Sign in to follow this  
Eric The Hand

Custom Minifigs : Guardians of The Galaxy (Comic Version)

Hey everyone. I've recently got into customizing minifigs and I have decided to make my own Custom Minifigs : Guardians of The Galaxy based on the latest GoG comics. This Project will include Starlord, Gamora, Rocket, Groot, Drax and Iron Man Space Armor Mk III.

---Custom Minifig 1: Groot---

groot-small_zpshy91jaka.jpg

I've chosen to kickstart the project by building Groot since I felt it was the easiest to customize since he looks like a humanoid tree which does not require any specific symmetrical design.

(Note : This custom Groot is more based on the movie version which I think looks better than the comic version)

For Groot I've used a Woody minifig from the Toy Story series as the base. The height of the minifig is just perfect to represent Groot being taller than the rest of the Guardians.

I then used Tamiya's Epoxy Putty on the minifig to sculpt the head,chest,back, legs and arms.

I also used a random extra head I found in my storage while the hands are made from Wolverine's claws.

The eyes are actually Gundam Customization parts which I bought from a local hobby store.

It took me awhile to get the actual look that I wanted for Groot as not only this was my first time customizing a minifig but also my first time using any type of epoxy putty.

Nonetheless,it turned out ok so far.

Below are pictures of my Custom Groot Minifig (still in progress). My friend Benny Lee is helping me out with most of the paintjob for this whole project, so I will update on the finish custom minifig soon.

For more pictures click here.

---Custom Minifig 2: Iron Man Space Armor Mark III a.k.a Deep Space Armor---

5_zpse64cc9e2.jpg

14168787266623_zpspje2gxfm.jpg

---Custom Minifig 3:---

---Custom Minifig 4:---

---Custom Minifig 5:---

---Custom Minifig 6:---

(Note : more updates on my next custom minifigs soon)

Hope you guys like this project, thanks for checking out this topic and lemme know what you think. Cheers!

Edited by Eric The Hand

That's the only mining scale Groot I've seen that I haven't thought looked weirdly out of proportion. Nice job! :thumbup: all the special molded bits work really well.

Edited by K-Nut

So far, so good! It's difficult to get detail and personality to come through with such a small sculpt, but I think you've done a helluva job. Should you happen to cast a few spares, I'd be happy to purchase one.

Thanks Colossus. I'm still very new in minifig customization and I've got much to learn before I can consider selling custom made minifigs. It has crossed my mind to be honest and I have been doing some research on the art of molding and casting. I'm happy to know that you like this minifig enough to actually consider buying one from me. Maybe in the near future? *fingers crossed* :excited:

Groot's looking good so far! I'm really looking forward to Star Lord... if you do the 2008 version (as opposed to the most recent pre-movie Bendis-scripted version), the Kryptonian guns from the Man Of Steel sets look like great stand-ins to the Kree guns he sported for a few years there instead of his Element Gun(s).

Groot's looking good so far! I'm really looking forward to Star Lord... if you do the 2008 version (as opposed to the most recent pre-movie Bendis-scripted version), the Kryptonian guns from the Man Of Steel sets look like great stand-ins to the Kree guns he sported for a few years there instead of his Element Gun(s).

Thanks Venkefedo. My current build will be based on this version below,

background.jpg

with the exception of Groot. I think the MCU version goes well with Lego theme. However i might actually make the pre-bendis version as well with the matching uniforms. I'm also looking through Brickforge to see what compatible weapons i can use for both Starlord and Rocket but your suggestion on the Kryptonian gun might do the trick. Will update on that soon. I'm now working on the Space Armor Mk III. Next would be Starlord.

Edited by Eric The Hand

Updated the topic once my Groot was done. New photos of Groot as well as a link to more photos.

After the first paintjob, my friend Benny and I agreed that it made Groot seemed too gothic-like. Hahaha...the color tone was a little too dark for our tastes so we decided to go with a lighter color tone which will give the minifig a better LEGO feel.

And, Benny did a great job with the final paintjob. Groot now has a lighter shade of brown with a tinge of green on certain areas... So i'm very happy with how it turned out

However, I apologise for the bad photos (you can't really see the green tinge on Groot) . I will update the photo album with better photos soon.

Hope you guys like it. More custom minifig coming soon.

Edited by Eric The Hand

Hey everyone, so I finally got the time to do some work on my next custom minifig over the weekend and I would like to share a picture of my progress so far.

IMG_20141110_025743_zpsm2zpy3pk.jpg

More photos here : http://s36.photobucket.com/user/ericthehand/library/Custom%20Minifig%2002%20-%20Iron%20Man%20Space%20Armor%20MK%20III

Edited by Eric The Hand

Thanks Borador and commodore-legolas.

The armor took a lot of work, a lot of tries and a lot of different designs. I finally made a decent one that looks okay. Next, I will be working on the back piece, arms and maybe the legs. I'm not rushing on this custom minifig as I want to follow the actual armor design from the comics as close as possible. But there'll be more updates soon. I'm happy that you guys like my work so far. Thanks again guys. :laugh:

Edited by Eric The Hand

Love it! The detail here is amazing!

Thanks Slurpifier. Glad u love it. :laugh:

The helmet is simply pr0nflakes.

How did you do that?

Hi Raminator. The helmet is actually a bootleg Iron Man helmet which I then carved it to look like the Space Armor Mk III helmet. I sacrificed 3 official Iron Man minifig helmets before moving on with the bootlegs. Took me awhile to get the right look for this. It could still use some more details but I think it looks ok for now. :grin:

Edited by Eric The Hand