VBBN

Battle For The Golden Mask Competition: Discussion Thread

Finished my MoC. I'll take pictures of it when I have the time. Maybe make another in the meantime.

So... yeah, scratch-build it. ;)

I was rather thinking of a custom-made mask, like this, but indeed, a brick-built mask would be accepted. :sweet:

Yes, I know. He asked if we could do that, and said that if not, he would scratch-build one, as in make it from Technic parts or something. I was just following up your answer to the first part of his question with my answer to the second part.

Anyway, three entries in so far from my old MOCs, maybe more to come before I start posting new ones.

I've nearly finished my 4th MOC, I'm just thinking about what weapon would be good for this model. I was originally going to give him a fantasy style longbow, but judging by the resulting massive bulk and armour on him, I'm wondering if a great big hammer would be a better choice...

Some people who have watched my Flickr stream for a while (or seen it on EB) may get a little sense of deja vu with it though, as it's technically a revamp of an older MOC despite the fact I've changed 80% of the structure and armour and completely redone the legs and hands.

Any non lego components in an entry will result in disqualification. As long as a scratch built mask is made out of lego with no parts modification then that is of course fine

From my understanding a Rahi is not a villain, unless you count something like the Bohrok Queens.

Edited by Nakitanga

Would a giant evil rahi be able to count? No rider, just an awesome rahi?

A rahi is acceptable, yes. Just remember when judging we will look for the baddest villains out there, so if you can make a rahi the baddest thing out there go for it!

Now that's an interesting typo. :tongue:

Oh dear :wacko: Autocorrect on my phone did that, but how the word tahu ended up in it's suggestions is interesting..

Hello all,

I have a question about this competition... if I was browsing flickr and came across a really good idea for an element for my MOC (In this case a brick built Vezon head) would I be allowed to enter the competition with my own version even though it is heavily inspired by a different one on flickr? I won't forget to cite my sources, of course.

Oh dear :wacko: Autocorrect on my phone did that, but how the word tahu ended up in it's suggestions is interesting..

Must be because you use it so much... :grin:

Cultural influences are OK, right? Like if my villain sported samurai-esque armor and helmet, it's all good?

for the record, my MoC isn't deliberately trying to be a samurai, I'm just using the aesthetic as inspiration.

I have 2 questions.

1) Can we use mask from other figures or do we have to make up our own face/head?

2) Can I use Deviantart when uploading the gallery links?

1) Are illegal connections allowed?

2) Does it have to be structurally sound?

1) Already been covered previously, they are fine. A couple of my entries use illegal techniques even:

"Illegal" connections are fine as long as they do not require modifications of parts.

2) I don't think it matters, though having a structurally sound villain would allow you to build bigger and badder villains more easily :wink:

Hope that helps :classic:

Hello all,

I have a question about this competition... if I was browsing flickr and came across a really good idea for an element for my MOC (In this case a brick built Vezon head) would I be allowed to enter the competition with my own version even though it is heavily inspired by a different one on flickr? I won't forget to cite my sources, of course.

I would try to make your entry as original as possible.

Cultural influences are OK, right? Like if my villain sported samurai-esque armor and helmet, it's all good?

for the record, my MoC isn't deliberately trying to be a samurai, I'm just using the aesthetic as inspiration.

Yes a cultural influence is acceptable.

I have 2 questions.

1) Can we use mask from other figures or do we have to make up our own face/head?

2) Can I use Deviantart when uploading the gallery links?

1) You can do whichever you choose.

2) Yes that is fine, just please provide on of the images in your entry post.

1) Are illegal connections allowed?

2) Does it have to be structurally sound?

1) As TheOneVeyronian showed, yes

2) "structurally sound" isn't easy to judge based on photos, so as long as it looks good in photos then it's fine.

1) Already been covered previously, they are fine. A couple of my entries use illegal techniques even:

2) I don't think it matters, though having a structurally sound villain would allow you to build bigger and badder villains more easily :wink:

Hope that helps :classic:

Thanks, though I don't think mine will be on the big size. Now I need to actually finish it!

To enter, or not to enter?

The only thing I have to lose is dignity.

I'll be hard-pressed to make a proper villain of decent size, when the majority of my HF shells are a friendly Mata Blue, but it might be worth a try.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

This competition has really given me confidence in my MoCing capabilities. Can't wait to work out the final kinks and post my first entry, then see whether I can whip up a second entry. :)

I finally finished my entry. I had to find a few parts I wanted to use. I'll photograph it this weekend. I went the monster/creature route.

Glad to see everyone who has entered so far- You've still got a little less than a month to go, keep the villains coming! :wink:

As currently the person who has the most posted entries so far, I'm actually not sure if I'm posting any more entries for now. I have a room to clear out, a convention to go to and a far bigger action figure project to start planning, and all that's eating into my contest MOC'ing time. It doesn't help that an old friend has recently started talking to me again either! I'll be hard pressed to come up with a decent 6th entry by start of December, that's for sure... but I'll try :wink:

By the way, so good to see all the awesome creations you guys have made so far :thumbup: