Dzoni90

MEC Category A: The Prancing Pony

This is my third and final entry for this great contest. I really enjoyed participating in it and i wish you all the best of luck in the competition. :sweet:

I represent you the city of Bree, i.e. the Prancing Pony inn and the city gates.

I made two little windows on the gate like ones in the movie. :wink: The set is constituted of five modular parts and seven minifigs: Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, the innkeeper, a suspicious guest and two guards. I tried to keep it simple, without illegal techniques.

I don't have Sam, so i had to improvise, and I don't have any Ringwraiths, so i couldn't include them in this MOC, although they would fit in nice. But this moc concretely focuses on the scenes before the arrival of Nazguls, so maybe it's better this way. :wink:

15041915613_92aedb9106_c.jpg

The Prancing Pony by Džoni90, on Flickr

15659368321_cbf34292c1_c.jpg

15475905068_5784740dca_c.jpg

15476079217_66c3761c6d_c.jpg

15041304784_d62466bff6_c.jpg

15638318156_53d4ef2090_c.jpg

More photos on my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/126640704@N05/with/15638318156

I know exactly what means do not have minifigures to fill the scene as we wish, but you did a very good job with the bricks you have. I liked it and liked the pictures too! Congrats!

Excellent build. I have long thought of doing either Bree or the Prancing Pony but I could not condense it in my head as well as you did in this build.

My only suggestion is to update your barkeep minifig. He stands out as being too plain and not looking like Barliman Butterbur. I have a few fleshie heads in my collection with sideburns. You might have some too.

I agree, beautiful MOC.It's highly reminiscent of the movie, and is also very much in the spirit of the 10193 medieval market village.

There aren't many Bree/Prancing Pony MOCs.

The most notable one I've seen yet is Leda Kat's.

Lovely MOC. Too bad the size couldn't be bigger (I understand that you can't go too wild with category A!), because the first floor looks a bit weird with one guy drinking in the corner :)

I assume you used the pirate of Umbar head as a reference to the carrot-munching Bree citizen, since both are played by Peter Jackson? If so, major props.

As someone else mentioned, Barliman doesn't look right. Even if you don't have a head with sideburns, it will probably look better without the beard. Also, both in the book and in the movie the Bree gate is guarded by a single old man, unarmored and probably unarmed as well :)

But the gates and the inn building look great, solid work.

Thank you both.

I agree that Barliman doesn't look like the one in the movie, and that he would look better without the beard, but I was in a hurry, and we all make mistakes :)

If by any chance this MOC became an official LEGO set, I guess the minifigs would surely look far better :wink:

There aren't many Bree/Prancing Pony MOCs.

The most notable one I've seen yet is Leda Kat's.

Hi everyone, this MOC looks realy nice. :classic:

I made some year ago a Prancing Pony too and published it first on a german LOTR forum, and I published it in 2014 on Cuusoo (aka lego.ideas).

Here is my gallery on flickr.

I found a another good version. It looks like my version.

Hi everyone, this MOC looks realy nice. :classic:

I made some year ago a Prancing Pony too and published it first on a german LOTR forum, and I published it in 2014 on Cuusoo (aka lego.ideas).

Here is my gallery on flickr.

I found a another good version. It looks like my version.

That last one is mine, thanks for referencing it :)

Yea I can see what you mean they do have similarities, we both seem to have taken the same design ques from the medieval market village set. My reference source for the outside design and look was this sculpture https://www.wetanz.com/the-prancing-pony/ since it's hard to make out much in the movie itself

Edited by Bugbot2008

Yes the medieval market village set and the WETA sculpture was my reference source too. :grin:

Great minds think alike! :wink:

I made the gate of Bree later for an update of my ideas project.