Sign in to follow this  
Mandate

The CCBS "Improvement" Thread

If I may make a suggestion, rather than use a t-shaped piece with balls at all ends, perhaps a bar piece with three balls on it attached to one of the already existing bones. It'd lend itself to customization a bit better, I think.

The biggest issue there is that it would leave no spare connection points on the lower body at all.

Edited by Aanchir

The biggest issue there is that it would leave no spare connection points on the lower body at all.

Hm, I suppose. I guess any bone long enough wouldn't really look right either...

Do you have some kind of idea of how to manage attaching hands there for characters such as SW that won't use gearbox?

I'm working on something closer to your design, but I think something made of this, this and the T-shaped part could work. Or, to use an old idea, this :

corpsc10.jpg

:sweet:

If I may make a suggestion, rather than use a t-shaped piece with balls at all ends, perhaps a bar piece with three balls on it attached to one of the already existing bones. It'd lend itself to customization a bit better, I think.

Absolutely, I need the T-part to attach an armor, the middle balljoint is the only connection point available, and if I use this and another bone, I loose this connection point. :wink:

Didn't Pridak and Maxilos have waist articulation? Maybe instead of trying to design new parts completely from scratch, we should see how they did it in the old system and start from there (especially Pridak, who was a medium set).

They both used the Vahki hips part (one of my favourite parts, BTW). The closest CCBS equivalent is, IMO, the Waspix Bone, but it would take too much space, since the pin section is perpendicular to the axle / balljoints section (the volume is slightly more than 3x3x5 modules versus 1x3x5 for the Vahki hip part). We could try to build something with the XT-4 torso, though.

But where's the fun if we don't imagine new parts ? :tongue:

Also, I've started to work on an armour, based on GK733's idea and the 2.0 torso armour :

18122918414_46fd8d3026_n.jpg

Yes, it needs improvements. :laugh:

Didn't Pridak and Maxilos have waist articulation? Maybe instead of trying to design new parts completely from scratch, we should see how they did it in the old system and start from there (especially Pridak, who was a medium set).

From what I've heard Pridak's waist articulation has not aged well — many people had issues with their Pridak sets' upper bodies sagging shortly after building them, a problem that only got worse with time. Maxilos had a much sturdier design, but of course, that was a large enough set that it could integrate actual working pistons into the torso. Maxilos also had much more shoulder articulation than a typical set.

They both used the Vahki hips part (one of my favourite parts, BTW). The closest CCBS equivalent is, IMO, the Waspix Bone, but it would take too much space, since the pin section is perpendicular to the axle / balljoints section (the volume is slightly more than 3x3x5 modules versus 1x3x5 for the Vahki hip part). We could try to build something with the XT-4 torso, though.

But where's the fun if we don't imagine new parts ? :tongue:

Also, I've started to work on an armour, based on GK733's idea and the 2.0 torso armour :

18122918414_46fd8d3026_n.jpg

Yes, it needs improvements. :laugh:

From what I've heard Pridak's waist articulation has not aged well — many people had issues with their Pridak sets' upper bodies sagging shortly after building them, a problem that only got worse with time. Maxilos had a much sturdier design, but of course, that was a large enough set that it could integrate actual working pistons into the torso. Maxilos also had much more shoulder articulation than a typical set.

I didn't mean "don't make new parts", I meant "see what we had before that worked, and use that as a starting line to make new parts". I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough (and apparently what worked before didn't work very well or isn't appropriate for the intended scale, so feel free to ignore what I said).

And I actually like your design, Leewan (except for the lower torso "armor" :grin: ).

1 hour ago, Jake77 said:

Definitely a big Improvement to articulation and moc options

Well CCBs is technically now discontinued, so we will probably not see anymore improvements to it...

Contrary to what a lot of others are saying here, I didn't like the lack of technic elements in later bionicle themes, and never had any interest in Hero Factory.

Something between "7116 Tahu" and "8621 Turaga Dume & Nivawk" or "8557 Exo Toa".

All the later CCBS-themes feel like those Ben 10 Lego figures.

13 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Contrary to what a lot of others are saying here, I didn't like the lack of technic elements in later bionicle themes, and never had any interest in Hero Factory.

Something between "7116 Tahu" and "8621 Turaga Dume & Nivawk" or "8557 Exo Toa".

All the later CCBS-themes feel like those Ben 10 Lego figures.

The lack of Technic elements made it possible for us to get more versatile parts that could very easily be used outside the Bionicle context. And most of the CCBS bones still had technic pin connections on them. Also, keep in mind that Bionicle heavily shifted away from it's Technic roots as time went on, to the point where the change to CCBS felt pretty natural. 

If you had no interest in Hero Factory, I am sorry, but you missed out on a lot of cool stuff. 

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

The lack of Technic elements made it possible for us to get more versatile parts that could very easily be used outside the Bionicle context. And most of the CCBS bones still had technic pin connections on them. Also, keep in mind that Bionicle heavily shifted away from it's Technic roots as time went on, to the point where the change to CCBS felt pretty natural. 

If you had no interest in Hero Factory, I am sorry, but you missed out on a lot of cool stuff. 

Do you mean I missed out story-wise, part-wise or set-wise?

47 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Do you mean I missed out story-wise, part-wise or set-wise?

Part-wise and set-wise, mostly. Especially part-wise. The story isn't as fleshed out as Bionicle, but still has a lot of good things about it. At the very least, I would highly recommend getting some Hero Factory parts from Bricklink, they are incredibly useful for MOCs in my opinion.