IvanStorm

[MOD] Back To The Future DeLorean

I have to say that I hated the original DeLorean set - blocky, ugly, awkward, Marty and Doc can't sit inside together, etc. Even before I bought it I knew it will have to be heavily modified.

15414343990_4de302ca28_b.jpg1

by ivanstorm2, on Flickr

I love the movies, but my main priority was to make the model look good. Which explains the curvy hood and licence plates - not very authentic, but they look good.

15413832818_d56b0d9e19_c.jpg2

The doors took the longest time, because I really wanted them to be connected on both sides, and the front connection required a rather elaborate construction, since it's angled both horizontally and vertically.

14979203164_a5402ba565_c.jpg4

I also wanted the doors to be closer to the real-life gull-wing doors, but I had to make some sacrifices to ensure they are sturdy enough (that's why the rear part is so thick).

15599933525_6d16d04178_c.jpg5

Marty and Doc can sit side by side - that was the easiest part, done using jumper plates.

15576268286_2395ecaa03_c.jpg3

I copied the rear from someone else's MOD, looking so much better than the original.

15414346260_0a5fa97557_c.jpg6

Marty and Doc seem pretty happy with their new car.

Edited by IvanStorm

I liked the official set, but I have to say this is a major improvement. Nice work. :thumbup:

Good job. Way better than the original. I know I just have to have this set but still haven't because of it's uglyness... H thing just HAS to be modded...

I really like your improvements, but one major flaw you've created with them is the roundness to the body which is not a characteristic of the Delorean. For that reason I have to say I like the official model better.

Definitely an improvement overall- I always thought the hood on the official set in particular was terrible! You're right that this looks better in general, but I have to agree that it does lose a lot of the DeLorean vibe with the curves. I'd maybe go with a flat slope for the hood and keep the rest of your mods as-is. That would keep your great doors and other mods, but still make it "feel" a lot more like a DeLorean. :)

Definitely an improvement overall- I always thought the hood on the official set in particular was terrible! You're right that this looks better in general, but I have to agree that it does lose a lot of the DeLorean vibe with the curves. I'd maybe go with a flat slope for the hood and keep the rest of your mods as-is. That would keep your great doors and other mods, but still make it "feel" a lot more like a DeLorean. :)

Yes, as a "DeLorean", it's pretty bad, I guess. This MOD (not mine) does a better job at that. I just wanted a cool-looking car, vaguely resembling the one from Back To The Future, so I ended up with curves :)

Edited by IvanStorm