VBBN

Battle For The Golden Mask Competition: Discussion Thread

Can it be a Revamp of a existing character, or does it have to be a original one? Also, can I enter a slightly edited version of a MOC I made before?

Yes, you can use a revamped version of a MOC you made before.

And as for revamping an existing character, it's not against the rules, but you might want to remember....

"The winning entries will be judged by the jury upon:

• Overall coolness and creativity

• Inspired originality

• Uniqueness

• Creative use of parts"

Question:

Would multiple figures, IE. a steed and its rider be acceptable as one entry?

It's not explicitly forbidden in the rules, so I don't see why not.

Well how about that, I just disassembled the majority of my bionicle collection, perfect timing!

This contests sounds great, if I get time to go on LDD and make a creation I will do exactly that. :classic:

*cracks knuckles*

I've never entered a contest before, or even won one, but I'm going to enter for this one. Gotta give whoever wins a run for their money.

A quick question for Julochka- I know we can enter multiple times with separate entries, but can we pull out an entrant for whatever reason? I know there's not much point to (unless someone is worried about facing off against the other semi finalists), but I'd like confirmation that this is possible, just in case.

Well, my first entry is already built, now I have to just photograph it - that's hard when the country you live in is seemingly eternally gloomy at this time of year :sceptic:

Well, while I wait for photgraphy conditions to become more favourable, may I ask: how many photos per entry are you allowed in your entry post? It wasn't very clear from the rules, so I thought I'd ask.

And while I wait for an answer to that, I guess I'll start designing my second! :grin:

I have another question regarding the colors in LDD: Can we use pieces that only come in a specific color in one of the new BIONICLE sets?

I ask this because I want to use 3M keetorange shells, and these only come in 2015 Lewa. I know the sets haven't been released yet, but some people already have the pieces, so i think it would be fair to use them in LDD.

I'll be sure to give this a shot, even though I'm pretty new to MoCing. I've got some questions about entires:

1-Are we allowed to enter the same set on multiple sites?

2-How many entries are we allowed, unless it's only one set per site?

3-What's the limit and max pictures allowed, or do you get to take as many as you feel necessary?

4-I assume we write a description and name for our villain with our entry, correct?

Thanks!

*cracks knuckles*

I've never entered a contest before, or even won one, but I'm going to enter for this one. Gotta give whoever wins a run for their money.

A quick question for Julochka- I know we can enter multiple times with separate entries, but can we pull out an entrant for whatever reason? I know there's not much point to (unless someone is worried about facing off against the other semi finalists), but I'd like confirmation that this is possible, just in case.

I would say that withdrawing an entry from the competition would be up to the entrant. But please carefully consider before entering to avoid this happening, as it can create confusion when the judging begins.

Well, while I wait for photgraphy conditions to become more favourable, may I ask: how many photos per entry are you allowed in your entry post? It wasn't very clear from the rules, so I thought I'd ask.

I'd advise you to post the best photo you have in the entry thread and link to a Flickr (or other) gallery of the rest of the shots, but we don't have a specific rule about this.

I'll be sure to give this a shot, even though I'm pretty new to MoCing. I've got some questions about entires:

1-Are we allowed to enter the same set on multiple sites?

2-How many entries are we allowed, unless it's only one set per site?

3-What's the limit and max pictures allowed, or do you get to take as many as you feel necessary?

4-I assume we write a description and name for our villain with our entry, correct?

Thanks!

1. Yes, but, to quote the rules: "Anyone can submit multiple entries to the challenge, but only one (1) entry per person will be considered when the

final winners are selected." This means that your MOC can only be selected from one of the sites where you enter it, so you won't make the top 5 6 times.

2. There are no limits on the number of the entries, so build to your heart's content.

3. We have not placed a picture limit, but I would suggest that you post your best photo in the thread and provide a link to a gallery of shots elsewhere (Flickr, etc.)

4. You may write a description with your entry and give it a name, but this is not a requirement.

I have another question regarding the colors in LDD: Can we use pieces that only come in a specific color in one of the new BIONICLE sets?

I ask this because I want to use 3M keetorange shells, and these only come in 2015 Lewa. I know the sets haven't been released yet, but some people already have the pieces, so i think it would be fair to use them in LDD.

As long as the color is active in LDD, you can use it - I'm not sure when the elements for the coming sets will appear there, but if they are there, you may use them.

Edited by julochka

Oh! Pfff. I thought it was talking Lego elements.

My bad.

Well, that helps me a bunch considering most of my sockets are cracked.

If it's worth anything, I was about to ask about the offensive degrading/defamatory elements, too. :thumbup:

I was sitting here scratching my head going "Lego makes offensive degrading or defamatory elements...huh?"

Edited by Taaron

Are we allowed to use LDD Extended, or can we only use what's in standard LDD?

Already been stated. Only if the parts you use are real parts, and that you would be able to find them in a store. So no Mata Green Shells.

Are we allowed to use LDD Extended, or can we only use what's in standard LDD?

I used Extended mode to make one of my entries, but you do have to be really careful, not just with ensuring you have legit part colour combinations (Bricklink is really helpful for checking this manually, and I believe LDD Manager can check this as well), but also making sure you don't actually use the wrong shade. Trans Dark Blue (Tr. Blue), Trans Medium Blue (Tr. Fluor. Blue) and Trans Light Blue (Tr. Lt. Blue) for example look extremely similar in LDD (especially the latter two) :wacko: If in doubt, I'd just use the standard mode.

But, having said that, if you know what you're doing with regards to what I mentioned above, I can't see why you can't use Extended mode for building, especially since not all legit part colour combinations are in standard mode, but I guess you should wait and see what julochka says about it.

Oh, by the way, I also have a couple of other questions: when submitting entries made in LDD, do you need to link to the LXF file or is the render sufficient enough?

And would a basic render (i.e. one rendered without bevels) done in POV-Ray be sufficient enough as well? I'm rendering an entry on the basic (no bevels) settings right now due to it having a high amount of transparent parts. Do I need to render it with all bevels instead?

I used Extended mode to make one of my entries, but you do have to be really careful, not just with ensuring you have legit part colour combinations (Bricklink is really helpful for checking this manually, and I believe LDD Manager can check this as well), but also making sure you don't actually use the wrong shade. Trans Dark Blue (Tr. Blue), Trans Medium Blue (Tr. Fluor. Blue) and Trans Light Blue (Tr. Lt. Blue) for example look extremely similar in LDD (especially the latter two) :wacko: If in doubt, I'd just use the standard mode.

But, having said that, if you know what you're doing with regards to what I mentioned above, I can't see why you can't use Extended mode for building, especially since not all legit part colour combinations are in standard mode, but I guess you should wait and see what julochka says about it.

Oh, by the way, I also have a couple of other questions: when submitting entries made in LDD, do you need to link to the LXF file or is the render sufficient enough?

And would a basic render (i.e. one rendered without bevels) done in POV-Ray be sufficient enough as well? I'm rendering an entry on the basic (no bevels) settings right now due to it having a high amount of transparent parts. Do I need to render it with all bevels instead?

It's up to you - there is a gold mask at stake here, so I'd submit the highest quality image of my creation as possible! :-)

I'd advise you to post the best photo you have in the entry thread and link to a Flickr (or other) gallery of the rest of the shots, but we don't have a specific rule about this.

To add an extra point to this, please make sure your photo that you attach to your entry post adhere's to Eurobricks' standard image size of 800x600, 640x480 or smaller (But not too small, we want to see what you've built!)

I will do a few additions to the entry thread to highlight these points.

Seems they're definitely pulling out all the stops to make Bionicle's return, memorable.

I will probably enter.

But a few questions.

1. Would multiple figures (a small army) be suitable in the same post as the created villain?

2.Can you write a story to present the moc a bit better?

3.You can enter a new villain multiple times, correct?

4.Can you edit photos, such as a main photo, with a photo editing software?

Anyway.

This will be fun.

Good luck to all others in this contest.

=]

Edited by Zachattacx

Fantastic contest, guys. And I'll be back from vacation with time enough to access my real parts, too =P.

(also please tell me Deevs isn't in the contest because I think everybody wants a fighting chance :U)

Edited by Dorek