Part 11: Mysterious Death

Part 12: Dark Meetings

Part 13: Warm Yourself

Part 14.1: Sisterly Visit

Part 14.2: Proud Farmer

Part 14.3: Mitgardian Household

Part 15: Another Mysterious Death

Part 16.1: The Council Meeting

Part 16.2: Meeting with Wyndor (made by Glorfindel)

Part 16.3: Feud in Teridyan

Part 16.4: Great Elk Longhouse (made by Glorfindel)

Part 16.5: Traveling Partners

Part 16.6: Mitgardian Throne Room (made by Glorfindel)

Part 17: The Cemetery

Part 18: Home

Part 19: Crowded Market Mayhem

Part 20: Shooting Straight

15477731190_fe7a8cc073_z.jpg

It had been a long trip from the capitol to Dalig Ulv, but Wyndor was finally coming home. He was just entering the city limits when he heard the sound of swords clashing coming from across the river. He rushed over the bridge towards the lumber mill run by one of the local dwarves. What he came upon was not the sound of battle but two men training with Liam.

15477148548_78bd0d986c_z_d.jpg

“You couldn’t hit a cow with a swing like that!” he was shouting that the two men crossing blades.

Wyndor stopped running and grinned to himself. He knew what it was like to be on the receiving end of Liam’s training. He also knew there was no better weapon’s trainer in Mitgardia. “Ho there, Liam!” he called out.

“Ah, Wyndor, you’re back. It’s about time too. We need someone more skilled with a sword around to help protect us from attack” he replied.

“Have there been problems still?” Wyndor asked. “Is Valanice okay?”

15664119572_cb99de3eed_z_d.jpg

“Ah, everyone is okay, Valanice included. It was a close one though, which is why I’m here training with these nincompoops!” answered Liam. “But I’ll let Pjeter fill you in on the details. Come, tell me how you are my friend.”

“I am well and have many stories to share, but first and foremost I need to get to my home to see my wife” said Wyndor. “But before I go, I have a gift for you from my travels.”

Wyndor pulls out a set of shoulder pads and hands them to Liam. “I was given these by a fellow cyclops I helped on my travels. I thought it fitting that you should have them.”

15660610181_49bb85e8a4_z_d.jpg

“Thank you Wyndor. This is a mighty gift indeed” replied Liam as he took the shoulder pads. “I can see that they were made by a skilled cyclops craftsman. Our technique is recognizable to those who know what to look for, and these look like they were made by the master craftsman Oblique.”

“After all you’ve done for me, it is a small token of my gratitude” answered Wyndor. He turned to leave when a dwarf approached him.

“Good day Wyndor” the dwarf said.

“Hello Rothgar, how goes the machinery today?” answered Wyndor.

15477725870_bac247e8fa_z_d.jpg

“Ever temperamental. Machines and water do not work well together. But it is worth the effort to be able to harvest the power of the river” replied Rothgar, one of the council members. “But my work woes are not what I stopped you for. I have already told Pjeter and Lief this, but since you are on the council also I thought you should know that the dwarves of Dalig Ulv will be marching soon against one of our greatest enemies. There is an unseen enemy here in the city that has been feasting on the lives of my people. We are powerless to stop it. But, we received word from the dwarf elders that we have a chance to strike a blow against the drow that could cripple them forever. I will not give you more details for I do not wish for you to get in trouble with Valholl. Our actions may not be sanctioned by Sir Chorian. We cannot take the time to convince them that our actions are right, we must act.”

“I have known you for some time now Rothgar,” responded Wyndor. “I trust your judgment. If you say it is right for you to do this. Then I stand with you. I also pledge that by the time you return to Dalig Ulv, I will have stopped the terror that has been killing your people, or will have the answer to how to stop it. Farewell my friend, and may the ground be ever strong beneath your feet.”

15477722640_76d6059cfe_z_d.jpg

15639551646_7a5f5cb512_z.jpg

Here are some other pictures showing off the mill:

15476632879_9ff234af7f_z_d.jpg

15477122758_f3dc0ec4b0_m_d.jpg15663280295_9d46632dbf_m_d.jpg15043137183_ec4dc2a5c2_m_d.jpg15042526114_da7d249eda_m_d.jpg15477699110_7a7059c72d_m_d.jpg

Very nice, MKJ!

I like that rockwork. It is very interesting with the slopes and plates/tiles. The water wheel is nice, and I like the mechanism with the gears to make this sawmill. Great continuation of your story!

For some constructive criticism: I like the water effect, but the waterfall does not match the running water very well, IMO. Is there some way to incorporate similar techniques for both river and water fall, or is there some way to transition between the two more gradually (possibly incorporate a few round transparent plates on the vertical portion as well)? The banks of the river might look better with a few wedge plates to break up the perfectly straight edges.

I am glad to see other Mitgardians completing the AoM builds, and this is a great addition to Mitgardia.

Brick on, MKJ!

Nice work, particularly with the 'spokes' of the waterwheel, I like that technique! The roof is nice as well. The rockwork, however, looks a bit artificial; too many straight edges. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the sudden transition in water styles, but I do like the SNOT waterfall!

Nice build and story, MKJ, great job with the waterwheel spokes and saw mill :wink:

As mentioned above, the transition between the waterfall and river could be a bit smother (taking out the rock at the top would probably help a little), and the river-side would be improved by some wedge plates to brake up the straight lines. And, now that I'm nitpicking, the buckets on the wheel don't really make sense if the water is not falling into them (though they do look nice :grin: ). Cool build overall though, I like how you are incorporating the challenge into your story :thumbup:

Cool build and story Josh, as mentioned above I really like how you incorporate your characters' stories into your challenge builds. In any case, there's some neat details to appreciate here, especially that table saw. The waterwheel looks great but I think the buckets should be turned 180 degrees? I like the snotted rocks too but they look like they could use a tad more variety with some different slopes. Anyways, nice work!

The interiors, characters, story, and smaller details are great as always but I agree with the others that the rockwork and waterfall don't work as is. I'd be interested to see more experimentation with the techniques you're using here, though. I love it when GoH members try new stuff even if it doesn't quite work out!

Thank you all for the kind comments!

For some constructive criticism: I like the water effect, but the waterfall does not match the running water very well, IMO. Is there some way to incorporate similar techniques for both river and water fall, or is there some way to transition between the two more gradually (possibly incorporate a few round transparent plates on the vertical portion as well)? The banks of the river might look better with a few wedge plates to break up the perfectly straight edges.

The transition between snot water to studs is a tough one and certainly one I will try to re-visit another time. Thanks for your CC!

Nice work, particularly with the 'spokes' of the waterwheel, I like that technique! The roof is nice as well. The rockwork, however, looks a bit artificial; too many straight edges. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the sudden transition in water styles, but I do like the SNOT waterfall!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm actually surprised that you and others think the rockwork has too many straight edges. Do you have an example of a build that doesn't have this problem so I can see more what you mean?

Nice build and story, MKJ, great job with the waterwheel spokes and saw mill :wink:

As mentioned above, the transition between the waterfall and river could be a bit smother (taking out the rock at the top would probably help a little), and the river-side would be improved by some wedge plates to brake up the straight lines. And, now that I'm nitpicking, the buckets on the wheel don't really make sense if the water is not falling into them (though they do look nice :grin: ). Cool build overall though, I like how you are incorporating the challenge into your story :thumbup:

I debated about having the buckets under the waterfall, but thought that practically the mill would be a little further away from the hill so I decided to go with the water-must-be-running-fast-enough-after-having-come-off-the-waterfall-to-make-the-mill-turn idea. :grin:

Cool build and story Josh, as mentioned above I really like how you incorporate your characters' stories into your challenge builds. In any case, there's some neat details to appreciate here, especially that table saw. The waterwheel looks great but I think the buckets should be turned 180 degrees? I like the snotted rocks too but they look like they could use a tad more variety with some different slopes. Anyways, nice work!

As for the buckets, I think if you imagine the water flowing away from the waterfall that you'll find they are in the right position.

The interiors, characters, story, and smaller details are great as always but I agree with the others that the rockwork and waterfall don't work as is. I'd be interested to see more experimentation with the techniques you're using here, though. I love it when GoH members try new stuff even if it doesn't quite work out!

My motto is always to post something even if you don't think it's perfect. I know I build a lot more knowing that I don't have to have it all right this time. I just keep building and continue to improve my skills!

I debated about having the buckets under the waterfall, but thought that practically the mill would be a little further away from the hill so I decided to go with the water-must-be-running-fast-enough-after-having-come-off-the-waterfall-to-make-the-mill-turn idea. :grin:

Hmm, what I meant was that waterwheels do not usually have buckets unless they have water falling on them, not that there was any problem with the mill turning. If they are in a normal stream usually have segments in them to catch the water instead (see the MMV waterwheel, which uses flag pieces).

Thanks for your feedback. I'm actually surprised that you and others think the rockwork has too many straight edges. Do you have an example of a build that doesn't have this problem so I can see more what you mean?

Well, look at this rockwork, for example (LD's).

11344944574_b18082d369_n.jpg

That's a bit more curved than you'd want, of course. Basically, my rule of thumb for rockwork is no more than one stud without a slope (until you get to the top at least). Two studs is probably fine. But especially from that last angle, I'm seeing a lot of long straight lines. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but sloping it more would improve it.

Wow, nice build and story! The waterwheel is nice, with the sawing table and all, and i like the waterfall.

Nice job, the mill/saw looks great, nice parts usage there! I also like your soldiers uniforms, they look very Mitgardian.

Hmm, what I meant was that waterwheels do not usually have buckets unless they have water falling on them, not that there was any problem with the mill turning. If they are in a normal stream usually have segments in them to catch the water instead (see the MMV waterwheel, which uses flag pieces).

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for replying back!

Well, look at this rockwork, for example (LD's).

That's a bit more curved than you'd want, of course. Basically, my rule of thumb for rockwork is no more than one stud without a slope (until you get to the top at least). Two studs is probably fine. But especially from that last angle, I'm seeing a lot of long straight lines. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but sloping it more would improve it.

That makes sense. Thanks for the example. I'm still pretty new at snot rock work so I'll keep improving it!

Wow, nice build and story! The waterwheel is nice, with the sawing table and all, and i like the waterfall.

Nice job, the mill/saw looks great, nice parts usage there! I also like your soldiers uniforms, they look very Mitgardian.

Thanks guys!

Very cool sawmill, I like the water wheel and saw mechanism especially :thumbup: I think the waterfall would look better if it was made with trans blue or clear pieces, or if you switched the rest of the river to standard blue.

The hun warrior legs work nicely for the Mitgardian soldiers :classic:

Looks very good!! =) That saw mechanism is something I have to borrow in the future!

My nitpick would be the posings of the figs. They all stand with their legs togheter, even when they fight...