Jim

[TC5] Technic C-Model Contest - Information Topic

I would say both allowed, because :

• Everyone is able to do those things with little skills and without the need for special or licensed software
  • Functions need to be clear: without a video, the only other useful possibility to explain them is text (added to the image)

Everything looks ok. I would say yes to annotations and yes to combined images.

It would be hard to find perfect balance to suit everyone regarding taking photos and editing them, so it seems it is the best as you said.

I propose that

- Annotations are Enhancements - it's just to bring attention to certain points, which could be done in a paragraph of text instead.

- Composite images are Manipulations - if you're not being restricted to one image, this drastically reduces the need to make them in the first place.

Owen.

There will be no restrictions to the number of images (well, maybe 5 or so.). So everyone can decide whether to combine the images to a single composite image, or use multiple images....or do both.

And what's the difference between an annotation and adding a logo? Why annotations yes, logo no?

Slowly, we're getting to a nice standard for upcoming contests :sweet::thumbup:

I personally feel putting a signature on an image is fine (stop people copying images and posting it on different forums claiming it's their's etc.... and maybe a title like this:

9123077379_f0fddbf9f0_z.jpg

Crawler Loader by legomuppet9, on Flickr

I literally just made the background whiter and changed the saturation a bit and added a title and signature, that's it, all done in GIMP and mainly using Sariel's tutorial but even more basic. I like the results, they look good and are easy to do

however I don't think composite images are necessary as we're allowed more than one photo :sceptic:

Edited by legomuppet9

There will be no restrictions to the number of images (well, maybe 5 or so.). So everyone can decide whether to combine the images to a single composite image, or use multiple images....or do both.

:thumbup:

Maybe not for this contest, but this could be very useful for future contests, where model needs views from a lot of different angles to see all features, functions...

And what's the difference between an annotation and adding a logo? Why annotations yes, logo no?

Annotations (just a thin text line) can be useful to provide quick facts about certain functions of the model, and it is placed on the picture itself, which can help viewer to see all the functions of the model without having to read all the text. This could be great for voters/member which are not Technic/MT oriented, and are here to see the entries, without too deep analysis and vote.

The thing about this though, is that it makes the model look better, without making the model better. So it skewes the perception. In the end, the people at a disadvantage are those who don't do this. If you want the better pictures, without putting people at an advantage (or a disadvantage), I think this could only happen if someone would offer editing the pictures of other people's entries. Then one has the best of both worlds.

Then again, as long as it's merely this I can't make too much of a point out of it really ;)

It makes the photo look better imo, not the model. I also suggested it more of a compromise for people who still want to edit stuff for a photo. With Sariel's tutorial this is very easy. Anybody can do it.

To answer Jim's question and show what I don't want to compete against are (composite) images like this from Mbmc's post:

I liked the photos in the Model Team contest being just that; photos (with the exception of 1 composite image on the Lotus and faking a Lego Box for the tank).

I'd personally prefer:

no logo's, text (perhaps a signature of the creator) or annotation,

no composite image

Just simple clean photos with perhaps adjusted contrast, saturation and making the background an equal colour. Which is all in Sariel's tutorial. No reason for a composite image imo if we are allowed to post 5 pictures, I think that leaves enough room to highlight and describe functions in text with the rest of the pictures.

You guys sure do love picking Jim's rules apart :laugh:. Anyway thought this would be a good excuse to pick up the new bulldozer 42028 but its a shade over the part limit at 617 so will have to pick another set. :classic:

So VKs list is not definitive ?

Jim, I know it might be a pain but could you post a definitive list of valid sets with the rules just so we are all clear?

Still trying to work out where to do a c of a single set or a combined 2 set

I'm not posting any list. It shouldn't be so hard to select one or two sets with a combined maximum of 600 parts.

Go to Brickset, browse Technic, select 2014 and scroll back to 2005.

Here's the link:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Technic/year-2014

At the bottom is a button to scroll through the years.

Alternatively, use this link. Note that some 'super packs' and B models are included in the results, as well as the 'forbidden' set 8287.

Hmm, I expected more sets. 42028, 8069, and 8041 barely miss the cut with 616, 608, and 607 parts, respectively.

Edited by jantjeuh

I just finished an alternate but it was a 900 part set :grin: the timing could have been perfect.

Great contest I will see what I can do..

Found something interesting, this probably goes for a few sets, but Brickset considers e.g. 8419 to be from 2005 (eligible), but Bricklink says it's from 2004 (not eligible). Also, noticed that 8045 has 117 parts on Brickset, but 118 on Bricklink. (Every piece counts, doesn't it?)

Which source should we trust? :tongue:

Edited by Victor Kojenov (TFOL)

I haven't attempted any technic mocs before, but I'm interested in trying this. Are pullback motors in play? Sorry if this has been answered already.

I haven't attempted any technic mocs before, but I'm interested in trying this. Are pullback motors in play? Sorry if this has been answered already.

Yes, you can use those. :classic:

The idea of using two sets actually comes from the pullback sets :thumbup:

The idea of using two sets actually comes from the pullback sets :thumbup:

Great, I just ordered 42005 and 42026. I will try and make a cool race car out of them.

I am thinking of doing a C-model for the 42026 and 42027 combination. Since I'm not much of a MOCer this seems like a nice challenge to see what I can come up with.

(obviously I can't enter the competition, but I still think it will be fun)

I am thinking of doing a C-model for the 42026 and 42027 combination. Since I'm not much of a MOCer this seems like a nice challenge to see what I can come up with.

Interesting choices, two pull back motors to work with but less pieces. Any idea yet on what you're going to make out of them or are you going to wait and see what comes together as you go?

Interesting choices, two pull back motors to work with but less pieces. Any idea yet on what you're going to make out of them or are you going to wait and see what comes together as you go?

I am writing reviews for both sets, and they are officially used together to build the B-model. So I thought it might be interesting to see what I can build with these limited parts. And for me it's better to start with limited pieces :tongue:

Not sure, I was thinking of a bike, robot or some spacecraft/airplane.

Just create a new account and enter under a false name. I suggest using 'Ted'. Noone will know it's you, promise.