Disco86

MEC Category A: Battle of Osgiliath

Brilliant creation / set!

Seeing this makes me a bit angry and sad at the same time because there won't be any Gondor sets and no RotK Witch-king and Eowyn. :cry_sad:

The play-features are nice but as the others said, there is missing some color next to the grey pieces but if this were an official set I would totally buy at least one if not two.

I have to say I never understood people clamoring for an Osgiliath set - after all, the place is just a bunch of grey ruins, not terribly exciting. But this set looks great, I'd buy it for sure. It really captures the scene very well, something that many official LotR sets failed to do. And of course, thumbs up for the superb minifigs!

It's really the potential for figures that drives most of the Osgiliath appearances on "want" lists... In such a set you could get Faramir, other rangers, Gondor soldiers, orcs, Gothmog, Nazgul... Ruins they may be, but isn't that what Dol Goldur is? Lego could probably color up such a set some, with some dark tan, sand green, olive green thrown around... But play features would likely match this set fairly well, with collapsing bits, catapults, ballista, etc.

Great set design! The modular aspect makes it really tempting for buying copies, to build out larger ruins however we want... And nicely-designed ruins can be as fun to build & look at as nicely-designed intact structures. I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat, especially with hair/ears for all the orcs (if an official set, I'd love an armored orc--variation on the Moria orc print, with a new helmet--as the main orc, with Gothmog as the elite... But this lineup is great, too, thanks to the variations!).

I know IDEAS has lots of LOTR/Gondor stuff on it, but this would be a great addition there...

Yes I feel like the effort and the cool play features that you incorporated into this model could make this easily compete with the Minas Tirith model currently on Lego Ideas

This is a really good design for OsgiIiath and I think if you added some of this color (below), like TLG did with Helms Deep and some more water around the set,it would add a bit more color to the set. An exploding feature and new orc prints or armor would also add to its value.

m4dYFDurYJqkn5M4xyC-M-w.jpg

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Wow that is one piece of excellent work! Awesome and depressing all at once. Just a quality build and one that I think a lot of people would have bought if LEGO had just decided to do more Gondorian sets. I am so disappointed that they haven't seeing the quality of the sets figure wise has been so good. This would have been a great seller as it has the two factions, boats, some very cool figs and some great pieces and details. Just in awe....would have bought multiples...many multiples.

Not too late to send to LEGO??? :cry_sad:

Thanks for the great feedback, I think I am really putting this on Ideas after the contest is over. Maybe I am going to build another set until the deadline.

Very in step with the Lake Town Attack set recently released.

That was one of the instructions lying on my table for inspiration, well guessed !

Did you design it in LDD first?

No, I am always building things directly with bricks, because you dont get the same feeling of whats possible, when planning digital.

...there is missing some color next to the grey pieces ...

As said before, the city in the movie is completly grey. But maybe some olive green moss parts would look great. I am adding some colour, if I am doing a second set for the contest.

This is awsome how did you do the box design? Good luck in the contest.

I cut out the set picture from the Mines of Moria, deleted the figures down left and some parts of the top with magic.Then I was looking for a monochrome background picture of ruins, and added my own cut out model on top. Actually it was really tricky and it took over 6 hours.

I think it needs some of this color (below), like TLG did with Helms Deep,some more water around the set, an exploding feature and new orc prints or armor, also maybe Gothmog.

If all you could say about this, that you could make it better, why not making your own set for the competition ?

Yes! This is the perfect formula for a Lord of the Rings set. It captures an iconic moment from the films, it includes some nice characters (Orc Elite and Faramir) and it is a great army builder, 3 "good" guys and 3 "bad" guys. This seriously could fool me into thinking it's an actual, licensed set if I didn't read the title. Outstanding.

Edited by A Hobbit Fellow

Ummmm wow you should put this on ideas!

2nd this! Need to let LEGO know that the fans still want LOTR sets.

Obviously it's a good idea, but well done on the execution and the effort put into it. I can see this pretty much as a real set, and would jump at it, no hesitation.

Maybe brick built "boats" would look even better and add better variety to the part colours? You've captured the scene very well and have done a good job with the minifigs.

I got to say that it took me almost 2 minutes before I realize this was NOT an official set!

Excellent Disco, just excellent!

Thanks for your great feedback ! Still thinking about making another set showing the siege of Minas Tirith.

Putting this on ideas may be only an opion, if I get enough votes in that category :laugh:

But I am really thinking about putting it up there, because of that tremendous Feedback :sweet:

Motivated by your enormous feedback, i finally uploaded my project at Lego Ideas. I would be really happy, if you support it :wink:

Together we can make our dream of Gondor soldiers and rangers come true !

640px-LEGO_Ideas_logo.svg.png