narbilu

Bran’s Tale - chapter 1 [you decide his fate]

From the author:

I decided to write a story based on the son of Narbilu. The fun part will be that I will let you decide how the story progresses. At the end of every story, I will give you a multiple choice question of what will happen in the next chapter. Apart from any comments on the moc, please help me create a community based story around the son of my sigfig. Thanks.

Chapter 0 - Prologue link

Chapter 1 – The eagle has landed

Nervousness pumped my blood in high speed through my veins, when I climbed on the back of the eagle. Although I couldn´t understand the screeching of the giant bird, it seems it understands my stuttering directions to Nocturnus. I decided to travel to the farthest point of Historica and let fate decide if I travel back through Kaliphlin of Mitgardia, or even both before heading back home. And from the tales told by the bards and elders, Nocturnus is the worst... so it can only become an easier path, when I survive that.

My heartbeat slows when we fly over the snow-covered mountains of Mitgardia. Finally I can relax and enjoy the ride. The eagle flies with enormous speed. When I look down the mountains quickly change colour from pale white to monstrous jagged black. The blue streams are gone, transformed into dry beddings or steaming red magma. Nocturnus is more dead than the sandy deserts of Kaliphlin. Death rules here, while death already gave up on the sands. A shiver flows over my skin when the sun disappears behind a purple greyish cloud. The eagle makes a quick decision and leaps into the cloud, high enough to reach the sunshine again. For a brief moment we enjoy the warmth before she dives back into the depth, landing on the top of a rock. Her wings and head bow forward, so I can hop of. Before I can say anything, the creature disappears back into the darkened sky.

With solid rock under my feet, I figured that this is probably the safest spot that I will find for some time. So I sit down and eat some rations. With only half a backpack filled with the most necessary stuff, I should search the area for some berries or drinkable fluids. My stomach keeps making noise, but I have to be provident with whatever I have, until I find a source of income or at least find out what I can eat around here. In a few leaps I jump down to the foot of the rock. All of a sudden I hear a cry for help. From behind something that could go for a bush, I witness a vague silhouette of a person hanging from a tree. I try to sneak closer. Dangling caught in a booby-trap, appears to be a woman with some sort of insect mutation, I have never seen before. But that will certainly be happening more often.

15429167027_a1a1aaa7b8_o.jpg

The moment she spotted me she started begging me, to get her out, before her masters of Morrow would find her here. Cautiously I stepped forward, I dropped my duffle bag on the ground and grabbed my axe. Pointing both axe and shield in her direction, just to be certain she won’t be conning me. Underneath her, it seems she almost can’t move and she genuinely is trapped. In her odd eyes, fear overrules every other emotion. My head spins around the area for other irregularities, nothing so far. I draw a circle around the tree, before trying to climb it. Even though it looks easy to master, the strange twigs and structure of the tree makes it impossible to climb. With every attempt, the tree shifts into a different shape. I have to figure out another way to get her out of her restrains. The axe is the next best option. A wide swing with controlled anger plants the blade deep into a branch. Greenish bloodlike fluids seep along the clod iron. Instantly the tree stops moving, making it possible to crawl up the branch. I remove the chains and the woman drops on the rocky soil underneath her.

15428525189_29ff6eb50c_o.jpg

Quickly I return with my feet on solid ground, again taking in battle position. When the woman gets out of her restrains, she sits down on a rock, inviting me over. I do so. Her name is Nidalee. We talked for a while...

The tale continues soon, you can decide their fate:

What should Bran and his companion do next, search for:

1) Food

2) Shelter

What creature will slow their progress:

A) Burrowing

B) Flying

The rockwork here is especially well done. I really like how you made it sort of merge into the border, and the half border/half irregular base really works great! That plant off to the side looks quite menacing! Good job on the shaping of the tree, you managed to make it look unusual but not impossible, though the way the raven lady is hanging up there does seem a bit flimsy. For the story, I'd say go with 1a!

2A. We've see a lot of flying creatures witht the Mount Up competition. Would be a change to see some underground action.

Nice build- good rockwork and a nice tree.

I agree that 2a seems to be the most plausible and interesting next step :classic:

Nice vignette, I like that plant on the right side a lot! The presentation however would gave been improved by a solid color backdrop or some editing.

Nice rock-work and awesome plant in the right corner, I'll go with 2a as well.

Thanks for all your feedback guys/gals. For now my project will be 2B... unless the outcome will be different before the weekend.

This is an interesting story concept, Narbilu!

My vote is for 2A. Shelter would be useful if Bran is in the harsher environments of Nocturnus. I think a burrowing creature would be interesting, as we tend to see flying creatures regularly. A burrowing creature, IMO, would be slightly more difficult and give a more satisfying result.

Thanks for all your feedback guys/gals. For now my project will be 2B... unless the outcome will be different before the weekend.

I think you meant 2A. Lots more votes for A than B.