glendo

The Brick separator Virus

Is that grass cutter actually motorized? That looks interesting!

Yes, it is powered. :classic:

I just got back into the hobby a couple of months ago and actually think these brick separators are great. I remember being a kid trying to pry off those mistakenly placed pieces without cracking/breaking them. Not fun!

I just got back into the hobby a couple of months ago and actually think these brick separators are great. I remember being a kid trying to pry off those mistakenly placed pieces without cracking/breaking them. Not fun!

I don't think anyone here is arguing that they aren't a good idea, I remember buying several of the old style ones when they first came out years ago and the new design is even more versatile (even if the old ones fit my hand far better). The issue/point of mockery is really that, for avid collectors who've been at it for any length of time, it gets a little out of hand. I did five kits over the Thanksgiving holiday, every single kit had a brick separator in it. I have totem-pole of brick separators in the corner of my office that is over a foot tall at this point. At this rate, I should be able to use it for a coat rack by the year 2025.

They are handy little buggers, but I wish they'd at least vary the colors from time to time.

I've stopped counting, they're all over the place here. And I have a hunch there'll be another one added tomorrow when I open my Christmass Present...

I think it means you have large LEGO sets buying disease. It may be contagious. Quarantine yourself and switch to smaller sets. That should stop that orange cancerous growth. :laugh:

You can give them away to kids attending your LUG events or to members of your LUG too.

I take my "extra ones" to Lego shows where my LUG has a display up. I lot of them never come home... just as I planned.

i still had a bunch of bad luck of getting none so far... had to resort to some other soft tools to separate a bunch of tiles in the middle of a large plate

Mine get shredded very fast when I try to remove tiles, and somehow I never can seem to find any when I need them, although I think I have around 50 already :/

The older separators where not that good in tile removing. I prefer the new ones. And they had no axle remover.

As for the quantity, the more we get, the better. They can be used in mocs. :wink:

I hope we get a brick separator suit in a cmf series.

This needs to be a MUST!

I have one or two green ones and a lot of the orange ones.

I really like the design of the orange thing, it really works well for me.

I'm trying to get my 3 year old son used to it as soon as possible.

I have a lot of Lego from my childhood, but there are so many damaged bricks with tootmarks on them.

I'd love to avoid that with my boy, so he already has about five of them.

For now I have my new (post dark ages) Lego stored in separate cases and a special case for my son's stuff.

I try to have a separator in each case, just to have one at hand everytime I need one.

The only detail I'm missing is an additional bar with the diametre of a minifig bar (lightsabre blade).

I always use one of these to seperate parts with a cross hole from Technic pins with a crossbar:

1. Click the pin into a Technic brick or lever
  2. Block the pin with the bar
  3. Separate the part from the crossbar.

I think this function could be added at the tip of the handle.

I'm trying to get my 3 year old son used to it as soon as possible.

I have a lot of Lego from my childhood, but there are so many damaged bricks with tootmarks on them.

I'd love to avoid that with my boy, so he already has about five of them.

But the toothmarks give it that rustic look!

In all seriousness I have way too many older bricks with tooth marks...

Let's revive this thread:

one.... two.... three...

CLEAR! *bump*

29146604734_7d2b91097d_z.jpg

A closeup of my Neo-Nexus Force's sensor array partially made from six Brick Separators. I never thought I'd say this: Hooray for brick separators in every medium-and-up set!

29146604234_a5f2892923_z.jpg

and here it is attached to the base, which is currently in storage waiting for more parts to arrive.

This thread examines the models in more detail, with everything from the base to the ski sled covered either digital screenshots or in real life photos: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=106512

Also, if no-one gets the joke at the top of this post, it is a play off of the common used technique to revive people whose hearts have stopped with electric paddles.

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice use of those brick separators.

We tossed a whole bunch into some play bricks so kids can use them at our events. :laugh:

I don't mind having a lot of them. I collect hauls of around 100+ 4x6 plates from my Lego store (Winter Village landscaping, and maybe a functional guitar body), and if it was't for those brick separators, I'd have to use nails and screwdrivers to separate the bricks. Which damages them more.

On 10/25/2014 at 11:33 AM, glendo said:

and we think the Ebola Virus is spreading rapidly....

In 2011, TLG unleashed a new brick Seperator. It was an experiment designed the help mankind with the universal problem of sticky bricks, and allowing for happy hours of building.

- these seperators were placed in many large sets of significance, and rapidly covered the planet.

- they were designed with one thing in mind

- TLG planned to spread them out so that every human on this earth had an orange seperator within an arms reach, ready to assist you......

....... /dramatics

OK Lego, It was great getting a new brick seperator in my large lego sets. The new orange (and green) version is great

It was great the first time, the 45th time i received one it's kind of getting a bit too much. The very first one still does the job well, the other 44 were not necessary.

It's time to turn it down a notch. they are rapidly taking over the planet. I dont think they need to be in every set I purchase.

That's pretty unfair on new users though. The first one I'd ever seen was in a Parisian modular. One per modular or large set is totally fair, otherwise people who bought a large set worth hundreds of dollars will be expected to source their own or use a knife or teeth to damage hundreds of dollars worth of Lego.

I have at least 8 of them - and I haven't even got them from new sets!!!

And not only that, but I only have 3 old ones!

Oh... the Brick Separator does not have to be the "bad guy" of bricks, only separating them.

Use it as a LEGO building element. Here's an example:

45l.jpg.a7c6a0957781b7e9e62800ec3b80b1b5.jpg

Btw, I've uploaded this on Ideas. If you like it, you know what to do... :sweet: