Srbandrews

MEC Category A: Vingilot - Ship of Eärendil

Hello everyone. This is my first post as a member so please go easy on me.

I've been working on this ship for a couple of weeks ago and I did post an incomplete work-in-progress image of it on a lego reddit sub, but it has been largely rebuilt and reimagined for this competition. It's also from a time in the Tolkien mythology that isn't covered by the films so may not qualify, but here goes anyway. Earendil with a Silmaril and his flying ship, Vingilot, on which he sailed to Valinor, slew Ancalagon the Black dragon and now carries the Silmaril as a star across the skies. The sticker on the sail I made myself (using microsoft word autoshapes) but the design is based on one version of Tolkien's designs for Earendil's heraldic device.

>> I decided the ship and one minifig alone didn't really look much like an official set, so I've added a couple of elements. I've included a pier of the Havens of Sirion and Cirdan the Shipwright. Cirdan actually features very briefly at the end of RotK and is by the time the oldest of all the elves in Middle-Earth. Seen here: http://tolkiengatewa...er_-_Círdan.jpg

The pier and barrels added a little bit of interactivity, although I wouldn't go so far as calling it a play feature - they don't shoot or catapult anything. I was going to put some food in the barrels but I discovered that the only food piece that I have is an apple that won't fit inside.

The ship is depicted without its trans-clear stand in the first few shots as it doesn't become a flying ship until after Earendil's voyage to Valinor.

qLn0BCD.jpg?1

XvxgbFL.jpg?1

81pHFYj.jpg?1

vBYaECZ.jpg

k3n5rmn.png?1

n5m8uaP.png?1

I don't have the necessary equipment to take good photos, but I think you should get the idea.

More images, mostly all the same: http://imgur.com/a/0q7Jo

EDIT: I've updated the first two images with a different brick just below the sail, which is the piece I originally intended to use but didn't know if I would get in time to enter.

EDIT2: Added small pier and Cirdan the Shipwright

Edited by Srbandrews

I love the Silmarillion and seeing this build is so cool! I love that you've recreated this part of Tolkien's world. The ship is small, but it gets the idea across very well in that scale. Great design, great minifig, great all around!

Thanks. In general, some of my favourite lego sets have been vehicles and the LOTR theme hasn't really leant itself to vehicle building. I just thought it would be quite cool to have this as a vehicle set.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've made a couple of additions that make it more of a 'set' including a new minifig and an option of hair for a helmetless Earendil.

Nice little build and a great pier. It really captures the feeling of reading The Silmarillion again for me. I defiantly could see this being a small lego set that I would pick up.

Neat build, Srbandrews! I really like everything about this, but my favorite part is the photography. Very well done presentation.

Thanks all! Personally, I'm not very happy with the photographs but, well, I suppose they must not be all that bad. I could do with a real camera though.

Though it's not from the LotR trilogy this one is a nice creation and would make a pretty nice little set for 15$ or so.

Especially the minifigs are nice - great combos there!