Some days ago some pictures was showed in this forum, and now it time to show the complete MOC.

This van officially called "Type 2", is one of the most famous van in the world. Very popular in the 60's and known as the "hippies car"

There are many versions of the Type 2, this one is of the BUS version, known as "11 windows", it is very easy know why ;)

VW_T1_01.jpg

The real one:

Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg

It is made in scale 1:7.8. The total size is: 66 studs of length, only 27 wide and 30 of high (53x22x25 cm)

VW_T1_05.JPG

A complete bodywork with openable front doors, right side double door, and rear trunk and bonnet.

Also the doors have lock, you need turn the door handle to open it.

VW_T1_11.JPG

VW_T1_18.JPG

Working steering wheel and brake pedal. Like the Beetle both mechanisms auto-connect when you place the bodywork on the chassis.

VW_T1_15.JPG

And now the best part: Like the real Type 2, this MOC uses the same Type 1 platform of my previous Beetle (more info here)

MANUAL chassis on the left, and RC chassis on the right.

VW_T1_26.JPG

The Manual chassis is like you can imagine, 4+R speeds manual gearbox. To use the chassis in the Beetle or in the T1 you only need to change the shift lever

Short fotr the Beetle and long for the T1.

VW_T1_T2_5.JPG

The RC chassis is the same as my Beetle, 4+N+R sequential gearbox, also has motors for drive, steering and brakes

If yoy want to the RC chassis in action the best way is see the complete Beetle video

Like the manual chassis you only need to change the speed indicator to use it in the Beetle or in the T1

VW_T1_T2_8.JPG

Some pictures of the platform-brothers

VW_T1_T2_1.JPG

VW_T1_T2_2.JPG

VW_T1_T2_4.JPG

Finnaly as always a little video

For more info visit my website.

Wow, the whole body swapping thing is really epic! Did the original also had a simillar chassis! Lovely hippie van. Peace brother :innocent2:

Amazing just amazing wow,wish I could build this but as it stands to build your beetle will cost me 400 Euro . :look::cry_sad:

So wont be able to afford it,but I will be building the land rover :classic:

Edited by darksheep

Wow, the whole body swapping thing is really epic! Did the original also had a simillar chassis! Lovely hippie van. Peace brother :innocent2:

The chassis were nearly identical on all VW's from the Beetle, to the buses, to the Type 3 variants. They all had the same main chassis components, and many parts are shared between chassis.

VW's from the 60's are my favourite vehicles, I dream of owning a Split Screen. So to see these 2 cars made out of Lego, it blows my mind! My favourite of all of your super cars.

Beautiful model

And another proof that engineering in lego is done best when copying the engineering solutions found in real life. The use of the same chassis works like a charm.

Where you planning this already when you built the Beetle?

Great MOC!

Aside the fact, that the Beetle and the Bus did NOT have a common chassis (Bus has a unibody shell!), in this case it's a good idea to share the same underpinnings and just swap the bodies.

However, another great Sheepo build.

Once again a masterpiece of work :thumbup: .

I heard from Jurgen last week at LW, that he haved a lot off work again for making the instructions for your stunning T1 :laugh:

Great work Sheepo :thumbup:

I love that you have reused the same chassis, and the T1 and Beetle look great side-by-side, sharing a lot of design queues, such as the panel work, the bumper bars, and the headlights. Very nicely done.

Wow, the whole body swapping thing is really epic! Did the original also had a simillar chassis!

The chassis were nearly identical on all VW's from the Beetle, to the buses, to the Type 3 variants. They all had the same main chassis components, and many parts are shared between chassis.

Aside the fact, that the Beetle and the Bus did NOT have a common chassis (Bus has a unibody shell!), in this case it's a good idea to share the same underpinnings and just swap the bodies.

All of you are right.

The chassis of both cars are not the same, but they are very similar. The structure as automatic71 have said are not the same, the Beetle uses a flat structure in the floor of the car, and the T1 has a unibody shell.

But, the drivetrains are the same, the front axles are almoys the same(the T1 axle is stronger but with the same design) and the rear axle is the same to, but with portal gear reduction in the T1 (yes, like the MB Unimog)

Without all that details the overall design I think is enough similar to use them like a one chassis ;)

Amazing just amazing wow,wish I could build this but as it stands to build your beetle will cost me 400 Euro . :look::cry_sad:

This van doesn't use many rare parts, or it uses less than Mustang or Beetle, for example:

- It only have x2 #3 red connectors, but they can be easily change for x4 no. 44 parts.

- It has only x2 red softaxles 19L, they are not too rare, or if you want you can use ribbed 19L hose, they are almost the same and are very cheap, (less than 0.2€ in BL)

- All white soft axles are 12L, they relative common because the set 42025 has 3 of them

- And tons of 1x5x11 panels in "cheap" colors: white, black, light grey and red(now this color is "cheap", thanks to 42029 set)

At least instructions will take half the time though!

True :blush:

Where you planning this already when you built the Beetle?

From the beginning I designed the Beetle chassis to be used in the T1... To be honest, the chassis hides some more secrets...but I will show them little by little in the future... :devil:

Edited by Sheepo

Just last night, I was watching my T1 10220, and I thought about how to build one, with working drive and steering ... now I can stop thinking about it ... you're on another level !!

Awesome work as always !!!

A couple of weeks ago, it got my attention, when I saw it in a picture of a LEGO event on FB. I wondered why I had never seen it before.

Instantly recognizable and very cool! :thumbup:

You think this engine would fit?

In the Beetle I am almost sure don't, but in the T1 maybe, the main limitation is the distance between the bodywork and the rear axle, it is only 10 studs.

Wow! What a great idea! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Possibility of body swapping (btw. they both look awesome) for those two models is beyond cool! But, as if that were not enough, you've made two versions of chassis (manual and rc) for those two beautiful bodys... :sweet:

I've never seen anything like it and I really love it! :wub:

All of you are right.

The chassis of both cars are not the same, but they are very similar. The structure as automatic71 have said are not the same, the Beetle uses a flat structure in the floor of the car, and the T1 has a unibody shell.

But, the drivetrains are the same, the front axles are almoys the same(the T1 axle is stronger but with the same design) and the rear axle is the same to, but with portal gear reduction in the T1 (yes, like the MB Unimog)

Without all that details the overall design I think is enough similar to use them like a one chassis ;)

This van doesn't use many rare parts, or it uses less than Mustang or Beetle, for example:

- It only have x2 #3 red connectors, but they can be easily change for x4 no. 44 parts.

- It has only x2 red softaxles 19L, they are not too rare, or if you want you can use ribbed 19L hose, they are almost the same and are very cheap, (less than 0.2€ in BL)

- All white soft axles are 12L, they relative common because the set 42025 has 3 of them

- And tons of 1x5x11 panels in "cheap" colors: white, black, light grey and red(now this color is "cheap", thanks to 42029 set)

True :blush:

From the beginning I designed the Beetle chassis to be used in the T1... To be honest, the chassis hides some more secrets...but I will show them little by little in the future... :devil:

Thanks managed to get hold of 41 x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #3 - 157.5 degrees in red so now its just the other parts :classic: Now .

​I wanted 41 because I want to make the ford !