pj_bosman

MOC: Groothoofdspoort (Groothoofd City Gate)

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section... Although I signed up to Eurobricks ages ago, I never really posted anything up here. it's quite historical (although parts of it are still medieval, it is set in the 18th century). It doesn't really fit in the "LEGO historic themes" section in my opinion. It's not a pirate mod either, since it's based on a real building and I'm pretty sure Dordt never had a pirate harbor :-) So I put this into town, but if I'm wrong, please put it on the right spot :-)

Groothoofdspoort, Dordrecht

Some time ago my colleagues in Dordrecht asked me if I could build something from their city. They offered me a challenge to recreate one of Dordt's landmarks: the Groothoofdspoort (one of the two remaining city gates). It is located at the river Beneden Merwede, at the point where it continues as river Noord and river Oude Maas. It was built in the late medievals, but altered in 1618 (facades), 1692 (dome) and 18th century (rococo ornate gate at the river side). The house between the harbor entrance and the gate were built in the early 17th century after narrowing the harbor entrance. The house at the other side of the gate was built with it's back leaning against the city wall. Since the current setting (2014) isn't my favorite one with a big grey hotel at one side of the gate, I started searching for historic pictures in the city's archives and found several ones from the 18th century showing some Dutch renaissance facades and a nice kitchen annex with columns instead of the hotel. The street plan was taken from the first proper cadastral map from 1830, still showing the 18th century situation. Most fun was recreating the diagonal parts in the building lines. Only three buildings have square floor plans. One of the houses got only one 90 degree angle.

15332357578_d6776d1752_b.jpg

pj_bosman 2014-05-11 Groothoofdspoort reference pictures 7662 by patrick_bosman, on Flickr

15328842629_9655bff914_b.jpg

pj_bosman 2014-05-11 Groothoofdspoort 7551 by patrick_bosman, on Flickr

More pictures here

Thanks for reading :-)

Beautiful :wub: :wub: :wub: Especially how you made the tower! Not only that it looks nice, it is true to the original! I really love the facades!

AWESOME and delightful creation 'pj_bosman', though judging by the period of the design........this might have been better posted in Historic Forum.

But still I :wub: the detailing in it, Brick On 'pj_bosman' ! :grin:

This is very detailed and large, pj_bosman!

I like the details, like the sand green tower dome, the greebling on the dark orange building, the tan roof line, the clock hands (to name a few). The entire build is quite detailed! The different roofing techniques are nice.

The reflection on the black-brick water looks really good, though the black is quite dark for water. I cannot think of a better color to use, though.

The only thing I would like to see different is a way to close the gaps on the wall and dome of the tower. The technique used is nice, but the gaps are noticeable. Perhaps cheese slopes could be incorporated to help fill gaps?

This MOC is an excellent Eurobricks beginning, and I cannot wait to see what else you build.

Brick on, pj_bosman!

This is simply gorgeous! I love the rust colored brick with dark gray accents, but my favorite part is the different shields put around under the base of the dome. Very well done!

Absolutely amazing :wub:

So much details and amazing stuff all over.

You really managed to capture the feeling and atmosphere from those fotoos/drawings/paintings into LEGO :thumbup:

Wonderful - really appreciate the attention to detail and the way that the town has been built.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Great and wondful MOC. I saw it on "Lego Fanworld" in Utrecht last weekend. There are many small details i first saw on a "second view".

Most i like is that building in my favorite colour "dark orange".

Amazing! There are so many interesting details. And on top of it, you managed to implement details and looks from an 18th century historical documents into LEGO with great accuracy. That's equally impressive. Congratulations on this fine work, and I guess you should be challenged by your colleagues more often, so the rest of us could enjoy wonderful creations. :classic:

Third post and you go and land something like that!! ;)

It's absolutely beautiful... the details are incredible... without trying to be too fiddly and the mixture of old grey and bluish grey really works on this.

There's definitely a sense that this place is alive and being used. Just an excellent MOC!

I saw your MOC of Groothoodspoort a little while ago on your Flickr, but haven't commented on It. The reference in combination of how you build It is great and I'm sure these pictures just don't do this impressive MOC any justice as in real life.

Usually I don't comment here, but these one I had to: impressive and awesome work. Congratulations!

What a beautiful piece of history! Your job is amazing and deserves all feautres in LEGO universe. Congrats!

I saw this yesterday at Lego World Utrecht and in real life it is even better! I litterly stood there for 10min watching all the small details.

Hello and welcome on Eurobricks!

I visited yesterday Legoworld and saw this awesome creation and your modular houses in the city next to it too.

I already commented on this building on flickr. I actually live in Dordrecht.Not only the front, but also the back are really a masterpiece. Don't have other words for it.

A totally awesome piece of work! Very true to the original, and its size and detail contribute to the model's innate beauty.

Had the opportunity to see this in real life at LEGO World today and I have to say it looks even better in person! Awesome build.