GuyDudeMan27

[MOC] Z-95 Headhunter

Hi guys! Today I have my latest Moc, the Z-95 Headhunter. I think that this is one of the coolest starfighters, seeing as they've seen service before the X-WIng, and alongside it. There are a few versions of the Z-95, but I chose the one I liked best (and had nice renders for). Seeing as the Z-95 has one incarnation (albeit a clone version) and is very similar to the X-wing, I used some parts/techniques from 75004 and 9493. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this Moc turned out. My only concerns are stability of the wings/body. The paint job is just meh, but I guess that's easily changeable. If you want to read up on the Z-95, you can do so here. Comments and criticisms are welcome, as always. I'd love to post the LFX, but I'm not really sure how to do so just yet :hmpf_bad: And now, onto the pics. All pics are on my flickr. Thanks for looking :blush:

14965505364_3507756b0d_c.jpgZ-95 2 by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

15399624379_baec092758_c.jpgZ-95 2 Back by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

15399624389_4e5209257d_c.jpgZ-95 2 Engine by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

15400242127_07bb82f2cd_c.jpgZ-95 2 Cockpit 1 by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

15587077132_066579e0da_c.jpgZ-95 2 Cockpit 2 by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Lastly, here's the reference pic:

15400300247_968cb0182c_c.jpgZ-95 Reference by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Aren't the wings a bit too wide if compared to a reference picture?

Other than that - a good clean build. Would be cool to see it "in bricks". :classic:

Edited by WickNole

Aren't the wings a bit too wide if compared to a reference picture?

Other than that - a good clean build. Would be cool to see it "in bricks". :classic:

:wacko: Never looked at it that hard. I guess V.3 will be coming soon...

Other than the wings being slightly over sized.. This is an excellent MOC! I think the stability will be Okay, as long as your not swooping too hard (if you plan to build this). I loved LEGOs Clone Wars version, and it really made me appreciate the ship, until I scrapped it to make it into a V-19 Torrent. The combination of 75004 and 9493 are seamless.

It looks awesome but I agree that the wings are a little big. Hope to see it in real bricks

Edited by Rishab N

Other than the wings being slightly over sized.. This is an excellent MOC! I think the stability will be Okay, as long as your not swooping too hard (if you plan to build this). I loved LEGOs Clone Wars version, and it really made me appreciate the ship, until I scrapped it to make it into a V-19 Torrent. The combination of 75004 and 9493 are seamless.

It looks awesome but I agree that the winds are a little big. Hope to see it in real bricks

Thanks! I really want to build this, and when I pieced it out it was only about $60. About the wings, I'll work on that over the next few days.

Nice model.

How does it compare to the X-wing in terms of size ?

My concern with the current official Z-95 model from Lego is that it is too large for such a small fighter. In SW, the Z-95 is supposed to be 20% shorted than the X-wing.

Hi guys! I've finally finished working on my Z-95. Here I have the new version, and hopefully the last one. I've done a lot more than just shortening the wings. I've resigned the engines, guns, and the nose, as well as shortening and redesigning the wings. I've also fleshed out the cockpit, and I gave it a completely different color scheme. I wanted to submit it to Lego Ideas, but they don't like my pictures. Apparently they aren't mine... You can see the full album on my Flickr, or here. Lastly, you can get the LFX file on my Brickshelf, or here. Enjoy!

16196049561_d4daa9d45e_c.jpgZ-95 V3 by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Great improvement! :thumbup: Looks a lot more MOCish instead of keeping more to the simple TLG design standards.

Great improvement! :thumbup: Looks a lot more MOCish instead of keeping more to the simple TLG design standards.

Thanks. In all honesty, I could have done a lot more work before I posted it, but I guess it doesn't matter.

This is a great custom build, the only nitpicking i can find is no storage space for a weapon, backpack or cargo.

I like it better then the X wing, when will lego release this???? :wink: :wink:

I'l trying my first custom/mod of a z-95 myself, but it takes a whole lot of time to get it right.

How long does it take to create this from thought to final form?

Edited by firefox

This is the best neatest Star fighter I`ve seen so far.I really don`t like the over-fussy look of all the X-Wings I`ve seen ,but this Z-95 v3 has real attitude and the looks of a genuine combat machine; it`s fantastic!

take care

Kenny

Edited by r5-j2

I like v3 with the new wings, but, the nose of v2.

Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

This is a great custom build, the only nitpicking i can find is no storage space for a weapon, backpack or cargo.

I like it better then the X wing, when will lego release this???? :wink: :wink:

I'l trying my first custom/mod of a z-95 myself, but it takes a whole lot of time to get it right.

How long does it take to create this from thought to final form?

Thank you for the bump. If you look at the pictures on my Flickr, there is a bit of room behind the cockpit. I have some greebles thrown back there at the moment, but that could easily become cargo space. It's funny you mention TLG releasing it, as my original looked almost exactly like a TLG model. That's why I further designed it to the final version, version 3. I tried to get it on Lego Ideas, but I was shut down at every step of the way. Apparently, it's fine to post a near exact replica of a TLG set, but a completely original design, God forbid. And then they claimed that the renders I made weren't even my own. But this is an EU based Moc, so TLG will never make a model like this one. As for the time it took, this isn't a good Moc to ask that for. The original design was knocked out in a few days, probably less, in LDD. Then I spent a few days nit-picking, and then I was done. Of course, this was only the first version, and it was very rough. I honestly hate that design. As for the second one, I took my time to master accuracy and make the best ship I could, so it took a lot longer. Maybe a good week or two? So maybe overall, I would say a few weeks.

This is the best neatest Star fighter I`ve seen so far.I really don`t like the over-fussy look of all the X-Wings I`ve seen ,but this Z-95 v3 has real attitude and the looks of a genuine combat machine; it`s fantastic!

take care

Kenny

Thanks! I really have a soft spot for it too. I'd love to build it and display it next to mt modded X-Wing, but I don't have the money or time. What do you mean by over fussy? A big inspiration for this was Mike Psiaki's amazing X-Wing, which I have and am modeling my modded X-Wing after. Would you call that over fussy?

I like v3 with the new wings, but, the nose of v2.

Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

As I said above, I'm really not a fan of the first version for the simple reason that it looks like a TLG model. I want something distinctly my own, with my own style. The nose may be a bit much, but I like it.

By over fussy, I mean too many wings!, I have never liked the X-Wing (since I first saw Ep.4 in 1976.......yes I`m THAT old ),........which means I`m probably in a minority of one!.I much prefer the A-Wing and now the Headhunter.

take care

Kenny

p.s. no offence meant to those who have built stunning X-Wings.

Edited by r5-j2

By over fussy, I mean too many wings!, I have never liked the X-Wing (since I first saw Ep.4 in 1976.......yes I`m THAT old ),........which means I`m probably in a minority of one!.I much prefer the A-Wing and now the Headhunter.

take care

Kenny

p.s. no offence meant to those who have built stunning X-Wings.

Interesting. I can definitely see where you're coming from. I like the simple two wing designed ships as well, but the X-Wing has an amazing charm to me. Not to say I don't love me a good Z-95 :wink:

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Wow! That is pretty darn cool! Although, there is one weird thing(not about the model): there is this Z-95 Headhunter, then there is the one from Star Wars:The Clone Wars. They look different, yet they have the same name! Now why is that? :sceptic: But still, great model!

On 1/20/2015 at 11:03 AM, GuyDudeMan27 said:

Hi guys! I've finally finished working on my Z-95. Here I have the new version, and hopefully the last one. I've done a lot more than just shortening the wings. I've resigned the engines, guns, and the nose, as well as shortening and redesigning the wings. I've also fleshed out the cockpit, and I gave it a completely different color scheme. I wanted to submit it to Lego Ideas, but they don't like my pictures. Apparently they aren't mine... You can see the full album on my Flickr, or here. Lastly, you can get the LFX file on my Brickshelf, or here. Enjoy!

16196049561_d4daa9d45e_c.jpgZ-95 V3 by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

This model looks great, buying the parts of bricklink now, will post photos when completed.

unfortunately, I had to stop buillding the model as it has quite a few structural weakensses, and loose parts.