Legoaholic

Exclusive access store event

My DH received an invitation in the post to our local stores exclusive access event on the 22nd Nov. Apparently they open the store an hour early to those invited. Has anyone been to one of these. Is it worth going?

My DH received an invitation in the post to our local stores exclusive access event on the 22nd Nov. Apparently they open the store an hour early to those invited. Has anyone been to one of these. Is it worth going?

If you do a search, you can go back and find where last years event was discussed in detail. Since I'm lazy, I didn't do the search. But, the topic has been discussed. In much detail.

Edit.....went back and found it.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88578&hl=

Edited by Off the wall

Thank you Off the wall, had a good read. Think we will give it a go but with no great expectations of discounts. Following on from that thread i have no idea how they choose who to invite, as i've not only spent a fair amount more than him but i have made a lot more purchases. Maybe its because he has bought several very large Star Wars sets where i bought the modulars and a lot from the P a B wall in hopes of having plenty of bricks for when i have time to start doing mocs.

My wife hopes I never get an invite! In a way, so do I. Not saying I would not go, but I would worry why I got the invite as I am trying to moderate my LEGO and other spending. Not having much success, but...

Andy D

post-42073-0-88514100-1414706203_thumb.jpg

A first view of 2 brand new January 2015 LEGO Exclusives!

Detective Agency....?

Because I have two Lego stores in my area and I order bricks from the Lego site, I probably won't be getting one these again just like last year. If I just shopped at one of the two stores then maybe, but I think I'm spreading myself out too much, so to speak.

My wife hopes I never get an invite! In a way, so do I. Not saying I would not go, but I would worry why I got the invite as I am trying to moderate my LEGO and other spending. Not having much success, but...

Andy D

Yeah, I hear you! Trying to do the same here, too. I made my first trip this month to our LEGO store in Raleigh on Tuesday to see if they finally had a RI for me, and they did. Will save it for my granddaughter.

I had planned to buy this years' holiday set and get the freebie set, but alas, they had run out of the gift. So I decided I can do without the Christmas set. It took them so long to sell me a RI and that I missed the promo set. So it must be time for me to cut back on LEGO purchases and focus more on saving for what could be a rocky retirement finance-wise if health and dental care costs don't level off.

I think we have enough LEGO to last the rest of our lives, and it is time to play with what we have. It is a shame to have unopened sets sitting around for years unless they are duplicates that one intends to keep. Also when TLG decided to kill the holiday sale discount, it took away much of my desire to load up for the holidays. I doubt I am alone in this move toward spending less on toys.

Yeah, I hear you! Trying to do the same here, too. I made my first trip this month to our LEGO store in Raleigh on Tuesday to see if they finally had a RI for me, and they did. Will save it for my granddaughter.

I had planned to buy this years' holiday set and get the freebie set, but alas, they had run out of the gift. So I decided I can do without the Christmas set. It took them so long to sell me a RI and that I missed the promo set. So it must be time for me to cut back on LEGO purchases and focus more on saving for what could be a rocky retirement finance-wise if health and dental care costs don't level off.

I think we have enough LEGO to last the rest of our lives, and it is time to play with what we have. It is a shame to have unopened sets sitting around for years unless they are duplicates that one intends to keep. Also when TLG decided to kill the holiday sale discount, it took away much of my desire to load up for the holidays. I doubt I am alone in this move toward spending less on toys.

Well, don't count me in.. as long as i have money for spending on Lego, i will.. it gives me a certain amount of rest and relaxation in this world! I can go back to my childhood when building with Lego and can still feel the stove heating up my back when i was playing with Lego as a kid.. Nowadays i still gives my head some kind of peace... so, no, i won't cut down on Lego spendings.... I'm interested in the Detective Agency and will certainly buy two of them, so i can MOD them to one big agency....like i did with other modulars.. I'm just sorry that the DA is not available just before Christmas, so i can spent some nice winterevenings building the set.......

This is my first year of lego. So i'm sure my buying will slow down at some point. At the moment i am doing a lot of studying and find putting the models together a great relaxer as just following the instructions gives my brain a break between study periods. Long term i'd like to progress to doing some mocs (once all my exams are over). So i'm taking big advantage of living near a store with a PAB wall as we hope to move in a year or two. And i love the modulers although i missed the first three. I also love the challenge of seeing how much i can pack into a PAB cup, silly i know but its the small things in life. Hence i have bought rather a lot this year. :blush:

I justify it as eldest dd has just graduated from university and got a good job, so feel i can indulge for a short time. :classic:

Hey, if you change your mind about the promotional christmas item, just send me a message. We've exchanged emails, earlier in the year. You shouldn't miss out if you want it. I have some extras. You can have one if you want. Just send me a message. I ship UPS.

Thanks for the kind offer! PM-ed already.

OTW's post reminds me an interesting point...this forum is built on the sharing of ideas, builds and trading. It is wonderful how folks try to help others by sharing.

EB members do a wonderful job of helping each other. Thanks!

(snip) i have no idea how they choose who to invite (snip)

I asked the manager of my preferred store that very question after the first time I got invited. At that time, I was told that the store got two lists, one for top spenders at that location and one for frequency of purchases in each case they had a profile for how many sets a person on the list had purchased in the past year and how many copies of a given set they had purchased.

She said that the exact number of invitees varied by store (fire code regulation) but that it was her job to make up the final list (which could include names not on either list if she felt there was a good reason to invite someone (like the head of the local LUG or something). The goal of the human in the loop was to reward the true AFOL big spenders while weeding out the set speculators who are going to buy five copies of a pricey set at a discount, stick them in a closet for a few years and sell them on ebay for some jacked up price a year or two after they set is discontinued. She and the staff already had a good sense as to who the people on the lists were and what they tended to buy so (she claimed) it usually wasn't hard to fill all the slots and they usually had a back-up list if people RSVP'ed in the negative.

That said, two years ago I had a great time and spent way too much money at the event. Last year, the event was kinda "meh". I don't know if I'll get invited this year or not because a Discovery Center opened two miles from my house and I live within reasonable driving distance to four Lego Stores. I've been spreading my purchases around so I don't know if I'll make any given store's top spender list.

Maybe buying the PAB cups and creator/ modular sets means they don't make as much profit out of me per brick as from my husband who has bought a couple of big Star Wars sets. Or maybe they think i visit too often as it is. :classic:

i've bought one or two duplicates i think but they were only mixels because they had good parts (and probably to get total spend to qualify for a free gift) and i got two of the research institutes i think, one for my daughter and one for me. But sadly no duplicate big sets though i would have loved a second GE as the parts would be really useful for building a moc when life is less busy.

My mail was on hold while I was out of town. It was delivered today. Buried within the large stack of catalogues (from which I will probably not order anything) was my invite from Lego. My store is North Pointe Mall in Alpharetta, GA. They are a first rate group. Think I'll do my rsvp in person and buy something that I really don't need. Maybe the Ewok Village. Because, after all, 'it takes a village'.

I've been spreading my Lego budget over several stores this year so I didn't expect to get an invite this year but I came home from work today and there was my golden ticket waiting in my mailbox. Looks like I'm going to have to make more space for Lego...

I've been spreading my Lego budget over several stores this year so I didn't expect to get an invite this year but I came home from work today and there was my golden ticket waiting in my mailbox. Looks like I'm going to have to make more space for Lego...

Which store? Mines for Burlington.

got mine today - unlike the one pictured above, there's no mention of first look at new sets. Just a shopping event.

I've gotten invites to all but one of these - the first year they did it the invites were numbered and I had invite #1 for my store. I did spend a TON that year. Looking forward to it this year. Have spent quite a bit there - Tumbler, ewok village, modulars, simpsons, etc.

Which store? Mines for Burlington.

Burlington, Massachusetts? Same here.

And yet again the event falls on the same day as the Greenburg Train and Toy show at the Shriners auditorium where NELUG does a big Lego Train set-up each year. Looks like I'll be going _to_ the show with a car-load of toys rather than the other way 'round.