Sign in to follow this  
raised

NS eanos

It has been some time since I last visited here, but when I visit, I do like to bring something with me. Therefore, I present you my first -completely finished- build in over a year, a Dutch good carriage of the National Railways (NS), type "eanos". Around 1988 200 of them were build for NS, and they were used to haul all kind of goods, from beetroots to coal to wood, and what not.

14930754914_cc36b474c2_z.jpg

NS eanos #1 by raised, on Flickr

15551503835_43fdd7651c_z.jpg

NS eanos #2 by raised, on Flickr

Nowadays everything on the tracks in the Netherlands is colored red, but back in the days, as you can see, there were still some refreshing ideas about coloring. (The red version IS on it's way though, I'm just waiting for some red 2x2 tiles to get it finished as well).

Very nice MOC, clever use of SNOT and tiles. I'd like to see a large train with >5 carriages of that type. :wink:

Very nice. Do you have an empty load version? Interested to see what's inside. :classic:

Looks good

Saw proposals for your technique on your Flickr, which did you end up using?

Thanks all! I really appreciate the comments!

Nice goods wagon. Very clever technique for the sides. And please keep them blue. That looks so much better than red.

Haha, thanks. To be honest, I'm trying the same thing that Timothy Gould once did with his "ol' Britannia" rake: Every wagon / loco that I build has to have another colour. Its not working as well as planned, cause of the ammount of DB-verkerhsrot on the tracks nowadays. Plus I seem to have huge amounts of red bricks, so thats the reason the red eanos will get finished ;)

Great build, I like that you have put stuff in them!

Technically, its on top of it :P

Nice goods wagon. Very clever technique for the sides. And please keep them blue. That looks so much better than red.

Haha, thanks. To be honest, I'm trying the same thing that Timothy Gould once did with his "ol' Britannia" rake: Every wagon / loco that I build has to have another colour. Its not working as well as planned, cause of the ammount of DB-verkerhsrot on the tracks nowadays. Plus I seem to have huge amounts of red bricks, so thats the reason the red eanos will get finished ;)

It is always nice to see the cars get as much attention as the locomotives. Some great detailing in that build.

Yeah, in my opinion cars are just as important as loco's. Cars are trains too!

Very nice MOC, clever use of SNOT and tiles. I'd like to see a large train with >5 carriages of that type. :wink:

>5 will be horrible, but no3 might get build in grey! With other building techniques though, so not to get bored too much by repetitive actions, hehe

Very nice. Do you have an empty load version? Interested to see what's inside. :classic:

Saw proposals for your technique on your Flickr, which did you end up using?

See here: I used the version with lots and lots of headlight bricks. See here from above:

9542256762_0923f288f0_z.jpg

Eanos WIP-5 #2 by raised, on Flickr

And here is how it looks from the sides, in exploded view:

9542285108_aba75c6bda_z.jpg

Eanos WIP-5 #3 by raised, on Flickr

Edited by raised

Wow, that is an intense building structure on the inside. Could you have used door rails instead to do the ribbing? (though I think the blue 1x2's are rather expensive at the moment), e.g.,

covered_hopper14.jpg_thumb.jpg

PS, with the newer 1x2x1 brackets you could probably save on headlight bricks

Being a student, I didn't want to invest huge sums of money on blue door rails. Also, the moment I saw the 2x4 tiles were released in blue, I knew I wanted to try building with them. Third, this way made it easier to use those headlight bricks as greebles on the sides.

Regarding the post scriptum: Agree, those 1x2x1 brackets could have been used as well for sure. Actually didn't even properly think of it. I just had tons of headlight bricks, and in Prague there was a store where I could buy even more of them for dirt cheap (insert the student-argument again), so no reason to invest in huge quantities of those brackets. But I just realized I nowadays have bigger quantities of those brackets, so I will do some measurement regarding which is heavier and more sturdy. I actually think the brackets might be less heavy and more stable than the headlight bricks, even more when using the 2x2x1 brackets. Time to bring out the scale!

Edited by raised

Indeed, I wasn't thinking of actually using blue door rails given the current price, I was just wondering if in a different color could they strengthen the design?