glendo

The Brick separator Virus

It was great the first time, the 45th time i received one it's kind of getting a bit too much. The very first one still does the job well, the other 44 were not necessary.

I'm afraid I must disagree. There are plenty of situations where it's handy to have TWO brick separators, so really, you only have _43_ in excess.

That said, at last count I had over 100 orange and 9 green ones. I also have several of the old designs which actually fit my hands better but aren't as versatile.

I was thinking of building a life-sized giant Condor model and using them as feathers, but who has the time...

[...] There are plenty of situations where it's handy to have TWO brick separators [...]

I agree with this. I keep all of my brick separators together to make sure I know where they are. Any time I am building a set or MOCing, I grab two from the supply and return them when I am done. I grab two because some situations are still tricky with only one (such as a 1x2 plate on a 1x2 plate). I always pair the separators and stick them together head-to-head with the tails pointing away from each other.

I do have quite a few separators, but, as others stated, not every child will get every large set, so I think LEGO is not including them in too many sets.

I keep an old one and new one with me pretty much at all times when building. They work great together when you use the new style on top and the old style on bottom.

Nice. :laugh::thumbup:

It reminds me of the Assembly Faction logo:

Faction_logo_assembly.png

IT'S BEEN GOING ON LONGER THAN WE THOUGHT

Having too many separators is not a problem, not having any (or having lost it in the pile of pieces) is. I think it is a great tool and should be included in all the sets as not everybody (specifically children) ends up buying the large sets where it is often found.

It happened again to me. I started a project last night and rummaged out some seperators, old and new.

They had wandered off just as soon as I needed them! The orange one unfindable....

Maybe the ones that wander off from some of us gravitate to those of you with lots, so that is how/why you end up with so many!

Didn't the small LOTR Wizard Battle set have one too?

But I still like that LEGO is getting them out there. And hey, if you still don't have one of those sets they come packaged in, you can always buy one for the low low price of $2.95 from S@H.

(snip) you can always buy one for the low low price of $2.95 from S@H.

If only S@H would accept them in trade as alternate currency.

"One UCS Batman Tumbler, please"

"Certainly, that will be 103 brick separators…"

If only S@H would accept them in trade as alternate currency.

"One UCS Batman Tumbler, please"

"Certainly, that will be 103 brick separators…"

:laugh: That would be great! I still do not understand why that piece is so expensive, other than because LEGO can... especially since they come "free" in so many sets. I guess that is probably the reason: if you are purchasing a brick separator from S@H, you obviously do not buy many sets and you must be pretty desperate :laugh: .

I believe the idea is include one in a lot of sets because not every person is going to buy every set with one in it. So for people like you who have too many, it shows you are buying a lot of sets. It isn't LEGO's fault you have an addiction. Or is it?

I have close to 20 or more, but I like having a lot because I can't always find them. So I look around and find another one, or another one. It actually is more feasible in my mind than annoying. If I had only one, I'd surely lose it. Since I have dozens, I can always find one.

Plus, I've never had one before this new one, so I welcome them into my collection.

If they become overwhelming, give them away, sell them, throw them away? All feasible options.

If you have problems finding them, why don't you designate a container for them so they can be carolled? Between baskets, drawers, bags, and various containers, there's a ton of options out there.

I have 2 designated containers plus another location that I'm not sure if its temp or long term. One is a basket in the top drawer of a cart in my room that holds 2 old school separators plus misc technic bits and bobs. The other is a three section container in the rolling cart that has my new ones in one section. Last one is the temp location. I have one old green one in a container that I have just basic bricks and some slopes in. I haven't decided if it'll stay there long term or not.

I'm not sure if the brick separator is a virus or not... what I'm pretty sure is that if Eurobricks charged for every ranting post or topic that appears in the site and then donated it to charity, maybe we can even stop famine in the world!!! Come on guys, it's a toy. Is it necessary to rant about EVERYTHING???? Cheers!

Is it necessary to rant about EVERYTHING????

I do not really see this thread as a rant, but just as humour about the fact that some of us get a lot of these separators.

As I have so many, I gave separators to two of my friends who restarted building Lego with SW and Technic sets, one already got a second separator in a SW set :laugh:

I have three of the old grey ones (which I keep losing), and none of the green or orange ones. Removing tiles is a right royal pain on the fingers - even when using the back of a Minifig spanner (which I believe was encouraged in the instructions in one set). I am currently using a non-Lego metal screwdriver to remove tiles - apologies to the purists: not ideal and I am worried about scratching. So .... big ask ... if you have too many orange separators, I would be very happy to accept one.

Princeofgonville (London, UK).

emoving tiles is a right royal pain on the fingers

I usually use my nails, but they are rather strong and not too short: I keep 1 to 2 mm of white (I do not like having them cut just at the edge, and as I often wash my hands they do not get too dirty). When I was kid it was useful for Lego tiles/plates, removing stickers, opening packages, etc.. Now it is still useful for the same uses :lol:

But when you have to remove a large amount of tiles, that orange separator can be useful indeed.

If you do not have one, something in wood or plastic would already be better than a metal screwdriver.

Edited by antp

Here's an idea... Make a lion's mane out of all the seperators. And if you have an orange cat put the mane on it and you got yourself a mini lion.