DavidJSevern

Holiday Destination - Beach (WIP)

Hi all,

I've been wanting to build a Lego city for a very long time, ever since I started watching YouTube videos on people's cities and thinking 'I wish I could do that', then I moved into my own house and the dream became a reality! It took a while between deciding to do it and actually doing it, mainly because I had no idea how to do it and which route to take.

I wasn't too keen on having an 'urban' looking city, nothing against them (and the majority of those I've seen are incredible) but I wanted something more cheery and relaxing. In the end, I decided to model my city on a Spanish holiday destination where I used to go when I was younger; it had everything I wanted to build: beach, walkway, palm trees, restaurants, and lots more little bits and pieces that'd make for an interesting build.

For my first build I wanted to do something relatively simple (which later turned out NOT to be simple) so I chose to do the 'hub' of the whole scene: the beach.

http://s1373.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

The wall was the tricky (or time consuming) part - initially I build the whole structure with a one stud overlap, and meant to form a 'lip' on the top of the wall for baseplates to be slotted nicely on top and held together with tiles. This was all well and good until I realised it would be impossible to move the finished town if I kept it in that layout, so I changed to a modular method: I plan to raise the whole city to be level with the walls of the beach, and connect it all using technic pins. It's a costly method, and maybe a bit overkill, but I'll be the easiest way to allow the town to be mobile.

I'm wanting to finish the beach before I start work on another main part, and need a mountain of tan 4 x 4 plates and trans light blue 1 x 2 plates, the latter of which is very expensive for its size (maybe my luck will come in and it'll appear on a pick-a-brick wall...) but my side project for this - the part that I need help with - is the furniture for the beach: lilos, deck chairs, umbrellas, tables etc. If anyone's made or seen anything like that (or has any suggestions of what else could go on the beach), I'd very much enjoy seeing it!

Thank you all very much, EuroBricks is slowly becoming my most visited site - mainly because I've not seen one nasty or hurtful comment yet, and that's wonderful :classic:

I have a more detailed blog of this at www.legoseafronttown.blogspot.co.uk (hopefully I can post the link) which I plan to update in the coming few days.

Edited by DavidJSevern

It looks like a good start! Here's a couple of links for you...

Review of the Jet Ski set http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59483 (although it does seem disproportionately large)

And check out Greg3's dive shop in Ballabreek http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77658&st=50&hl=+dive%20+shop#entry1595999

And the Simpson's house came with a couple of sunloungers

12092848926_9f95408d82.jpg

But why not consider adding a rocky area with rock pools - easy enough to do and it might add some variety to the beach.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops...

Great start DavidJSevern.

Have you thought about posting YouTube progress videos? The Lego Town builders on Youtube are a friendly encouraging bunch.

Looking forward to the next step.

Mike

Thanks everyone for your replies!

@eurotrash - I did look at the Simpsons loungers for a while but thought they looked a bit too 'blocky', I know it's Lego, so maybe I'm just being too picky :P

I like the jet ski though; I've been using the one from the coast guard rescue set from this/last year and just changed the colours round a bit on a couple of them, it seems a stronger build than the polybag.

The dive shop is a great idea! I've got a building made and wasn't sure what to put in it, but that may well have answered that question!

@serpico - Your city is great! Are you on YouTube? I feel as though I've seen that mountain at the back before but can't quite think where.

I think I'll end up doing a rocky area, but have it starting further to the side of the beach. I've considered a lighthouse too but I think there's a friends one coming out next year so plan on looking at that and possibly modding it to less offensive colours and fleshing it out a bit.

The lifeguard from the latest series is bald at the minute, I stole the hair for a sigfig, but I hadn't even thought about putting him on the beach - thanks! :)

@3BrickFriends - I'd love to post videos to YouTube, but it's this British accent I'm blessed with that makes me think I couldn't pull it off as suavely as the regulars do. I very much enjoy their videos though, any suggestions for lesser known ones? Bricks4Chris, FrictionPin are the main towns I like to keep updated on, but I'd love to see more!