Sign in to follow this  
Blakstone

MEC Category B: Arwen's Fate

MEC Category B: Arwen's Fate

Elrond once predicted Arwen's Fate should she forsake Valinor in order to remain with Aragorn.

arwensfate1.jpg

"If Aragorn survives this war, you will still be parted.

If Sauron is defeated and Aragorn is made king and all that you hope for comes true,

you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality.

Whether by the sword or slow decay of time, Aragorn will die.

And there will be no comfort for you. No comfort to ease of his passing.

He will come to death an image of the slender of kings of men, in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.

But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darknesss and doubt as night following winter comes without a star.

Here you will dwell bound to your grief under the fading trees until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent.

Arwen, there is nothing for you here... only death."

And so it came to pass, Arwen remained and married Aragorn, now Elessar King of Gondor.

Eventually Aragorn finally succumbed to the slow decay of time. He was immortalized in the fashion of the kings of old.

Arwen mourned the death of her husband for many years...

arwensfate2.jpg

Though the fullness of an elf's life last much longer than grief. The sagas tell us of another scion of an elf lord who missed the last boat from the Gray Havens to the West. Legalos son of Thranduil fashioned his own ship to take both him and Gimli to the undying lands.

When her grief was finaly spent Arwen built her own vessel.

arwensfate3.jpg

Arwen built and painted the ship and soon joined her father, brothers, Bilbo, Frodo, Gimli, and the rest of her elven friends in the undying lands to the West.

arwensfate4.jpg

Nice MOC but Arwen being of Elrond's offspring was peredhil or half Elven. She chose mortality like Elros thousands of years at the beginning of the Second Age. Arwen never reached Valinor, she faded and died in a deserted Lothlorien, the realm of her grandmother Galadriel.

Nice! My only suggestion would be to extend the bier so the statue's head isn't hanging off the end.

Good point. I will retake those shots and better position the statue. The bier is actually the right size but I did not position the statue correctly after moving the builds outside.

Nice MOC but Arwen being of Elrond's offspring was peredhil or half Elven. She chose mortality like Elros thousands of years at the beginning of the Second Age. Arwen never reached Valinor, she faded and died in a deserted Lothlorien, the realm of her grandmother Galadriel.

I did not realize that Arwen was half elven, but the movies at least muddled her choosing mortality since Elrond would spend her very long life doing nothing but mourning her husband. This challenge let us rewrite the fate of the characters after the fell of Sauron.

So I figured it was silly to say that she would haunt the world in mourning. Gimli got to go to the undying lands because Legolas built a boat. I figured that Arwen could too.

The movie said that Arwen gave her place for Frodo but who gave their place for Bilbo or Gimli?

Good MOC, but not canon. Tolkien explicitly said that Arwen died as a mortal in the appendices.

Edited by SheepEater

Understood, Sheepeater. My inspiration for the build was Elrond's speech which makes it appear that she would live a very long time and spend the entirety of that time mourning.

I liked the beauty in the scene but I decided to change her fate in the MOC.

arwens_fate.jpg