

but is that the 22nd one or 29th? are there 2? maybe I am all mixed up...are they doing 2 of them? Seems really dumb to print it on the calendar for all VIP's if just an invite to the high rollers. I would love to be a high roller, but confined on income somewhat, and storage.

If it follows the pattern of previous years, the 29th is the big, general public Black Friday sales event. The 22nd is the invite-only preview sale (outside of normal shop hours). Why they'd advertise the invite-only event on the main calendar is beyond me because (at least at my store) the invite list is, at best, a couple dozen people. Perhaps there's something else going on during normal business hours for "people with VIP cards" in addition to the morning's event for "VIPs with a history of having more dollars than sense", uh, I mean, "extra special devoted AFOLs". I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Mine invite is for the 22nd. The one on the 22nd appears to be the only one that involves an invitation and an early opening. The idea is for invitees to get stuff a week early and some discounts, gifts (which, I guess, is stating the obvious).

Anything after the 22nd will probably be the usual Christmas shopping zoo with screaming kids, frustrated parents, etc.....

Since the new modular and new Star Wars set won't be available, I'll struggle to find a lot that I want.

Edited by Off the wall

ok, thanks, I think that is where I went haywire, if I recall correctly, the one last year was on that Black Friday, not the week before, so if you are an invitee and have to work, you are screwed that day or have to take it off, while most folks are off on black Friday. Doesn't much matter to me since I do not have the invite, but it's interesting they have it on the calendar.

Clears it up at least, what would stink is that black Friday was 3X points last year and if you got the invite and go the 22nd, then you would miss out on the points. I am good with not having the invite personally.

oh and OTW, maybe they will have a special accessory pack, 1000 small items that could or could not fit into a modular that you may or may not need, but will cost a lot for no reason to help you with the interior of you special GE

oh and OTW, maybe they will have a special accessory pack, 1000 small items that could or could not fit into a modular that you may or may not need, but will cost a lot for no reason to help you with the interior of you special GE

Okay, so you've just started another rumor.

:-)

Clears it up at least, what would stink is that black Friday was 3X points last year and if you got the invite and go the 22nd, then you would miss out on the points. I am good with not having the invite personally.

The 3x points also applied to the vip event last year. If I recall correctly, the system wasn't showing it on the receipt so we had to take their word for it at the time but we were ultimately credited with the points.

I'm off to the Liverpool store for this years 'event' on the 22nd.

There wasn't a huge amount of discounts last year and I walked away with the Haunted House... Along with the various promo and freebie items.

Not sure what to expect in reductions for large sets this year as I've already picked up the Tumbler, Sandcrawler and Ewok Village. Looking forward to seeing Slave 1 though.

I personally think if you spend that much in a year, there should be some kind of exclusive set that you are given. $30-$50 range, heck you have to spend $5K to get an invite, a 1% of the cost set wouldn't be too much to ask. They could do a 40000XX set for you. If you choose to resell it, then fine, but I think the high rollers should get a special treatment, seems very anticlimactic if you just get the same treatment this year as last, especially if you already bought all the big stuff, there is nothing really left for you to get unless you are going the Christmas/Hanukkah present route.

Okay, so you've just started another rumor.

:-)

I like this rumor! Could I sign up for one of those interior decorating sets, too? ( I just furnished 20 Duplo apartments and have oodles left over, but my System/regular LEGO furniture store is a bit low with only 15 keyboards/pianos and about that many sofas.) Time to restock the furniture store so none of my modular floors are ....... empty. I used to buy the lovely furniture pre made by LEGO, but that seems to be no longer available online at lego.com.

Have you noticed how much furniture an oversized modular requires?

I like this rumor! Could I sign up for one of those interior decorating sets, too? ( I just furnished 20 Duplo apartments and have oodles left over, but my System/regular LEGO furniture store is a bit low with only 15 keyboards/pianos and about that many sofas.) Time to restock the furniture store so none of my modular floors are ....... empty. I used to buy the lovely furniture pre made by LEGO, but that seems to be no longer available online at lego.com.

Have you noticed how much furniture an oversized modular requires?

I'm just the general contractor on my MOCs. I leave the interior to the buyer/tenant. :-)

I got an invitation in yesterday's post. Its for the closest store to me, though I have been to 2 of the 3 stores within driving distance of here. It is the first time for me, so want to go and see what its got to offer.

I too really don't have much I want to get though, and so its going to be mostly Christmas shopping, and maybe some duplicates I could use. I better start doing some research....LOL

If they do have a PAB gift...I wish it was for the other store I have been to, the one for the invite has a pretty sad PAB wall...for me at least..

I just read something about the invitations; there is a number printed above your name on the envelope the invitation came in, and that is your place on the invitee list. My number is 2.... I wonder how many total for that store.

Edited by talos

I got an invitation in yesterday's post. Its for the closest store to me, though I have been to 2 of the 3 stores within driving distance of here. It is the first time for me, so want to go and see what its got to offer.

I'm certainly among the first to embrace the concept of discounted LEGO and freebies, but beyond the shopping aspect, this can also be a social networking opportunity if you want it to become one. If nothing else, go a bit early and socialize with the other invitees while you wait for the store to open. If you're a member of a LUG it's a chance to recruit new AFOLs, if you're not, it's a lightweight way to meet other AFOLs in your area without having to break into an established clique.

I too really don't have much I want to get though, and so its going to be mostly Christmas shopping, and maybe some duplicates I could use. I better start doing some research....LOL

If they do have a PAB gift...I wish it was for the other store I have been to, the one for the invite has a pretty sad PAB wall...for me at least..

There's always the Creator line. Even if the models themselves have limited appeal, redundant copies of Creator sets and Modular buildings are usually reasonably priced sources of versatile bricks with a nice color palette. I got a couple town halls and a couple fire stations one year just to bulk up (no pun intended) my collection of "town MOC friendly" brick.

I just read something about the invitations; there is a number printed above your name on the envelope the invitation came in, and that is your place on the invitee list. My number is 2....

I can neither confirm or deny that, but based on the numbers I've had in the past and the conversations I've had with one particular store a manger, I find the theory plausible. I doubt it's just an alphabetic listing as my last name in well into the alphabet but my numbers have always been on the low side. I suppose my store could just be inviting a lot of people whose names begin with Z, but more likely there's some sort of ranking involved related to spending habits.

I wonder how many total for that store.

I'm told it varies by store as a function of physical size but is usually in the 2 to 3 dozen range (plus guests). There are actually 4 stores and a discovery center a reasonable distance from where I live and I remember the manager at my preferred store saying that they had one of the smallest footprints in the area but did the biggest sales volume. Unfortunately that meant that there were "avid" customers at her store that didn't get invites (because she just just didn't have room for them) who probably outspent invitees at other stores because the larger stores were allowed a bigger guest list and a lower cut-off threshold. I don't know how much of this is true (or outdated) information, but again, it seems plausible.

Hi guys, long time lurker of the Forums, first time poster. I was very tied to the Burlington MA Lego store for 3 years, and it's interesting to read comments about it.

Anyways, I cannot find any info about this event. I called the store and the associate wasnt very helpful.

I know VIP members at this event in the past could spend $100 and get the black friday set, but i was told there was no promtions for this VIP event other than the 75$ calendar. I was also told there was no discounts and no special sales sets, no PAB boxes, and no scratch cards, and no giveaways (like the bracelets in the past.) Has anyone had any luck with getting info from other stores? As it stands now, I have no real incentive to rsvp... Unfortunately Lego seems to be cutting back on a lot of the cool promos they used to do for customers :sceptic:

Also guys, I think the invites are based on the amount of money spent at the store divided by your distance in miles. For example, I live less than a mile form the mall, and spent less than 2k on Lego and got invited, but someone who lives further away but spends more might not?

Also, that european invite was interesting! The US one was so vague.

I RSVP'd to the Burlington store and will be going moreso to check it out. If nothing else, it might be a good chance to meet some non NELUG AFOLs.

I RSVP'd yesterday, all they wanted to know is if I was bringing the allowed one guest. I forgot to ask how many were invited.

It seems like there would be something on the 22nd for any VIP member since it is clearly on the November calendar. I find it hard to believe that is only about the one hour that the big spenders have access. There has to be something more to it than that. Maybe bonus VIP points or a discount could be involved. It would be nice if the second holiday set was available on that day, but the calendar also states that it is only the Black Friday Weekend when that happens . Hopefully someone will get inside information before Nov 22 so I can decide whether or not it is worth it to drive out there.