Happy new year folks!

My new year's resolution is to stop making excuses and get back into building. TC13 might be the catalyst for that :)

Hmm, maybe before TC13 I should shoot a video for the moc that's been sitting for 2 years...

Or should I first wash the two containers full of lego that have been gathering dust for some time?

Come to think of it, the sets on display right now could use some cleaning too...

I'm glad to see talk of others sorting their lego, as I'm in the process of doing the same myself. Luckily I don't have as much as many here so it's a bit less of a hassle to do. But even with my small amount of parts, finding the right one is a pain. 

I was just wondering how others have divided theirs, I'm meant to be doing work now, but instead I'm sat here trying to work out a sensible sorting system. At a high level, I'm thinking I'll need around 40 containers and I've got the following groups:

Axles

Axles with Stops

Axle Pin 3L (both ways)

Axle Pin

Axle Pin frictionless

Axle Towball

Axle Connectors

Axle Connector w/ 90d Axle hole

Pins

Pins 3L

Pin 3L with bush

Pin 1/2

Pins Frictionless

Pin Connector

Pin Connector rounds

Axle and Pin connector Angled

Axle and Pin connector hub

Axle and Pin connector Perpendicular

Bushings

Gears

Driving Rings and connectors

Beams

Beams Bent

Beams Half Width

Links

Panels

Misc parts (U/CV joints, Steering arms etc)

Obviously beams and gears will eventually be split by size, and there will be a few more groups for system bricks or chunky stuff like wheels. But aside from that is there any major group of parts I've missed? I appreciate some of group names might only mean something to myself (I'm still learning the part names!)

Edited by OGTrout

To save space, you can mix dissimilar parts - I put blue 2L axle/pin connectors, easy to spot, in with mixed grey and black axle 3L, and black pin w/friction in with red 3L pin w/bush, etc..

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

To save space, you can mix dissimilar parts - I put blue 2L axle/pin connectors, easy to spot, in with mixed grey and black axle 3L, and black pin w/friction in with red 3L pin w/bush, etc..

I pretty much do the same thing, but I have so many drawers that I organize anything but pins in separate drawers or half-drawers. For 2l friction pins and 2l pin with bush, I have a small bin for them. I just leave the panels and soft axles in a big bin. 

Agreed. Actually the Pub is for non-LEGO related conversations :wink: 

46 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Yesterday there were 444 pages in the technic forum:laugh:

If you're a cricket fan you would know this as a 'Nelson' and have to stand on one leg until the number changed. :classic:

7 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Yesterday there were 444 pages in the technic forum:laugh:

+222... :devil:

On 06/01/2018 at 7:35 PM, mocbuild101 said:

Seeing as we're on the subject of numbers, has anyone noticed that @Jim's post count has just recently gone over 10000?!

Yes, I had! Crazy!

In the Chiron thread, @Jim mentioned he has his Porsche in a display case. Rather than taking that thread off-topic, I'm diverting here to ask the obvious questions: "What display case? Where'd you get it? Got any pics? Was it as cheap as we all hope it'll be? Are you willing to trade it for a pack of peanuts that's only a month over date? It's one of those Duyvis packs so if you want I could open it for you, coz we've got one of those iron plate cutters at work which might be able to do the job".

OK, maybe not ALL questions were as obvious as I initially thought. And yes, I did cut myself last night while opening a pack of nuts. It was nuts, I tell ya.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

@Aventador2004 Following up on your post in Technic Photography; what are you learning to code?

Html, index, and python. I don't think it is enough practice to make a program, but close.

29 minutes ago, JimDude said:

In the Chiron thread, @Jim mentioned he has his Porsche in a display case. Rather than taking that thread off-topic, I'm diverting here to ask the obvious questions: "What display case? Where'd you get it? Got any pics? Was it as cheap as we all hope it'll be? Are you willing to trade it for a pack of peanuts that's only a month over date? It's one of those Duyvis packs so if you want I could open it for you, coz we've got one of those iron plate cutters at work which might be able to do the job".

OK, maybe not ALL questions were as obvious as I initially thought. And yes, I did cut myself last night while opening a pack of nuts. It was nuts, I tell ya.

Mine is original from Porsche. It's very expensive, but I got it because I was jury member for the contest. Can't find it anymore in the Porsche webshop, but I think it was 250 euro *huh*
(very generous of TLG)

But this is a very good alternative. Pure display makes all kinds of cases:
http://www.puredisplay.com/pureshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4776

Hmz, 90 pounds including shipping (to BE). That would be the price I feared it to be...

Thx for the suggestion though!

1 minute ago, JimDude said:

Hmz, 90 pounds including shipping (to BE). That would be the price I feared it to be...

Thx for the suggestion though!

They have all sorts of nice display cases, but shipping the NL/BE makes it a bit expensive. Still very much worth it though.

Problem with the old site is that they display ex VAT prices. So it's the base price PLUS vat PLUS shipping. This adds up quickly.

This is the link to their new website. Prices shown including VAT. Boils down to the same of course, but it gives you a better idea of the pricing.

https://www.idisplayit.co.uk/display-cases-for-lego/lego-creator/42056-porsche-911-gt3-rs-display-case/

As I did not much Legoing in the last weeks, I was pleasantly surprised, that LDD is updated! Claas and Porsche tyres, rims, newer Technic parts are available! :thumbup: :classic:

I guess,  many don't read out of this subforum, so I thought it is worth to share the news.

Also Stud.io is updated as well, Claas tyre is also there - see below! :thumbup:

0P3TD6l.png

Some of the last pictures you'll see from me:

p1070078.jpg

p1510681.jpg

They were taken on a small exhibition in Hungary. Mostly train models, city/medieval dioramas and a few technic models.

Despite being small, the exhibition was awesome because the visitors could play with many of the models, for example my models. The models proved once again that they endure tough playing just fine. It was awesome to see how fast even the smallest kids can discover and learn a model's funcions. Only two models broke severly in the full exhibition, both were the fault of their own builders driwing too fast and derailing :classic: 

1 minute ago, Lipko said:

Some of the last (or latest)?! As in.. ?! Quitting the hobby?

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

Some of the last (or latest)?! As in.. ?! Quitting the hobby?

Yup, you read right, I'm quitting, at least for a few years. There are some more interesting stuff to make. House, kids, etc 

Just now, Lipko said:

Yup, you read right, I'm quitting, at least for a few years. There are some more interesting stuff to make. House, kids, etc 

Okay, cool. There are more important things in life. But you are more than welcome to visit EB once in a while :wink: 

You are still in the progress of building a house and kids?! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

They were taken on a small exhibition in Hungary. Mostly train models, city/medieval dioramas and a few technic models.

Sad to read this, but I understand the reasoning. Where was this exhibition held? It's a bummer I missed it...

40 minutes ago, Jim said:

You are still in the progress of building a house and kids?! :laugh:

Hopefully you have at least the instructions ;)